The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Optical illusion question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
935 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I am simply trying to identify by name the following:

Every now and then a picture illusion is produced--even in commercial advertising, in which a flat depiction changes its perceived state when the picture is either slanted, or the viewer changes their vantage to the left or right.

These are sometimes as simple a s sticker, or a DVD cover.

I ask because I was wondering if these had a genre-specific name, and more importantly, if the base material with the "prism-like" quality is obtainable in raw form.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Ron
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
935 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Figured it out myself. Lenticular Printing.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of Anatole
It's been quite a while since the original post, but I think lovers of optical illusions will find this of interest.

Many will call this religious kitsch. I apologize in advance if it offends anyone. But I think it's the most amazing "optical illusion" based on lenticular printing that I've ever seen.

http://www.changingworld.com/catalog/len......487.html

I ordered a few of the postcards and they are great. By tilting the cards up and down (rather than left and right) a very detailed painting of Jesus changes into a painting of Mary.

What is even more amazing perhaps is what led me to a Google search for this item in the first place. Back in the 60's and 70's there was a store near The Magic Shop in Norfolk that carried very unique "kitschy" items. One of them was a large painting of Jesus that changed into Mary when you walked past it. The detail in the two images was amazing. I was curious as to whether the lenticular painting was still available, so I did some searching on the web. I didn't find the large painting from the 60's, but eventually I found this item, which I think is identical to the one I remember but scaled down to a very affordable postcard.

BTW, be careful browsing through the other pages at this site. Some of them contain pictures that one might consider risque.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Kevinh5
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Kevinh5
Yacov Agam is an artist known for his lenticular lens effects. He is quite collectible and still affordable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Optical illusion question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL