The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Barry Ray's Stacked Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
This is a good idea for a cyclic stack I think, and I am interested to know how it compares to Doug Dyment's DAO Stack. The description of the DAO stack sounds very similar (a single addition followed by an either/or choice). Any commentary would be appreciated.
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
I am sad to say, Barry passed away a just a week ago, anyone who has his work is very lucky, as far as I know, most will be withdrawn from sale at some point, unless arrangements can be made for monies to pass to his heirs......

I was lucky enough to be privy to all his works and toughts over a 30 year friendship.....I will miss him very much.....
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Doc, Sad to hear that. 30 years! Wow! You must have GREAT stories and memories!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2405 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Barry's Stack is identical to DAO, though his description is very "bare bones", missing some of the functionality, and all of the performance subtleties. Barry's was published later than DAO, but its provenance is unclear, and might have been independent development. It's hard to tell, though: in his description, he admits that "I had heard of ...", without explaining how/where he had heard of it. So it's an unsolved mystery.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I may be wrong, Doug, but hasn't DAO been published in 2010 in your book Tricyclic?

Because to the best of my knowledge Barry first published his stack in 1999; this is backed up by one of Barry's proofreaders and by the information provided at Lybrary's.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
It should read 2009 instead of 1999.
Sorry for the typo!
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2405 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Nicolino is correct, per the info at lybrary.com. DAO was conceived in late 2009, and published/copyrighted in 2010. My copy of Barry's PDF contains no copyright date, and I don't now recall how I got the idea that it was post-Tricyclic. In any case, I seem to have been mistaken.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
hcs
View Profile
Elite user
Germany, Magdeburg
487 Posts

Profile of hcs
Doug, thank you very much for your words in the name of Barry Ray! He would really appreciate it. Chapeau! Sadly to say that Barry passed away.

I got from Barry his book "Barry's Stacked Deck" in December 2008. Barry Rays words "I had heard of ..." in his book "Barry's Stacked Deck" are related to me. Barry bought in 2008 my German book "Si Stebbins abgestaubt und getuned" (Si Stebbins dusted and tuned). We discussed in several emails different stacks and the possibilities of stack building varying parameters like suit order, color, value and increment and so on. Barry could not really read German. But as a Sudoku lover and puzzle friend he was able to interprete my stacks and the formulas behind the stacks. After that Barry Ray developed Barry's stack (and other stacks) and wrote his book.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
That's fascinating news, hcs. Thanks for sharing!
And heads up to Doug for correcting himself.
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Barry Ray's Stacked Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL