The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Best paints for customizing TT? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MasiMedia
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of MasiMedia
Does anyone have advice on the best paints to use to paint the TT? I am caucasian and the TT that I get at the shop are a little darker than my skin tone, and I'd like to lighten it a bit but I'm not sure what paints to buy. Any advice on kind (acrylic?) and/or brand would help.

I have used the TT for years without detection, but I'm working on a new routine that leaves the TT exposed a bit and I just want that added protection.

I have heard the "you should be able to perform with a neon orange TT" but that ain't gonna work in this case! Besides, us magicians are fussy and particular, and I believe it's always in our best interest to make sure we really connect with our props, and feel comfortable using them. This little paint job will be great if I can figure out what paints to use.
Anthony Masi
www.MasiMedia.net
daxi
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of daxi
I don't know the answer, but I bet the people who do make up for accident exercises with the emergency services can help. As these accident make up artists make open wounds etc & then add them to the victim & they are thus use to making very realistic blends between skin & injury, thus in mimicking skin tone.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A spray body tan may help hide the TT a little if you are not the correct color. I have never figured out how to make the line disappear where the TT end and skin begins. That is more of problem for me, as the Vernet TT matches me perfectly.

If you need to expose the TT then you are not using the correct gimmick for your trick. I suggest you seek other methods for the solution to accomplish what you are trying to do. Using a gimmick for what it was not intended to be used for in the 1st place, will only result in lost productivity on your part.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Don't paint the TT, paint yourself.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Many years ago I was making a different item and wanted it to totally blend. So I got some flesh-colored paint and then used powder makeup on it while the paint was still slightly damp. Powder makeup comes in about a gazillion different shades, and you can blend them if you need to.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
I recommend Ben Nye stage makeup from any costume store. It's meant for blending on natural tones for theatre- should do the trick
*I knew you were going to read this
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Yes I do like the concept of using make up to feather into the color of your tip. but this only works from the side and that is not usually the angle you flash it at. You never really will ever be able to hide the edge since most tips are not tapered.

does the stage make up stick to the plastic or vinyl material if in use? It is one thing to paint something to match just if looking pretty but to use it the makeup will have to bond stronger.

don't listen to the diatribe that some will toss on you that you should not ever see the thumbtip. Those folks just do not understand the benefits of a better match for particular routines. They really do not understand the difference between a thumb tip and metal tube.

Not to worry, there are those of us out there who understand you have a need to paint the tip and hope we can figure out what works best
One thought I had was to first prime the tip then it will take and hold paint, dye or epoxy better.

At one time I think it was a guy named Matt Roddy was selling standard tips but they were color matched by dipping them in latex.

I never had a chance to get one but I liked the idea he had of not changing what people were used to, like the the size and fit of a Vernet but then adding the benefit of a closer color match and more natural finish.

Also a metal tip would be far easier to paint if you can still find one.
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Do they still make a metal TT anymore?

thanks
Donnie
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The real work in using a TT is not letting the audience see it. Many dealers use purple, silver or gold TTs to show that it's not the color, it's the skill.

What about a dye tube? It's also used on your finger and does not look anything like a real finger.... Why don't people ask about the best color to make a dye tube? Perhaps they have a better skill set.

What about people that palm coins? if you don't want people to see the coin should you A. paint the coin to match your skin tone or B, learn to tip your hand so the spectators don't see it?
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The issue is this.. most TT are made from vinyl.. or from polyethelene.. both NOTORIOUSLY hard to paint.

you can try to color it with magic marker ink.. but you can only make it DARKER.. not lighter... The other issue is finding magic marker ink in the right color.. thinning it enough to tint.. ratehr than color... and so much more.

They're expensive.. but you might want to invest in the FERDI TT. They're AMAZING..
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
If you have a can of Testor's Cullcote laying around, spray that on the thumbtip an let dry before painting, that should help it take the paint. Whether it needs it or not, a custom paint job on a thumbtip has is very satisfying.
Weird is part of the job.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Alex,
Have you tried Testors DULLCOTE on soft tips ? If not I am guessing it might flex off if it does not bond when flexed.

Donnie, while I have not tried them the first one I recall seeing that still is made is used in fire devices. Thumb TIP Flame I think it is called. It is not very thumb like but has a recessed nail bed. Too short I think for other TT effects.

Goblin Tip is spun aluminum made by Morissey http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13496
Now I have no clue why a prop that is made for magic would even use gloss paint. This tip is a fair price and is open to be customized with paint and other additions. M

This one is copper. FunTime Magic seems to make them. http://www.magicgoods.com/products/thumb-tip-copper.php This seems to have more detail but an odd end (opening) I have not figured out yet) I also see a small hole in the end which maybe is for a pull? The photo of their flesh color seems like it is made for albinos. But then since the goal here is to color match so if you like the design, it is an option.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Here is the image of the first tip I was talking about that I have seen used for thumb tip flame. I still think it is too small http://www.fantasyfestival.com/thumb-tip-metal.html
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 23:33, Powermagic wrote:

does the stage make up stick to the plastic or vinyl material if in use? It is one thing to paint something to match just if looking pretty but to use it the makeup will have to bond stronger.

The most common type of stage makeup is a creme/oil base. Because of it's properties it is INTENDED to be used for latex, vinyl prosthetics, and skin. I would recommend purchasing setting spray to coat and preserve the makeup. Perhaps even hairspray can make a nice coat.

I'm don't use TT much anymore, but I'm well versed in stage makeup. The process I'm describing is exactly what's done to blend a latex or plastic piece to match one's skin tone. It's used for masks, bald caps, fake scars etc... a TT should make no difference.

Cheers,
Cooper
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
There is no such thing as a vinyl prosthetic. Vinyl is an oil based plastic.. and is notortiously hard to paint.. and is virtualy impossible to glue.

Makeup is not meant to be substituted for paint.. even on latex.

It's designed to be used... and taken off. It's not meant to be put on.. and left there. Any creme makeup will rot latex over time, even a castor oil isn't completely safe, though it's the main ingredient in Rubber Mask Grease Paint.

I don't have a degree in Cosmetic Chemistry... but I'll put my product knowledge up against anyone on this board in anything makeup related. I've been doing makeup and makeup FX for film and TV for over 25 years.. and have been in makeup labs since I was a tot.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I am sure you agree that latex is different at taking paint than vinyl I have had paint hot glue and silicone just peel right off.
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Quote:
On 2012-01-03 19:16, makeupguy wrote:
There is no such thing as a vinyl prosthetic. Vinyl is an oil based plastic.. and is notortiously hard to paint.. and is virtualy impossible to glue.

I apologize for my mistake. As far as vinyl goes, I would imagine an oil based paint or makeup would work because I assume two oil bases would bond well with each other...

Again, I'm sorry if my science is askew. I only mention makeup because I've made it look seamless on a TT. Of course, it wasn't very long term, but I digress.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I am not trying to be mean hear or call you out. I just dislike how people what to help but are not qualifed to help so just make assumptions and post them as facts We all need to be careful of this desire to help but not have tested what you are suggesting.

I think Makeup could be vaild if it would hold up long enough for a performance. Otherwise there is not point making your thumb look pretty if it wipes off as soon as you put it in your fist.

Check out hte metal tips. If you like the designs, problem is solved for paintable base for a thumb.

I like the size of the one you can get from link above and have been sent a better photo from magicgoods. I still do not understand the flair design and the hole drilled in it but I can tell you it is not white but a dark flesh color. Still has a gloss which makes no sense so would have to be modified anyway.

I will be picking up a couple of two of hte ones I found to play with. I really like a soft tip for what I do but have some issus with them not lasting in some effects I use them in. Color has always been important since I work closer and people ARE smarter than some magicians will wan to believe. For some things I can agree with the diatribe about a match not mattering but for particular effects having a great FIT and color will NOT sacrificing load space is important. I will be honest. I thought you could not get metal tips today until this thread. I was happy to see them and hope I can dress them up to make them work and last longer than vinyl.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 14:58, Powermagic wrote:
mb.

I like the size of the one you can get from link above and have been sent a better photo from magicgoods. I still do not understand the flair design and the hole drilled in it ...

I've seen that flaired end on some hard plastic tips before... not sure why, unless to soften the "line". To me, they hinder bending at the knuckle, but I'm sure could easily be cut off. The hole drilled is likely for a pull, which I have seen used with TTs before.

A metal tip is a good base for paint. The issue of painting flesh tones is being discussed extensively on another thread in this forum. Be sure to check that, if you haven't.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
That flare is a first for me and magicgoods states the hole is from manufacturing process and the flair it to ... fit more and adjust. Hmm I am not following that one. Maybe the flare is squeezed to make the perfect fit? Yes I thought of cutting it off as well but not sure yet how much that sacrfices in load space.

As to paint mixing, I have seen stuff hear or there but do not know of the link you speak. All I can say is that many things I have seen in the past discuss how the hand is not all one color . But with a good base and no fear of it cracking off (solid tip vs flexible) it would be much easier to blend two colors into each other.

For me the key is the color match over the size or shape of the tip. I doubt anyone would ever be able to taper the edge down enough and stil lhave a tip you can remove and replace. So the side angle will always be an issue. that is why color matching is the most important.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Best paints for customizing TT? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL