The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Clearing/reseting memory (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ollly3
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ollly3
Hello all, sorry I'm sure this must have been asked before but I couldn't find an answer in search.

Is there a good technique for clearing a memorised deck from your mind? I'm practicing memorising a deck at the moment but when I want to shuffle and restart I get my new images confused with my old ones.
ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Hi Olly,

Are you talking about an on-the-spot memorization? Meaning ribbon spreading or dealing through the cards and memorizing as you go or working with an official stack like Mnemonica?

If you mean on-the-spot, I'm not sure how to help you as that's not the kind of memorization I do, but if you're referring to a stack, I would check your memorization and internalization strategies. The more you've committed something to memory, the easier it is to let it go (and then come back to it later).

What kind of memorization are we dealing with?

Evan
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
ollly3
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ollly3
Hey ebusojar,

A bunch of words there that I don't know the meaning of but yeah I go through the deck once to memorise. I'm using the chapter on cards from Harry Loraynes How to Develop a Super Power Memory.

My problem has been that I'll get half way through and realise I've miss counted somewhere earlier, if I return to that point to try and fix it I get in a muddle with my new and old images.

I am a beginner at this so I guess with practice it'll be easier to override old images then. I didn't know if there was particular techniques for it or not.
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
190 Posts

Profile of the dealer
If you're using the loci system. The best way is to use a new journey. I have five journeys with three of them filled up. If you're not using a journey, try using one, it might help. Once you have a journey, you can later reinforce your card images with your phonetic or rhyming pegs.
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
190 Posts

Profile of the dealer
One more thing, I personally find the journey method works great when memorizing cards.on the spot. I can't do it now because I'm out of practice, but the fastest I've memorized cards on the fly was about a minute and a half, the record is under thirty seconds. I'd love to do it in that time, but for me to come up with 2,704 images is too much.haha
ollly3
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ollly3
Ah ok I had just been using phonetic pegs without a journey. I remember Trick of the Mind talking about that but it hadn't been mentioned in Harry Loraynes book yet. I shall have a go at that next. To be honest I was a little disappointed that it wasn't that hard to memorise a deck of cards so doing two should be a fun challenge, and also trying to get the time down.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
You don't need to do much, there isn't much pre-work.

Just pick out 52 spots (or 26 or 18, however many cards to images) on a known journey or path through a building (your apt and childhood home for instance) and associate each image in that location.

In the meantime, just try associating a color with each deck, so like one deck all images are red, another green, etc.... this can mentally separate the paths as well
ollly3
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ollly3
Great advice thanks. Using the colour of the deck is genius. Is it worth writing my journey down when I'm first designing it or would this be a bad idea?
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Couldn't hurt, but I don't think it is needed.

Biggest thing is to not miss a spot on your journey.

For instance, my apartment is:

Parking spot
Top of ramp to warehouse
Garage door at warehouse
Area before deadbolt door in warehouse
Bottom of stairs past door
Top of stairs
Walkway on roof
Door to apartment
Light switch support beam inside door
Pool table
BeanBag
Magic Shelves
Empty corner
Regular Shelves
Bedroom door
Kitchen Table
Kitchen Counter
Bathroom Door
Bathtub
Shower
Laundry Room

That is 21 and more than I need (Deck for me is 18 images, 3 cards per image). It is that simple, I just have to not miss any of those spots on my verbal walkthrough of my apt. Same for house I grew up in, jobs I've had, schools I've attended, etc.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Another good place to find out about the type of card memorization you're discussing is the Mnemotechnics.org forum.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
You have an admirable problem. But I know how you feel. The standard method of getting over fearful people is to over expose yourself to them in you mind. Imagining them as very large and then very small, with big ears etc. until their appearance does not trouble you.

For cards I would suggest getting into solitaire. There are many to choose from (my fav is Spider with four suits) so you are sure to find one challenging enough for you. By the time you have spent an hour thinking about those cards your memories will have faded enough for you to start again. Then all you have to do is get over solitaire. Can't help you there.

Thanks for mentioing the Mnemonics site. It's really cool.

P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Clearing/reseting memory (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL