The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Samoya (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1132 Posts

Profile of Salby
What's the difference between a Samoya Coin Set and an Ultimate Wild Coin (UWC) Set??

My understanding is that that are completely the same, except the UWC comes with Silver/Copper inserts as opposed to 1 Silver and 1 Copper insert.

Am I correct??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2610 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
The UWC set will work if (as stated earlier) you can get an extra (milled) silver coin or copper coin that will nest in either shell. Depending on which direction you want to go. I have two Clad dollar sets I'm interested in selling. Both come with the extra coin!

PM my for pictures
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Rob Thompson
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Rob Thompson
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2012, bowers wrote:
I ordered samoya last night from rob thompsons site.
if anyone is intrested in this you go to www.iwantthattrick.com
that will get you there.
todd
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
412 Posts

Profile of karnak
I know this is a really old thread, but I just discovered it, so...

Quote:
So, the solution to make "Samoya" work with a Johnson Sun/Moon from a Hopping Half set will be to find or order a half dollar Kennedy coin shaved and re-milled to fit a non exp [

I have Johnson’s Hopping Half set, so I have the included Sun & Moon set. (Great value, BTW.)

I also have Johnson’s Ultimate Silver & Copper (which, for those who may not know, is basically a Scotch & Soda set using an English penny instead of a Mexican 20 centavo). So, it includes (and therefore I also have) a shaved English penny — which, as it happens, does fit into the Sun & Moon set’s copper shell. (Loosely, in terms of diameter; but with good coverage, in terms of depth/thickness).

With appropriate revision of the performance (for use of a shaved English penny, instead of a shaved half dollar), is there any reason this combination wouldn’t work for SAMOYA? (I don’t have the DVD, so don’t know all of the routine’s details or nuances.)

On the other hand, the Ultimate Copper & Silver also includes a shaved (and very thin) copper/silver coin (or “insert”), which also fits loosely (but also deeply, well covered) in the Sun & Moon set’s copper shell. So, if only its silver side was ever displayed, could it substitute for the shaved half dollar that the standard performance of SAMOYA calls for?

Just trying to figure out if I really have all I might need, were I to order the SAMOYA DVD....
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
3752 Posts

Profile of videoman
Sounds like you do but if the components don't fit well then you may have problems.

What you need for Samoya is a shell, a copper/silver coin, and a regular coin that is the opposite color of whatever the shell is.
The C/S insert and the regular coin need to fit in the shell.

Typically it's an ex copper shell along with both a regular C/S and silver coin.

Samoya is one of my all time favorite coin routines. I think it is fantastic.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5248 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Videoman, I have quarter, half, and dollar size Lassen Sun and Moon sets from Todd's Commercial shop back when he was running it. All are supplied with extra coins and all work fine for Samoya.

Jim
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2018, J-Mac wrote:
Videoman, I have quarter, half, and dollar size Lassen Sun and Moon sets from Todd's Commercial shop back when he was running it. All are supplied with extra coins and all work fine for Samoya.

Jim

Smart purchases.
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
412 Posts

Profile of karnak
By way of clarification: can anyone confirm the impression I’ve gleaned from some Café searches that both SAMOYA and Roger Klause’s Soleil et Lune use the same set of coins — basically a “reverse Sun and Moon” set, with an appropriate reduced-diameter coin?

Such that if I have the correct coins for SAMOYA, then I’ve also got the correct coins for Soleil et Lune? (And vice versa?)

I don’t have the correct coins for either routine, yet. Just wanting to verify that when I do, I’ll be equipped to work on both routines.

Any differences at all, between SAMOYA and Soleil et Lune, regarding the required totality of coins?

(Also, am I correct in understanding that Todd Lassen’s TWIAD set corresponds to what I’m looking for? Good for both routines?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
870 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Yes, both Samoya and Soleil et Lune use the same coin set.

Lassen's TWIAD coin set corresponds exactly to what you're looking for.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1854 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
TWIAD is close but not a true sun/moon. They might work ok, but probably not as clean when flashing the dirty side.

From one of Todd's blog posts listing some sun/moons for sale:
Quote:
These are the true, very burnable, sun/moon sets, not the TWIAD variety with thick insert.

The key thing is to have the [ of the sun/moon cleanly fit over a normal coin (possibly shaved) that matches the hidden side of the sun/moon insert.
Like these dollar sized penny/Ike sun/moon coins:

https://coolotis.wordpress.com/2014/08/0......d-again/
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
412 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2018, inigmntoya wrote:
The key thing is to have the [ of the sun/moon cleanly fit over a normal coin (possibly shaved) that matches the hidden side of the sun/moon insert.

And that’s why I don’t quite have what I need, from my various Johnson sets.

I have the standard Sun & Moon (from the Hopping Half set): copper shell, copper/silver insert. Hidden side = silver.

But the additional cut-down insert I have from Ultimate Copper Silver is a cut-down copper, not a cut-down silver. Hence does not match insert’s hidden side. Oh, well....
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
870 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I have the TWIAD set from Todd and it works just fine. Todd was the one that told me it would work and it does.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4483 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The TWIAD set is the exact set used on the Samoya dvd. "Soleil et Lune" by Roger Klause, (taught by Lance Pierce) uses a reverse sun and moon using a "Half dollar set" (Walking Liberty Half and an English Penny - "King George V" Version) custom made by Connie Hayden. The copper and silver parts are the same as the TWIAD set. One more great routine that uses a "reverse sun/moon" half dollar set (in this video the set is explained very well) is "Fidget" by Doug Brewer on the Unexpected Visitor vol 2.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Samoya (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL