The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Introducing: The Davis Dancing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
The latest from my workshop:

Made of select laminated balsa wood, the entire cane is handcrafted from start to finish. The head and foot are yellow pine, maintaining a light weight but affording a more sturdy contact point for accidental bumps.

Carefully and exactingly balanced, a variety of hookups may be used according to individual preference.

While the prototype was finished with the traditional black laquer and white tips, the cane can be easily customized to the user's preference. All decoration is handpainted.

If there's interest, I would consider taking custom orders starting after the first of the year.

Full cane:

Head of cane:

Foot of cane:

Thoughts, comments, questions, suggestions and critiques always welcome!

Happy New Year, everyone!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3410 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
And the cost for your time and effort?????????
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
*grin*
My production cost, or the sales cost?

I'm assuming you mean the latter.

$80 plus shipping/handling for the base model. This will include a padded carry bag, and I am tinkering with a solid box/tube for a more substantial protection. Customizations to the cane (special materials, retractable mechanism) would increase the price.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2901 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Looks really solid! How much does it weigh?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Gracious, I totally forgot to put that, didn't I? My apologies.

I get more wrapped up in the crafting than the details!

Complete stats for the stock model, stained and painted:

Weight: 2.5 ounces, or 70.87 grams
Length: 39 inches, or 99.1 cm
Circumference: 2.5 inches, or 6.5 cm
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I really like this. I wonder how I can make this into a steampunk idea, as far as presentation goes?
The gold trimming and the bejeweled adornment are nice touches. Great job Davis!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Yes...very nice looking! I am considering adding a dancing cane to my show at some point. I will DEFINITELY consider yours when I do!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Why matte Black?
If you use black it should be shiny (like the Creekmore cane's)but why not a lighter color...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I had an English cane made of the laminated balsa. The cane body was also hollow with a reinforcement block at the center, head and foot only. The head of the cane was a bit more streamlined, was that a stock piece? Or can you ke it rounder?
The box is important, as I close a car door on mine as it slipped from a cardboard tube.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
@Tristanmagic:

The matte black/white tip (as explained above) was for the prototype- I personally work against a light colored background and in this case black stands out more than a lighter color. Also, as explained above, the cane may be customized (color, ect) for the individual.

This is the stock/prototype model only. I am more than happy to paint or stain yours any way you please.

@Magicians:

In this case the body of the cane is solid balsa, it is not hollow core. This could be done (ie: for retractable gimmick). The head and foot are stock pieces, but I will be posting available variations within the next several days.

Carrying case will be either PVC or wood; I'm still experimenting.

Thanks for the interest, guys!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Any updates as to the case or new designs?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Actually, you beat me to it; I was going to post an update today:

To keep costs low, production easy, and for maximum protection, I've discovered that PVC is the easiest and best carry case- padded with foam at both caps for cushioning and using a slip cover bag for the cane seems to be working well.

The box design was proving to be too unweildy and unreliable. It can certainly be done, but it adds substantial weight to the overall portability.

My supplier delayed my balsa shipment, so as soon as that comes in, I will have pictures posted of the alternate designs.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Balsa shipment arrived yesterday; I've begun roughing out the next two cane prototype variants.

Shaping and sanding are complete on the first of the two, second coat of stain/sealer is currently drying. For those requesting a lighter color and a natural wood finish, this will be right up your alley.

Sneak preview of work in progress:

Full length:

Head of Cane:

Foot of Cane:

magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
380 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Nice job
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
380 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Do you have any video of cane in action?

Michael
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Actually working on getting some up within the next week. Will have updated pics of the finished second prototype up tomorrow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Introducing: The Davis Dancing Cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL