We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Davenport's Magic Shop website gone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nooner
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of nooner
I have been trying to get to Davenport's Magic Shop website for a few days now and it just kept failing for "site not found". Today I see that their homepage has been removed from Google search results. Does anyone know if the company is still operational?
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi Nooner,

No need to worry I've just spoken to the Shop and they inform me that the web site is currently down. The guy I spoke to didn't know when it would be up.

All the best

Mike
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of nooner
Hey Mike,

I figured it was just website problems but then when it went missing from Google search, it looked some some Men in Black cover up. Glad to hear it is nothing serious.

Thanks for checking on this for me.

Jim
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Hi Mike,
Happy New Year!!, see you at the Circle sometime
Regards Steve (Jones)
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi Steve,

Not seen you in a long while. Not been up the Circle much the last couple of years. Hope to spend more time up there this year. Happy New Year to you and your family.
All the best

Mike
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
532 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
If you have never had the opportunity to make the trek to the Underground and visit this shop you have missed a singular magic experience. It is gratifying to know they are still going strong!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2646 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-31 10:04, Michael J wrote:

No need to worry I've just spoken to the Shop and they inform me that the web site is currently down. The guy I spoke to didn't know when it would be up.

That is a very similar response that you'll often get from Davenports when you want to buy a trick - it's more often than not out of stock and nobody can tell you when it will be back in.............if at all.

I think they carried more stuff when my Dad used to shop there during the 1940's - even with a war on.

Good old 'Davvi's customer service' - true to form (as always)!
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-01-02 10:51, rhettbryson wrote:
If you have never had the opportunity to make the trek to the Underground and visit this shop you have missed a singular magic experience. It is gratifying to know they are still going strong!

Too right.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Davenport in London is alright, have to say though for experience, knowledge and a good old chat you can't beat Tam Shepherds in Glasgow.

The idea of going into a magic shop- and being served by a complete legend and gentleman in the shape of Roy Walton is something else -- not to mention his wife Jean Walton ( nee Davenport).

Its a right old dynasty the Davenports -- reminds me I must indulge in my guilty pleasure of leafing through the Davenport catalogue-- pages and pages (506 pages no less)of old style magic adverts like they used to be before t'internet came along.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Sadly, Davenports are let down by an angry Old Dear who is beyond Customer Service training and some seriously smug card tossers behind the jump! (except for Paul)

Ha! The catalogue of 500 plus pages! Of which, about, a dozen items are in stock!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4928 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of rasp
Forget Davenports, I have visited the shop on numerous occasions over the years. Sadly the last few times have been very disappointing.....Roger is spot on with his comments.

However a shop that is well worth a visit is Mike Danatas, in Bournemouth. Very small shop, but packed to the rafters with stock. Mike has the patience of a saint, and a very honest guy........sometimes too honest for his own good, if he doesn't think an effect is right for you or he doesn't like the workings himself, then he will tell you not to waste your money, (how many shop owners do you know that would do that).
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
178 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Davenports is a funny place, you would think that the main London magic shop would cater for magicians, sadly it really is missing the trick ! The same could be said for International, tired and boring, opportunities missed if you were to ask me ?

Ben
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Dear me. Let's hope somebody takes this on board.

I've enjoyed visiting all those mentioned above, except Bournemouth, which sounds good.

I've noticed several rather good books in Davenports; the same goes for International Magic. Still, it takes all sorts.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
178 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2012-01-05 19:44, tomsk192 wrote:
Dear me. Let's hope somebody takes this on board.

I've enjoyed visiting all those mentioned above, except Bournemouth, which sounds good.

I've noticed several rather good books in Davenports; the same goes for International Magic. Still, it takes all sorts.

Davenports do have some good books as do most magic dealers, and yes they have some very good exclusives, but the shop looks tired and the props on display look dated with little variation. The staff are always helpful and it is a great meeting place, a coffee machine would be good ha ha !

I have not been to the shop in Bournemouth, from the pictures I have seen it looks full of all the latest magic !

Ben
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
909 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Why is this in Latest & Greatest? Smile
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1990 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 08:13, rasp wrote:
Forget Davenports, I have visited the shop on numerous occasions over the years. Sadly the last few times have been very disappointing.....Roger is spot on with his comments.

However a shop that is well worth a visit is Mike Danatas, in Bournemouth. Very small shop, but packed to the rafters with stock. Mike has the patience of a saint, and a very honest guy........sometimes too honest for his own good, if he doesn't think an effect is right for you or he doesn't like the workings himself, then he will tell you not to waste your money, (how many shop owners do you know that would do that).

Well, I live in the US, but for for what it's worth, I completely agree with rasp...my experience dealing with Mike was probably the best customer service I've ever encountered from a magic store. Mike is super nice and a great guy. Don't know where Bournemouth is, but I'd shop at Mikes store if I lived there.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
I have to say I love Davenports, I've been going there since I was a kid and try to visit whenever I'm in the area. I also love the fact it's old, dark and mysterious - it feels like a magic shop should. As for the customer service, there seems to be a history of some very helpful people working there and the occasional 4rse. When I was little there was always an old guy there who had the patience of a saint and would show me every magic trick I asked him to perform and increased my love of magic even more. One time however, there was another old but slightly younger man who shouted at me because he couldn't do any of the tricks I asked him to perform (I was less than 10 at the time). Despite this, he will never take away the memories I have of the mysterious shop and the kind old man who loved magic and performing to customers, while my nan patiently sat on the chair in the corner waiting for me to spend my savings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Davenport's Magic Shop website gone (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL