The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walk on the water ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DRACO LE MAGICIEN
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
17 Posts

Profile of DRACO LE MAGICIEN
Jesus with no beard Smile

http://youtu.be/-RUZtoDIT1s
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
Its possible only you like it
DRACO LE MAGICIEN
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
17 Posts

What do you mean ?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Amazing, looks impossible...
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I like a little more sense of weight in my water walkers...it does not help that at several points you are moving forward without apparent momentum.

Just my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.

:xmastree: Merry Christmas and Smile Happy New Year
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Draco,
"Jesus really?" try "Cheesy-us"

These men are your brothers it seems...
The Men Who Marchait sur L'eau

Cheesy-us
Your parody is next buddy...I couldn't have made that one up!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
DRACO LE MAGICIEN
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
17 Posts

Thanx for your comments and Merry Christmas Smile
DRACO LE MAGICIEN
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
17 Posts

Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yeah, it's kind of tough with this particular method which is better suited for effects for you appear to be "floating" as there is a subliminal buoyancy to the movement. It is true that if you're trying to create the illusion of "walking on water" there has to be a natural weight to the body. I think this is one of the reasons that I've never liked any methods to this illusions so far. Each step should match the buoyancy and movement of the water to create the best effect. Otherwise it just appears that you're walking on something beneath the water or as is this case, a floating above it. Even with Criss Angel who used about five different methods never really got the look I wanted. I would love to see the effect done where each step would have a subtle rise and fall to match the movement of the water, but then again maybe I want too much!
Ray Pierce
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-12-28 19:29, Ray Pierce wrote:
Yeah, it's kind of tough with this particular method which is better suited for effects for you appear to be "floating" as there is a subliminal buoyancy to the movement. It is true that if you're trying to create the illusion of "walking on water" there has to be a natural weight to the body. I think this is one of the reasons that I've never liked any methods to this illusions so far. Each step should match the buoyancy and movement of the water to create the best effect. Otherwise it just appears that you're walking on something beneath the water or as is this case, a floating above it. Even with Criss Angel who used about five different methods never really got the look I wanted. I would love to see the effect done where each step would have a subtle rise and fall to match the movement of the water, but then again maybe I want too much!

You want too much... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Nice idea, but in my humble opinion, it doesn't look convincing enough. As Ray said already it seems more that you're floating on the water and not walking, since there's no momentum in your walking movements and sometime you only touch the water with your foottips.

But it's a nice try.

Oliver.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I was thinking Andre Koles walking on water looked much better. not the illusion he does on stage (thats awesome as well)
but he not long ago walked across a lake. I forget where but it looked wild and much more realistic then this video.
just my thoughts

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Ray's got it right. Needs more rehearsal, more work.
DRACO LE MAGICIEN
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
17 Posts

Thank you for the comments...next time it will be better Smile

We did our best with all the complexity of many things around this illusion.

That was hard, trust me, really hard but we tried to do the best we can.

Thanx Smile
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Pretty good Draco. I liked it an it makes for a good tele bit for sure.

Of corse in this age where everyone is a critic posting on the Café is bound to bring out the jury in us all.

So leaping on that train for a moment... I do understand and agree with the comments that Ray Pierce makes.

The different looks created by the various methods for creating this illusion do tend to suffer from, to a large extent, looking like the illusion is being achieved in exactly the way it is being achieved. This of course can't help but make the sell of the magic difficult. It can still make for entertaining viewing though.

I'm guessing that to make it look as it one feels it should look (after all we don't know what it actually would look like if someone could walk on water) some kind of computerised recording and playback system would have to be built into the mechanics with the subject first of all walking on the terra firma. Then the movements recorded into the mechanics would be 'played back' when walking on the water. Of course that would be inordinately expensive and would require having the equipment (and possibly the technology) specially made. And even then I'm not sure it would look completely right.

I'm thinking that maybe using the method that Draco didn't opt for but with a few inches of some kind of transparent sponge like material just below where the water walker places their feet might help give that partial buoyant look that would help sell the illusion more convincingly.

It's so easy to be an armchair critic with all the solutions though so I prefer just to say to Draco: Well done, really nice bit for the TV.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
DRACO LE MAGICIEN
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
17 Posts

@Sealegs : Thank you Smile
Robert_Wells10
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Robert_Wells10
I also think it looks nice! Wish to see the new version when you are ready Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walk on the water ! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL