The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Can gaffs spoil an effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Warren, An interesting thread. It was worth the topic just to see Mr. Neighbors' viewpoint. I'm not sure if you've seen Roth's, Latta's or Gallo's handlings (see the NYCMS DVD series), but they do the types of effects you are describing with sleights only, no gaffs. And sometimes they use gaffs. There do seem to remain die-hard no gaff Coin Men. I believe Harbottle takes that approach; or, at least, has done so in the past. It would be great to hear from those guys. Remember, there have been countless routines done with sleights only and the spectator swore gaffs HAD to be used!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi guys! Smile

I have also adopted a no-gimmick approach to most coin magic. I ring in the gaff if the person has a bit of knowledge already, and busts me in basic sleights. It happens. The gaff always gives me the best option as an "out", and most of the time it works! Smile

David Neighbors is The MAN when it comes to gaffed coins and coin boxes! You're right, Dave, just an exp [ can kick it up majorly!

Doug
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Thanks Doug! Smile ^Yea It takes a long time To get Comfortable with haveing a Gaff out on the table!

SOOOOOO---- Start out with Slight of hand stuff.

And when you fell Good with that! Then You can start doing A coin routine where you Start clean, Then you ring in the gaff. And at the End the gaff is all ready gone!Or you ring it out!

And after you fell good with that, ( And I am not talking about A day or two some times it could be a year or years!!! Smile Or sometimes not at ALL! Smile You can try to do a walk on water Routine!!! But even then you have to know WHO!!! To do it For! Smile

And now A Small story! Smile The Frist Time I ever met David Stone ( At the F.F.F.F. Magic Con.! ) I did 30 min's or so for him! On the hotal Floor! Smile ( for me that's short!!!):) After I was done, He Said 2 things! No.1." Hi I am David Stone! I do rope magic!!! ( Funny Guy Smile ) And no. 2 ( And this was the good one, That told me what I needed to know!!!) " I am not good enough to use gaffs yet!!!" So if he was not ready! You know it's not something You just lurn over Night! And I am talking about the right way to handle A Gaff! Anyone can Handle a gaff badly Smile !!! Ok so that's my 2 cent's Thanks Gang!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Here's an example where people (even with brains!) swear that gaffed coins are used when they are not. Following are comments on YouTube for Tim Feher's Chink a Chink video, which has a current thread on this forum now:

Quote:
that isn't David Roth's version, it's more like Dean Dill's version No Extras only styled more like Roth's version
KingOfNynex2003 1 year ago

@KingOfNynex2003: No trust me it's Roth's version. I just show my hands empty before I start and in the middle.
Thanks for watching and commenting.

Tim
tfeher11 1 year ago

@tfeher11 ok, but in Roth's version he doesn't use gaffs, I know because I learned it from his DVD Set.
KingOfNynex2003 1 year ago

@KingOfNynex2003 ethier did I. No gaffs ! I did it just like Roth teaches except with showing my hands empty before and during the routine.
tfeher11 1 year ago

Gotta love it! This guy tells Tim that it CAN'T be David Roth's version because Roth doesn’t use gaffs! And he knows this because he has the DVD! Hopefully everyone here knows that Tim doesn’t use gaffs.

(Stop running! There's nobody back there!)

Jim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 09:48, warren wrote:
Johnathon just because I used the term screams gimmick doesn't mean I don't admire the performer, Perhaps I give audiences the credit of having a brain. If that offends you then I'm sorry.

Your non-sequitors are telling.

What about your perceptions "screams" gimmick? Is this just the "too perfect"=most obvious problem? IE an awkward handling that leads the audience to suspect the move obvious solution to the puzzle and when they start to ask about the props the performer gets all protective of "their precious" ?? Smile

What could you do in similar circumstances that would not scream gimmick, or give you less of that perception when you watch the trick in the mirror?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
How many people in an audience are aware that there are such things as gaffed coins? How can you consider preventing them of realizing that you are using one?
I'm doing a Spellbound effect starting with a copper and concealing a shelled silver. After the copper has changed to silver (Sol Stone Tumble Change) and back to Silver (Derek Dingle), the misdirection is brought to the use of several coins and the silver is dropped from the shell and both the shell and the silver coin are placed on the palm (copper finger palmed in the other hand.) The silver coin is given for examination as, taking the shell in the right hand (Change Over Palm), it is explained that several (silver) coins does not explain the change in matter -canceling out. Then performing a regular Spellbound the silver (shell) is changed for the copper, which is immediately dropped on the silver coin in the spectator's hand (gaining the beautiful clink and focusing attention on the coins in the spectator's hand -away from the shell in finger palm.) So it is very much possible to use a gaff and give the coins to the spectators, especially if we are using old silver coins, which most spectators have never seen.

The concept of using a gaff as an intermediary tool after showing one or several coins and before giving them to hold to a spectator is not new. Tommy Wonder was already using the principle (gaff temporary use in a routine) in his Counterfeit Coins where the C/S was only used after having entrusted the coins to two audience members and before handing them out again after each had changed (and having disposed of the C/S).

Thus I agree with David Neighbors and Jonathan that this guilt feeling is really the result of a (too) basic use of a gaffed coin. Even then, if you were using Xavier Belmont's Ambivalence, you could technically make the two coins become one, immediately give it to a spectator showing both your hands not to contain anything else: neither the look nor the weight nor the sound would betray the gaffing of the coin... but the magic would be pretty weak. People would deduct that you had been sleeving the "other" coin or something, just because there is no story and the effect is too basic.

This confirms what has been written times and again on the café, it's not the gaff that makes the trick, it's the magician.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Or As the old Masters used to say! " It's not what you do it's HOW you do it! Smile"
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Lawrence, the example of your routine is extremely helpful. Thank you!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Oh, I don't know...I never feel guilty about using a simple gaff, simply. Smile

I like the simplicity of a C/S coin, only gaff I ever use as to effects. I use it in a few of my works very simply put but quite effective, hidden and or manipulated right out front. It's easy to sneak in & out of an effect and truly one of the best simple gaffs around, and always at an affordable price for all, a lot of deception for little cost. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
C'mon, MB - don’t leave out the simple shell! That and the C/S are the only two I ever use in effects, though I have other gaffs and admire and play with them, I don’t use them normally.

Except for Bob Swadling's Double Deception. Smile

Jim
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea You should never feel Guity Useing a gaff! But too many do! And A lot feel Guity Useing a slight to!!! If you do you will just have to get over that! And some times it just take time!!! Smile That's why I tell then to start slow! You have to lurn that Just as much as you have to lurh how to do slights and gaffs!!!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I couldn't agree with David more. At the barest minimum if you are going to use gaffs you need to be able to do a good switch. Sure there are some gaff coins that leave you clean but a lot don't and in such a case if you can borrow the coin, cleanly switch in the gaff and then after the routine cleanly switch it out and hand back the coin you are golden.

If you take a coin out of your pocket and do something completely impossible the spectator has no choice but to rely on occams razor which says it must be a trick coin. Does that mean we shouldn't do the impossible? Of course it doesn't it simply means we have to be aware of occams razor and remove the simplest answer from the equation either by performing the impossible with coins the spectators know to be genuine before using a gaffed coin or at the very least foster a belief in the spectator that the coins are genuine before the effect is performed. The second option is far easier if you have a grasp of psychology and a good grounding in the fundamental sleights.

Other things to be aware of is if you do do the impossible with borrowed coins be very careful how you introduce the gaff so not to arouse suspicion as to why you suddenly didn't want to borrow one. A ploy I sometimes use is to pull a handful of coins out of my pocket and ask to borrow a 10p coin then as they rummage around in there pocket I say oh don't worry, I've found one here. The willingness to borrow one disarms the spectator and I've heard people afterwards describing the effect stating that I borrowed the coin (haha I once did a himber drop vanish with 4 coins, when I returned to the venue I was asked if I could do the trick again where I throw a handful of coins up in the air and they vanish when they hit the ceiling, I replied I do tricks like that only once so that those that were there we're witness to something truly unique).

With copsilbrass I borrow a 10p and a 2p and then ask if anyone has a Chinese coin I can borrow. This gets a laugh, then I say that's ok I'll use mine. I then say "have you seen one of these before? I then pass it round and let them have a good look at it while I tell them about it. While they are busy looking at the ungaffed Chinese coin I have all the time to switch in the gaffs. The routine ends clean and I hand the 2 English coins back while at the same time using this offbeat moment to go to the pocket with my other hand for an old brass washer. I then ask who lent me the Chinese coin, this usually just gets a laugh but quit often some bright spark puts there hand up and I switch in the brass washer and drop it in their hand which gets a bigger laugh.

At the risk of making an already long post stupidly long. David talked about guilt. In the last day or so I made a post in the workers forum about magicians guilt. If you already read it stop reading here. I wanted to just link the post but I didn't know how to link a single post so I'll quote the post here. It talks about card sleights but it applies equally to gaffs.
Quote:
On 2012-01-06 13:19, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Technique is only a part of it and attitude is only a part. Probably the biggest stumbling block for the beginner performing any move (and even some experienced guys is Magicians Guilt. It is the guilt and the resultant fear of being caught that causes you to tense up when performing the move. Even if the spectator doesn't see what you did he knows you did something and often "you did a move" is enough for a kill the effect for the spectator.

Overcome magicians guilt and your technique becomes far less important (this is not a reason to not strive for perfect technique). One of my favourite false cuts is simply undercutting the bottom half to the table, tapping the top half square with the heel of my hand and dropping it on top of the bottom half. Bold, bare faced and blatantly obvious, but for the complete lack of guilt and the casual and relaxed handling. In over 30 years I've never been called on it. The slightest guilt during the move and I'd be caught in an instant. This could be called attitude but it is more than that, it is the absence of guilt.

So how do you overcome magicians guilt? The first step is honing your technique to the point where it is second nature. This reduces the fear of getting caught but does not remove the guilt. That part is more of a challenge and different things work for different people. One option is to not only get the move to look like a normal turnover, get it to FEEL like a normal turnover, believe in the effect and don't think of the method (again this only comes with enough practice to make the method second nature). Once you are living in the effect rather than the method your hands may be turning over 2 cards but your mind is only turning over the top card and you are completely free of guilt.

Another thing that can help to remove the guilt is understanding and accepting that a move/sleight is not a cheat or a con it is a gift. You do not perform the sleight to outwit or demean your spectator but to give them the gift of a magical moment. Every sleight you perform is done with the motivation to bring joy and happiness to your audience, why would you feel guilty?

If you are free of guilt you will earn the trust of your audience. As long as you feel that guilt it will be telegraphed and an audience finds it hard to trust a guilty person.

On to the subject of should the move look exactly like the non move? I guess that depends on whether you want to be remembered as skillfull or magical. For me they should be the same in both look and feel, almost to the point where even you don't know if you did the move or not Smile. Many moons ago when I was active on the magic scene I was constantly being asked at conventions to do a retention vanish, Michael Ammar commented that it was the best he'd ever seen (and I suspect that even back then he'd seen a few). Sure I practiced the retention vanish a lot, but I practiced not vanishing the coin more. My routine was to really place the coin into my hand 100 times, then do one vanish, then really place the coin in my hand 100 more times, then one more vanish. Rinse and repeat until even I was fooled by the vanish.

For me if it looks like you did something different it's skill not magic. Magic should look effortless, as if you did nothing. It's ironic that we work long and hard so that we can look like we didn't work at all. Every invisible hour you spent working on the move, all the effort you put in to make the effect look effortless is your gift to your spectators. Never feel guilty ... because you have nothing to feel guilty for.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Thanks Mark,
So it all comes down to " If it where realy Magic how would it Look!!!" And then try to get as close as possable!By anyway possable!!!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
That's about the size of it. The important thing to be aware of is peoples inherent need to understand the world they live in. When something does not make sense the brain automatically searches for an answer. When there is only one possible answer you need to take that answer away from the person BEFORE you complete the effect, after works well for a sucker effect but before is far more powerful.

That's what makes effects like Twilight Angels so powerful, the only possible explanation is a trick card but the spectator believes they SAW the Angels move and yet they are permanently printed on the card they signed and the print can't possibly move, there's no explanation left other than magic.

Funny enough magicians are often easier to fool than lay people because of their better understanding of what can and can't be done. Perform something like John Cornelius vanishing nickel for a spectator wearing just a work shirt but no jacket and they will think it's up your sleeve. A magician knows you can't sleeve in just a normal work shirt so they are floored, well not so much today because the method is more well known but when John originally performed it for me around 30 years ago I was with a layman. I was floored while the layman wasn't that impressed and just commented its up his sleeve. It was my 14 years of studying coin magic and sleeving in particular that left my brain with nowhere to go.

We often make the assumption that our superior knowledge gives us an advantage over laymen, that's not always the case. If we see a trick and our first thought is gaffed coin, it's quite possible that the laymans first thought will be trick coin too, the difference is we know how coins are gaffed spectators don't so if it's the only possible explanation they'll take it even if there are no gaffed coins that could create that effect. I dread the day that spectators will be able to explain every effect with a simple shrug ... Holograms lol

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Yea I was Doing some coin stuff for a young Kid to day! ( like12-13) I was killing him at frist. Then He thinks He sees something (He did not see it there was nouthing to see! ) But as long as he thanks He sees it then that's How it all DONE!!! And I don't care what you Do after that! That's How it's ALL DONE!!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Mipple
View Profile
New user
London, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mipple
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 23:44, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

At the risk of making an already long post stupidly long. David talked about guilt. In the last day or so I made a post in the workers forum about magicians guilt. If you already read it stop reading here. I wanted to just link the post but I didn't know how to link a single post so I'll quote the post here. It talks about card sleights but it applies equally to gaffs.

Really interesting thoughts, Mark - confirmation of some stuff I'd seen before from others (though always good to have important points hammered in again and again) but also several new points that I found really useful. I somehow missed it in the workers forum so thanks for reposting it here.

Mark
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Welcome, Mipple!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Sometimes Useing some Acting mite help! An actor knows what he is doing is not true. ( so there mite be some guilt) But you don't see an actor looking Guilt about it! Smile So maybe this old saying Could be used!
" An Magicion is an Actor, Playing the parting the part of the Magicion! " And a real Magicion would not be Guility Becase he would have REAL Magic powers! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Please explain "occams razor." Thanks!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 03:03, Atom3339 wrote:
Please explain "occams razor." Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

magicians can bias this conclusion by "closing the door" on alternatives or using techiques like "Preemptive Doubt" in which the "dirty hand" is shown empty before the vanish is revealed.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Can gaffs spoil an effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL