The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Yelling? Is that all you got? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2011-12-30 17:18, DanHarlan wrote:
Well, if someone happens to bring a dog, you could say, "Hey, I noticed you have a dog. That reminds me of a joke. Everybody gather 'round and listen up... I'm only gonna tell this once. Come over here, Father, I think you're gonna like this one..."
--Dan Harlan

This forum could use a lot more Dan Harlan, if you ask me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Well I agree with it and I am unanimous in that! Smile
{I looked for youtube clip of Mrs. Slocombe, but nothing came up that seemed appropriate}

Seriously though, if you don't think Eddie Murphy's writing and delivery were highly skilled then I guess we have no more to talk about on the subject of humor.
Adios.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-12-30 23:10, seadog93 wrote: Seriously though, if you don't think Eddie Murphy's writing and delivery were highly skilled then I guess we have no more to talk about on the subject of humor.
Hey Seadog, I wasn't slamming you. I just pointed out an assumptive error in your "all" statement. In fact, I loved Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop. Of course I only watch it on network TV or on disc with TV Guardian, so the language is filtered. It's odd to me, though, that you feel everyone must agree with your assessment of one comedian in order to continue a discussion on humor in general. Do you realize how that sounds?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-12-30 21:48, Howie Diddot wrote:Michael, I agree with you
Thanks, Howie. I appreciate the support. It's refreshing to find that I'm not the only one who thinks the way I do. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
You're right of course; saying "we all" was wrong.
In fact, it's always wrong to say without discussing it with everyone involved in the discussion (in this case everyone who posts or reads this thread).
I stand guilty as charged, and really should know better as a fan of general semantics.

So I will reframe it.
I personally cannot understand how anyone could give this a fair try and not appreciate the skill involved in the writing and delivery, even if they did not agree with the content.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2011-12-30 21:44, Howie Diddot wrote:
Seadog93:

You attend Church??????

Well, my comment was actually a joke about Dan Harlan "cleaning up" a totally inappropriate joke and making it fit to tell at church.

Since you asked though, I do attend occasionally.
I was raised Presbyterian, and I still agree with a decent amount of what I learned at Sunday school, but I no longer care for the services.
My sister attends the church of religious sciences, which I enjoy attending now and again.
I have a special spiritual church I visit when I am in the area (full gospel)
I am very excited about going to Grace Cathedral in SF sometime soon
My dad sings in the glide memorial choir (you can see him in Will Smith's movie for about 1/4 of a second) and I've been there a couple times.
I have several areas of my house permanently dedicated to prayer, meditation and/or ritual (some for just one, some for all).
I had (part of me still has) aspirations of opening a small spiritual church for candle lighting, prayer and counseling; but when I started thinking about the practicals of it I realized that I would basically have to set up and run it as a business, which is not at all interesting to me ...but I appreciate collection plates a lot more than I used to!

And I'm a mormon.
Just kidding, have you seen those commercials? I should have said
And, ...I still like Eddie Murphy.

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
When you ready to go to Grace Cathedral in SFlet me know, I'll attend with you and we can chat
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Thanks, I may.
I will probably be chasing my 2 and 5 year olds around, so it depends on the day, but I do appreciate the offer.

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Buzz, I just want to clear up one misapprehension. No child has ever died trying to swallow a modelling balloon. You and the others who have condemned that routine have never EVER been able to cite a single instance of a child coming into danger.

You might as well say that my vent act is dangerous, because it encourages children to stick their hands up the rear end of a dog - which any dog with react to badly. It is pure rubbish. My act does not endanger children.

I have done that routine several hundred times a year for a decade without any problems - except from people on internet forums who should know better. Tony
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
Quote:
On 2011-12-31 06:07, TonyB2009 wrote:
Buzz, I just want to clear up one misapprehension. No child has ever died trying to swallow a modelling balloon. You and the others who have condemned that routine have never EVER been able to cite a single instance of a child coming into danger.

You might as well say that my vent act is dangerous, because it encourages children to stick their hands up the rear end of a dog - which any dog with react to badly. It is pure rubbish. My act does not endanger children.

I have done that routine several hundred times a year for a decade without any problems - except from people on internet forums who should know better. Tony

I still do the balloon swallow sometimes at my family hoiladay parks but not at birthday parties
I made the mistake of making balloon swords at the end of the show after I had done the swallow and I had some of the boys copying (did not see good on me)
Not saying they would choke but it was a bad idea to do the swallow then hand balloons out.
Abit like doing ping pong balls from the mouth then handing out ping pong balls
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I open with the balloon swallow, and it is an hour before they are handed balloons at the end of the performance. In a decade I have not seen a child try to swallow a balloon. I also issue a warning at the end. The danger is not exaggerated; it is non-existent.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I remember several years ago someone posted in here saying getting the children to react was easy. Then I looked at their video and it was him telling them to shout louder and doing all that "I can't hear you" nonsense.

I think having parts in your show that make the children react loudly is a good thing especially for younger audiences but it certainly shouldn't be your whole show. They should be well thought out and reasoned. I think this idea of loud=good is as unconsidered as loud=bad.

I personally don't like the idea of opening a show with "Off the meter" or a clap-o-metre as they're pretty much the prop equivalent of telling the children to shout. I do however use a clap-o-meter in my show but I don't kid myself that I am a great performer just because it gets a loud reaction. I use it with several gags and bits of business to get a big cheer and clap for the volunteers. I also use it to tire-out over excited 8 year olds or rouse shyer/politer crowds. It's in there for a purpose not just to get noise for noises sake.

As far as swearing in stand-up goes. It is true that some comedians use it to get a bigger laugh for a crap gag but you also have to remember that stand up is also about being your true self on stage. Eddie Murphy and Billy Connolly aren't funny because they swear they're funny and they swear. It wouldn't make sense for them to change who they are by editting themselves.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-12-31 06:31, TonyB2009 wrote:
The danger is not exaggerated; it is non-existent.

Tony;

I am not attempting to ridicule you; I am trying to let you know of the danger

If you think the danger is non-existent; Tell that to the mother of this child.

http://www.u.tv/news/Child-dies-after-ch......fc3260ae

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a warning

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5087.html

I am of the opinion that balloon twisting is fine; blowing up a balloon, tying it and giving it to a child under the supervision of an adult minimizes the risk.

Doing a routine of placing a balloon in your mouth and inhaling; and then giving the kids an un-inflated balloon is extremely dangerous; some kids will place the balloon in their mouth first and then inhale to start to blow it up.

You can issue all the warnings you want at the at the end of the show, when they go home and they try it, they still have to put the balloon in their mouth to blow it up.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2011-12-31 08:06, magicgeorge wrote:
I remember several years ago someone posted in here saying getting the children to react was easy. Then I looked at their video and it was him telling them to shout louder and doing all that "I can't hear you" nonsense.

I think having parts in your show that make the children react loudly is a good thing especially for younger audiences but it certainly shouldn't be your whole show. They should be well thought out and reasoned. I think this idea of loud=good is as unconsidered as loud=bad.

I personally don't like the idea of opening a show with "Off the meter" or a clap-o-metre as they're pretty much the prop equivalent of telling the children to shout. I do however use a clap-o-meter in my show but I don't kid myself that I am a great performer just because it gets a loud reaction. I use it with several gags and bits of business to get a big cheer and clap for the volunteers. I also use it to tire-out over excited 8 year olds or rouse shyer/politer crowds. It's in there for a purpose not just to get noise for noises sake.

As far as swearing in stand-up goes. It is true that some comedians use it to get a bigger laugh for a crap gag but you also have to remember that stand up is also about being your true self on stage. Eddie Murphy and Billy Connolly aren't funny because they swear they're funny and they swear. It wouldn't make sense for them to change who they are by editting themselves.

I agree completely, George. Thanks for chiming in.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2011-12-31 08:06, magicgeorge wrote:

Actually, I think Clap-O-Meter is perfect as an opener if you use it as a warm-up. I always use a warm-up, as recommended by David Ginn. It gives the children an idea of how to show their appreciation for things they like in the show. (Kids don't automatically clap when they like a routine.)

Of course, since I'm having them clap it's not a matter of getting them to shout as loud as they can.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Buzz, like everyone else you have produced something tragic but irrelevant. That unfortunate girl died while trying to inflate a balloon inside a bouncy castle. It is a completely different situation than what I do in my shows.

The government warning is also irrelevant; it is about the danger of uninflated balloons. Again it bears no relationship to what I do.

I stand by what I said. Not a single person here, or elsewhere, has produced a single shred of evidence that the balloon swallow is a dangerous routine to present for kids. There is a simple reason for this; it is not dangerous.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tony:

I was not advising you not to perform the routine, I was only passing along the information on the dangers of performing a balloon routine in front of children that may imitate what you do and choke.

When you posted that it was ‘non-existent” I posted information of past warnings and tragedies.

Have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Buzz
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Tony,
I don't know if a child would try a balloon swallow or not because of your routine, but they MIGHT do it. Some kids have 260 animal balloons and pumps at home. But the other issue is that some parents might think it is inappropriate for you to do it (right or wrong), and then not want to hire you or they might talk about you to other parents and say you did tricks that might encourage kids to do dangerous stuff. Now, even if they are wrong or going overboard with their though process, do you want parents saying that or not hiring you? (even if you get plenty of work). I bet your show is excellent and lots of people recommend you,but still, you know what I'm saying.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Buzz, you pointed out dangers of another sort - of children INFLATING their own balloons. It is a different matter. During my adult presentation of the balloon swallow I have two volunteers try to inflate 260s. I would not have kids do that.

Dan, in thousands of performances I have yet to see a child try to copy it. They are less stupid than we like to think. And no parent has ever raised a concern. They have occasionally raised concerns about other routines, but never this one. If I had the slightest worry I would not have it in my routine. But I get asked am I the guy that eats the balloon, and get booked on the strength of that. Behind my talking dog, it is my most popular routine and gets me the work.

Parents can be funny creatures. I have had them specifically request glass walking, fire-eating, bullet catch and knife effects. Sometimes I have to say no. I would be far more concerned about doing a glass walk for young children, yet schools seem to want it. The balloon swallow causes me no such concerns.

And a very happy and prosperous new year to you both. Tony
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Walking on glass!?
Now I'm yelling...
...and swearing!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Yelling? Is that all you got? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL