The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Glad to see tv is coming up with fresh ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
/sarcasm

Just saw a promo for a "new" sitcom from ABC. About these two guys who masquerade as women to get jobs. Now when Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari did it under the name "Bosom Buddies" they masqueraded as women to get housing.
Never mind, the desired ends are different, I guess it was a totally different idea.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Cue the feminist movement.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Oh, the whole thing was pre-dated by "Some Like It Hot".

There are no more original ideas. Only novel applications. (Sciences like astrophysics are exempt from this.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hasn't everything been recycled since The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy? What is new about that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
"No more original ideas", "everything has been recycled", wow you two could get jobs in film and television.

Well, guess what... there will always be new ideas.
They just don't bother to find them, or find people who can find them, because of attitudes just like that.

That's why every movie you go see is a huge pile of crap.
They don't even try. Why should they?
They have people convinced there is nothing new, and you people just keep watching.

Way to be part of the problem.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh wait I love this part. Let me just make certain I get this right.

Hollywood does not make original pieces, and I am part of the problem? It is not my job to make new things, it is not my job to do anything but either watch or not watch what they put out and you are telling me I am part of the problem?

What do you suggest I do to not be part of the problem? OUR having an attitude like that does not help or hurt them in one way or the other. If we had jobs in the industry perhaps but all we can do is not watch what is on. Those of you who watch what is offered willingly are "part of the problem" and I can see that point.

But your high horse (at least one end of it) attitude about us being part of the problem is not in proportion to our ability to affect change.

What makes you say "you people just keep watching"? What nonsense. Don't tell me I am part of a problem when I am not. Make presumptions and proclomations about YOURSELF and leave others to figure it out on their own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I remember bosom buddies Smile
I also like "Some like it Hot." I got to see it one as a double feature with "Double indemnity."

This reminds me of a conversation I had while working at a movie theater about the difference between "Archetypal" and "Stereotypical" or hackneyed.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-16 11:43, randirain wrote:
"No more original ideas", "everything has been recycled", wow you two could get jobs in film and television.

Well, guess what... there will always be new ideas.
They just don't bother to find them, or find people who can find them, because of attitudes just like that.

That's why every movie you go see is a huge pile of crap.
They don't even try. Why should they?
They have people convinced there is nothing new, and you people just keep watching.

Way to be part of the problem.

I see lots of great movies, even thought the ideas for them aren't perfectly original. Originality isn't a requirement of (or a guarantee for) a good movie. Just like "the trick" doesn't define how effective a piece of magic is; it's a function of the execution - the performer's persona, consistency, relationship with the audience, etc. West Side Story is in no way diminished by the fact that, "Two young people are in love, but their friends/family will do anything to keep them apart" was done hundreds of years previously, in Romeo and Juliet (and, I'm sure, well before that in work that Shakespeare was familiar with). If everyone hear made a list of his or her 10 favorite movies, you wouldn't see too many that would be fairly thought of as "original.". I think Shawahank is still IMDB's #1. Was Stephen King really the first guy to come up with "innocent man busts out of prison"?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Family Guy (or The Simpsons) is a raunchy Flintstones. The Flintstones were a clean Honeymooners. That doesn't bother me.
The only time I get annoyed is when those who make a show or movie claim they want to do something original and then don't.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I actually enjoy a new inturpretation of things. True Grit is a fine example. The first movie was not totally in line with the book and John Wayne imagined the charecter of Rooster one way and Jeff Bridges another.

I enjoy seeing different versions of "caper" films such as Sneakers, or Oceans Eleven or The Italian Job.

Cowboys and Indians is always fun for me to watch.

Watching an "original" idea may not be all it is cracked up to be. Watching another re imagine an old idea is however fun in my opinion and I do not consider myself "part of the problem" for thinking so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Yeah, I don't see the problem with reusing a premise. Where they go with the premise, and the cast, will decide whether it is a good show or not. Bosom Buddies is a sitcom from 30 years ago. The world has changed a lot since then. Lots of room for new twists on the old premise.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Thanks Randi. Smile Seriously, I just said there's nothing original, not that it was a bad thing. As I pointed out, the applications are different. Characters in books have been going on The Hero's Journey since before Odysseus. That didn't stop Huck Finn from being a great book. Magicians use the same basic sleights with minor modifications for most of their tricks, and all illusions are based on just a handful of basic concepts. Still, people manage to come up with new effects and routines all the time. It's when people get lazy and don't even bother to try a different angle that it starts to become ponderous and boring.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Anyone here enjoying the BBC show Mongrels?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
What I miss is the original cast of the brilliant American comedy The Office with the guy from the Daily Show. I am so glad we kept that idea to ourselves. winky-face.
~Will Rogers
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I don't watch that much current TV. When I do see a show or movie that is predictable or straight from the Hollywood cookie cutter I feel like I was cheated out of my time. I do have a few series I watch on ITunes (Babylon 5, Deadwood, and The Shield) which I have watched about 100 times.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The last time I went to the movies was 1989. Early in the 90's I cancelled the premium channels. Now about all I can stand is the history channel, and the travel channel.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Ha! Light the fuse and run away!

Settle down everyone.

It was me just saying "you" "we", me included, are all the part of the problem.
We are getting exactly what we want.

It's because, people put out a show and they don't even try.
Why? Because it doesn't matter if it's good any more.

They'll put this out, people will go onto a forum, and talk about it.
Even though they are talking about how unoriginal it is.
Then you'll always have that person say, "There isn't anything new any more."
Then someone says "There is original stuff we just let them get away with garbage."

Just this time the word "you" was used instead of "we"... maybe on purpose... maybe.

It has come down to where it doesn't matter if it's good or not, just put it out there.
It goes for movies, television, retail stores, even magic.

WE... just let it happen. Because it's really what we want.
IF we didn't, we wouldn't be here trying to communicate with people we really don't know or could care less about.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On 2011-12-16 21:01, Al Angello wrote:
The last time I went to the movies was 1989. Early in the 90's I cancelled the premium channels. Now about all I can stand is the history channel, and the travel channel.

I do watch the History channel, but I have noticed a lot less history these days. The logging/trucking/auction/pawnshop shows are entertaining but I have to strain to find the historical connection.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
In the immortal words of Bruce Springstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5scpDev1qps
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I was worried that CSI was going to become Dexter, but then Fishburn left so they dodged that one. It's actually getting pretty good again with Danson.
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Glad to see tv is coming up with fresh ideas (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL