The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Left or Right? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
I just picked up my first book on magic. It has quite a few card tricks in it. In the instructions for most of them it designates which hand should be placed where. Now, I am left handed and I'm wondering whether to learn to do these tricks how it says or should I flip everything?

Thanks a lot,
Desmanthus Smile
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, for with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hi Desmanthus!

Rather than trying to swap everything (which will probably leave you confused and bewildered) Smile if you can perform the needed moves with the right hand, you could go ahead and learn them that way. It certainly wouldn't hurt, and I believe that it will spare you a lot of grief. Smile
If you can't learn the moves with the right hand, then forget that this post exists. Smile
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Use whichever hand feels most comfortable.

Ideally, you could learn to do all sleights ambidextrously (if possible).

Personally, I've discovered although I'm right-handed, I prefer to do most sleights left-handed. I'm not too sure why...
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree with Philemon, use whichever hand is comfortable, but as you are able, learn to use both hands.

An anomoly of our learning process is that the primary hand is so well trained at most day-to-day things that it has to be untrained in order to perform some sleights, therefore quite often, your off hand will pick up new moves a bit better.

Personally my goal is to perform all effects with both hands, and therefore become amply dexterous. Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
As a lefty, I've found it easier to simply flip the instructions and regard any pictures as simply mirror images of what I'm doing.

BTW, you know (of course) that the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body...and vice versa. Meaning that only left handers are in their right minds. Smile
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
A great many current publications have passed on the left-right thing and have gone to "dominant hand".
That makes it easier all 'round.
Find which hand is the more comfortable for a specific move or series of moves and then just substitute the word "dominant" for "right", if necessary.
That may work.
But I wouldn't recommend forcing yourself to slavishly follow something just because it was in a book.
Remember -- this is supposed to be fun! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
dukenotes
View Profile
New user
Winchester, KY
70 Posts

Profile of dukenotes
Hi Desmanthus,

I would say to do it in such a way that you truly understand the instructions, which have very fine details when dealing with finger movements.

Once you know you are truly following the instructions, then decide which hands hold what.

It's funny, but I'm a musician primarily, and although I'm right-handed, my left hand is the one that is used to doing the most intricate things. So I often swap hands for what is written also.

Good to meet you!

Duke
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
I am left handed as well. I tend to learn from a book as written, and in person opposite, (like looking in a mirror). As Philemon, Bro David and Peter, have all said whichever is the most comfortable is fine. The most important thing is to learn the technique or the principle and apply it as performance dictates and your own "flair", You may have to re-learn in the other hand,
hope that helps
Telemus
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I'm also left handed, have been since birth. Ha ha. I always flip-flop the directions as I have a very dumb right hand. Us left handed magic guys, I think have to work just a bit harder than right handed magicians. Right handed magicians please don't shoot me for saying that. Smile
Ryan
View Profile
New user
Calgary
89 Posts

Profile of Ryan
LOL, after reading this thread I tried a pass in my right hand. Even the mechanic's grip feels wierd.

It's kinda funny, but I can do some things in one hand, and other things in the other. like the Chairlier cut in my right, and the pass in my left. I am sure with a little practice I can do both hands.
Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
Thanks for all the Great advice. I love this place
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, for with strange aeons even death may die."
H.P. Lovecraft
haulboss007
View Profile
Regular user
Carlsbad, CA
103 Posts

Profile of haulboss007
I learn like Telemus, but the way I look at it is, you should learn by whatever you find most comfortable

Peace

Smile
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
Its very hard sometimes. Because most people can be right handed but do somethings better with there left. As a example. The Charlier Cut. I do it better with my left and I'm right handed. But when it comes to magic you should try working with both hands.
Desmanthus
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, MI
51 Posts

Profile of Desmanthus
Thanks a lot for all the replies!
Sincerely Yours,
Desmanthus

H.P. Lovecraft
Dolini
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Dolini
Desmanthus,

A good friend of mine is Woody Landers. You may or may not know him. He in my mind, is one of the best slight of hand magicians I have seen. I asked him a question similar to what you asked. His answer was much like gimmick1586. He did somethings right and some left. He considered himself a left handed person.

I hope this will help.

Dolini Smile Smile
John O'Shea Dolan
johnosheadolan@hotmail.com
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
when learning a new task I "try" to do it left handed first, If my left hand can do it then I'll have little problem with my right.
Oh and a good way to break bad habits done with your dominant hand is to do it with your off hand, as you know what you have to do but your hand does not, and you have to teach it, when you go back to your dominant hand your brain will remember the small points that you were teaching your off hand, and do it right. (thank's to my HS fencing coach for this, it works)

On a slightly different note, I heard you
"should" do tricks right handed as the audience will notice less as this looks
"normal". That if you do something left handed that the person subconcious will say hey, there's something wrong with what your doing, and this increases suspision.
I think your presentation should make up for this but I'm right handed. Smile but this guy is left handed
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-05-06 11:06, Desmanthus wrote:
... Now, I am left handed and I'm wondering whether to learn to do these tricks how it says or should I flip everything?

Thanks a lot,
Desmanthus Smile

Desmanthus,

I like to think of myself as ambidextrous, but others tell me I simply have trouble with commitment! However, there are, simply put, things you cannot do if you "flip" the directions. For instance, you must hold the deck in the LEFT hand and use the right hand to riffle the corner of the deck for a spectator to peek a card. (If you "flip" and use the other hands, the spectators will not be able to see the indices of the cards.) Since the deck is, therefore, necessarily held in the left hand for the peek, it would not make much sense to change hands to perform any sleights that may happen subsequent to the peek. I think you will find a lot of "finger tip" controls and other sleights pretty well demand right-handedness.

Tangential question: Does anyone know if "left-handed"decks have been printed?
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
My vote goes with learning to do the sleight with both hands if possible but if not then just flip the right for left and visa versa.

Hope my words were of help!
Lance R. Wilson
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
I agree with everybody. Do what feels more comfortable. (This coming from a lefty, who does different things in different hands!)
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Left or Right? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL