The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » When does IT (levitations etc) work busking and when doesn't it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hello,

Can anyone give me some advice on this? I have only used IT in dark conditions...I am not sure how well it would work on a sunny or even overcast day.....but then could do it not so close up.

Anyone do this kind of thing?

Many thanks,

Danny
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Constantly.

You're suffering from two things; Magician's Guilt and inexperience with IT work.

Just watch your light sources; I've done IT work in broad daylight without being busted. Move your body to create a shadow zone and work within that.

There's tons of great advice and posts here about thread work, search about and have fun!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Thanks, inexperience definitely ticks the box :o)

Still now that I know that it works I will feel less guilty!

Happy Christmas,

Danny
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
IT is like a thumb thing, and linking rings... when you learn how they work, you assume that everyone can see how they work, and that you will get busted...

But not so, grasshopper. They are classics because they actually have withstood the test of time and more successful performances than we can even imagine.

IT outside does have an issue with breezes.. But if you know that, and can figure out how to use it, you can actually throw off those who suspect the real method.

And a general hint about magic, and life. Whatever you can't change, learn to use it to your benefit, the way it is...

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 00:53, DoctorCognos wrote:
IT is like a thumb thing, and linking rings... when you learn how they work, you assume that everyone can see how they work, and that you will get busted...

But not so, grasshopper. They are classics because they actually have withstood the test of time and more successful performances than we can even imagine.

IT outside does have an issue with breezes.. But if you know that, and can figure out how to use it, you can actually throw off those who suspect the real method.

Thanks. I must admit breezes in general sound interesting....especially with cards and sponge balls. Note to self, do not leave loose on the table :o)

And a general hint about magic, and life. Whatever you can't change, learn to use it to your benefit, the way it is...

The Doctor
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
Honestly? When you're doing it inside. Around here, there's almost always some wind, which will completely expose a hummer card, for sure.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Wind doesn't destroy hummer cards ... it does create resistance, meaning they won't spin as long. Glue two cards together for some extra weight, that helps some.

Floating cigarettes in the wind can be real fun ... it makes it "random" ... I'll go to lead the cigarette to my right, but the wind takes it to the left ... so I go with it to the left, spinning around trying to catch it ... you start to get instincts on when the wind will carry it off, and can play it up more and more ... it becomes a lot like watching Mickey Mouse and the Magic Broomsticks ... it's no longer a "levitation", it actually becomes a life of it's own and creates a power struggle. It doesn't work well with hummer cards - centrifugal force.

In fact ... now that I'm thinking about it ... one of my favorite places to float cigarettes ever was the Ocean City Boardwalk ... the sun goes down over the waterway, so if your standing with your back to the ocean you have no "light pollution" behind you. That's actually the biggest problem floating outdoors ... city streets are full of light pollution.

But Danny ... realistically, you are not going to levitate anything during "sunny overcast" ... or even just "overcast" for that matter. Use navy blue thread, and you can start as the sun goes down.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
starksanity
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of starksanity
There are definitely incredible effects that can be performed with IT that do not expose the workings in broad daylight, and resist the wind. They are not levitation effects, but they are animation effects. Eric Evans performed one, and may have taught it at his Las Vegas lecture. He might be able to point you in the right direction. At least you would have something to do with IT until the sun went down.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » When does IT (levitations etc) work busking and when doesn't it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL