The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Vaclav Havel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
One of the great political figures of the past half-century died earlier today.

A playwright with political vision, Havel was a leader in the 1989 Velvet Revolution. Later becoming president, Havel ushered in Czechoslovakia's transformation to democracy and market capitalism. During his tenure, the country peacefully partitioned into The Czech Republic and Slovakia.

What other lands have politicians who say such things as:

"The tragedy of modern man is not that he knows less and less about the meaning of his own life, but that it bothers him less and less."

"There can be no doubt that distrust of words is less harmful than unwarranted trust in them."

"Variant translation: There are no exact directions. There are probably no directions at all. The only things that I am able to recommend at this moment are: a sense of humour; an ability to see the ridiculous and the absurd dimensions of things; an ability to laugh about others as well as about ourselves; a sense of irony; and, of everything that invites parody in this world. In other words: rising above things, or looking at them from a distance; sensibility to the hidden presence of all the more dangerous types of conceit in others, as well as in ourselves; good cheer; an unostentatious certainty of the meaning of things; gratitude for the gift of life and courage to assume responsibility for it; and, a vigilant mind. Those who have not lost the ability to recognize that which is laughable in themselves, or their own nothingness, are not arrogant, nor are they enemies of an Open Society. Its enemy is a person with a fiercely serious countenance and burning eyes."

The world has lost a brilliant and powerful voice.

"May truth and love triumph over lies and hatred."
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I wonder what he would say to Ronald Reagan if they met in the beyond, besides thanks so much. It would be a interesting conversation.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Wonderful man - it's always good to see the ones like him and Mandela who are jailed for their resistance and go on to become great leaders - unlike the too many others who go on to become what they once protested against.

Regarding Kevin's comment - it will be interesting in 20 years time to see who or what history is crediting with bringing down communism - Ronald Reagan, John Paul 2, Mikhail Gorbachev, perhaps a ridicilous and impractical system that was unsustainable, or maybe a combination of many factors.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-12-18 22:42, Destiny wrote:
it will be interesting in 20 years time to see who or what history is crediting with bringing down communism - Ronald Reagan, John Paul 2, Mikhail Gorbachev...

At this point, 30% and rising are crediting Obama.

(Don't ask for a citation, kids; it's a joke).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6011 Posts

Profile of motown
I was in Prague a few weeks back. We can all lift a Budvar to him.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Vaclav Havel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL