The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Psychic! Ch5 UK (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
551 Posts

Profile of Nick23
OK, so I tune in to watch Alistair Cook pretend to be psychic... he does a few "run of the mill" tricks using a variety of different methods fooling people into thinking he is real... throughout the show I start to question his ethics as he claims what he is doing is "real", but that doesn't bother me too much.

However 2 minutes from the end of the show, they reveal that Alistair Cook is a magician and everything he did was a trick... which again I have no problem with, and I'm quite pleased they mentioned this.

What I do have a problem with is that next week they are going to reveal how he did everything!!! Smile

Another reputatable magician has sold out!!! Smile Smile
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
I was very impressed by the show.

Yes there was a little whiff of Derren Brown in the air however I think that Alistair Cook’s personality made the program a lot more viewer friendly then other recent 'psychic' style shows.

As with the 'Psychic's revealed' I believe this shows on Friday night. I also have a little feeling that not too much will actually be revealed- don’t hold me to that though.
MagicSquare
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
60 Posts

Profile of MagicSquare
Yes, I too was glad that it was ultimately revealed as being trickery.

However, I was surprised that they are claiming to expose it "all" (yes, that word was used) in the coming series.

After all, some of the methods used seem like "legitimate" magical secrets, and not exclusively the methods of psychic frauds.

Having said that, many of the effects seemed pretty basic, perhaps to make the exposure less damaging?

Also, I suspect that m@t has a point, and that the eventual exposures will be minor. I guess we'll find out on Friday!
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
189 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Hi all!

The show aired on Channel 5 last night....so what does everyone think?

I didn't think that it was an exposure show that was damaging to magicians although perhaps some people do not agree. However, there are another five of these shows in the pipeline and maybe some of these may reveal methods more allied to the magical art. We will have to wait and see.

Regards

Scott
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
551 Posts

Profile of Nick23
The secrets revealed show wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but like Scott said, there are still another 5. The explaination of how to bend a metal rod might damage my spoon bending rountine, but hopefully the audience wont realise the methods are the same.

The unspoken code using the clock/watch has ruined a party trick I do, but apart from that, it wasn't too damaging.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
MagicSquare
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
60 Posts

Profile of MagicSquare
Hi guys,

There's a pretty extensive discussion of this in the "Penny for your thoughts" area, which might be of interest to you.

Here's the link:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;start=0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Psychic! Ch5 UK (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL