The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your favorite Pro Wrestler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Backlund wouldn't give an autograph unless you could name all the Presidents chronologically. Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I used to have a vhs of Hulk Hogan's early days and it had a match he lost to Backlund where he was the heel. Great match.
King Kong Bundy! Another of my favorites.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
When I was a kid, Chief Big Heart and Antonino Rocca were my favorites. Both unusual characters in the ring.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I'm a little surprised to not hear Pat Patterson mentioned. 70's version of Hulk Hogan. Then again, maybe that's why.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Mr Fuji, the Japanese villian who has actually Korean, was my favourite ringside villian. I can vaguely remember him actually wrestling on Wide World of Wrestling in the sixties when I was a kid. They used to bring the wrestlers out to Australia for the show and you could rely on there being a newspaper article annually about the size of Andre the Giant's feet and how they had to book two airline sets for him because he was so big. There was a Venezuellan called Mario Milano who dressed as an Indian chief - also Killer Kowlaski and Gorgeous George often visited. McMahon owes a lot to George - he really kicked off the theatrical side of things with an outrageously costumed character, entrance music, side kicks etc.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I've never followed Pro Wrestling, but I'm a fan of Brock Lesnar now that he's doing real fights and I think it's awesome that he was a Pro Wrestler
Josh Barnett and ken Shamrock have both done Pro Wrestling too.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Back in the day it was Killer Kowalski, Bruno Sammartino, The Golden Boy, and my favorite was Skullhead Murphy, I was rolling on the floor as an 8 year old when my older brother told me there was such a guy, cause I just loved his name. Bob probably remembers that they used to have pro wrestling in Asbury Park, NJ at the Convention Center on the Boardwalk.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2011-12-22 22:29, mastermindreader wrote:
Craig-

No, I don't remember that, but I do remember TV wrestling out of Bridgeport, Connecticut (then run by Vince McMahon, Sr.) often referring to big upcoming matches at Cobo Hall and the Garden.

They even had a semblence (albeit minor) of rules back then. Matches had time limits and were often two out of three falls.

Yes, it was indeed a golden age of wrestling.

Do you remember Johnny Valentine, Skull Murphy, Cowboy Bob Ellis, and Handsome Johnny Barend?

Bob

I think that was out of Pittsburgh.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Don't forget Chief Jay Strong Bow. Smile Not mention Sky Low-Low, a great midget wrestler.

And with McMahon, you had to have a great announcer. That was Bill "Chilly Bill" Cardill. He was also in "The Night of The Living Dead".
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
As I kid I liked the Crusher, The High Flyers (Greg Gagne and Jumping Jim Brunzell), Mad Dog Vachon and guys like that. In the WWF I liked the Big Boss Man. Haven't watched any wrestling in years though.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Chief Jay Strong Bow was the best.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When I was a kid I grew up in Chicago. So Crusher and Dick the Bruiser were just great.

For me as I got a little older the Road Warriors were favorites. I was more of a WCW fan than WWF.

Stan Hansen was fun to watch battle the Sarge once the Iran angle died off.

Anyone remember Jake the Milkman Millman?

Terry Funk, Larry Zbyszko, Nick Bockwinkle? Man one is a TOUGH thing to come up with. Heck one type (Heel or good guy.) is tough to pick a fav.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-12-23 08:18, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Quote:
Craig-

No, I don't remember that, but I do remember TV wrestling out of Bridgeport, Connecticut (then run by Vince McMahon, Sr.) often referring to big upcoming matches at Cobo Hall and the Garden.

They even had a semblence (albeit minor) of rules back then. Matches had time limits and were often two out of three falls.

Do you remember Johnny Valentine, Skull Murphy, Cowboy Bob Ellis, and Handsome Johnny Barend?

Bob

Nope. Definitely out of Bridgeport.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Isn't that STILL close to where the WWE offices are to this day?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-23 10:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
Isn't that STILL close to where the WWE offices are to this day?

Yes- In fact, three years ago we were driving from New Jersey to Cape Cod for Hank Lee's Conclave and when we went through Bridgeport we saw the huge WWE building.

Best-

Bob
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Three Words: Andre the Giant

He brought the crowd to it's feet.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes. Andre was one of the greatest.

Do any of you remember the earlier "Baba the Giant?"
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-23 10:54, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-23 08:18, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Quote:
Craig-

Bob

Nope. Definitely out of Bridgeport.

Then you must be talking about later day wrestling. I'm talking the Smaratino, Strongbow, Mullah era.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Polish Power.... Ivaaaaaaan Puuuuutski!
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-23 11:24, Kevin Connolly wrote:

Then you must be talking about later day wrestling. I'm talking the Smaratino, Strongbow, Mullah era.

I'm talking about when I was growing up in New Jersey in the fifties and early sixties.

Good thoughts,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your favorite Pro Wrestler (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL