The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Smoothness or Speed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether your opinions when performing something like a switch/pass/any other sleight: Is it more of an attribute to have the move totally down so it so quick that the audience will never work out what you just did, or is it more important to take your time and get the action smooth?
I suppose some might say get it smooth and the speed will come.

Cheers

PT
Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Some will say (which is not my standpoint) that you don't have to do the sleights either smoothly or fast. Just misdirect.

Last week, I watched a fellow from our club doing a spread pass ... he really turned his back on the audience (seated at the table) and did the move. Horrible! Buy yourself a svengali deck if you can't control a card without turning 180°. Got me really angry.

Best, Chris
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I think smoothness is more important. Imagine how much stronger an effect is when it is done slowly. Rene Lavand's performance on one of the magic specials, where he emphasizes how slow he's performing the effect, is one such example.

I've seen magicians who move very fast (and often talk fast as well) who think they're "fooling" the audience. I've also heard audience members marvel at how fast the performer is. They don't know what he did exactly, but they know that his hands waving quickly back and forth was covering it up.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Hey PT,
Unless the move is something that relies on inertia, then I don't think the speed of the move should step outside the flow of the routine. If the routine is a slow intimate routine, any fast move will draw enormous attention. Equally, during a fast paced performace, slowing down to do something "smoothly" would also look out of place.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I agree with greenshock, take it at the flow of the effect... longer tricks should be taken slowly but a nice quick effect never hurt anyone!

Smile
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I think that Greenshock pretty much has got the best idea, I shall take heed of that when I next perform.

PT
Smile Smile Smile
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Both are of equal importance to me. I find it hard to be smooth unless I first take some speed.
The Rev Dr. Bob
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I would go with the above, the moves should all be of an equal speed and nothing should look different.

The old saying "The quickness of the hand deceives the eye." is wrong.

It would be more correct to say, "The Quickness of the hand ATTRACTS the eye."

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
But don't forget the quickness of the hand DOES deceive the eye, which is why you see so many people walking about with black eyes..

I think it depends on the move. Some passes rely on speed even though well covered, but I think moves like that are in the minority.
Timing for moves is generally not about speed but naturalness.

I tend to give a slow, relaxed everything above board approach as against the more snappy, flash approach that seems to be getting popular. But then, I tended to rush through tricks as a teenager too. Smile

Paul Hallas.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I look at it like a shave. Would you rather have fast or smooth?

Interesting how so many people think smooth means slow. 'Tis not always the case.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
A fast shave Tom, but I look like Sweeney Todd did the job after, lol.

I refered to my own slow style, but am certainly not confusing slowness with smoothness.

Everything should look clean, cleanliness is next to Godliness Smile

Paul.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Smooth, every time! Unless I'm second dealing or doing the pass! Besides, too fast and the audience can't cop what you're meant to be doing, presentation-wise!
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
If you perform something too slow and one of the audience is watching your hands is it possible they may actually work out how you are manipulating the cards?

Smile

Cheers

PT

Smile
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
It needs to be fast and smooth enough not to be seen. Unless you want the slight of hand to be seen that is...

If you use misdirection they might not see the move, but otherwise, yes, they might see the manipulation. Smile

If you have a move tht has been practised to perfection then it shouldn't even be visible to a magician (or is that setting my sights to high!?). Good luck, you'll find the right speed for yourself!

Smile
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I follow John Carney's and Tommy Wonder's advice that a secret move should always be performed "in the shade of something more interesting". A move should be psychological invisible, it needn't be literal invisible.

Also Roger Klause's theory of "half-moves" comes to mind. If a sleight arouses suspicion because it is to involved, try cutting it in sub-sleights.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
If you perform something too slow and one of the audience is watching your hands is it possible they may actually work out how you are manipulating the cards?

Doesn't have to be...see Rene Levand.
Mark Alan
View Profile
New user
St. Augustine Fl.
64 Posts

Profile of Mark Alan
I don't think smooth means slow.I think smooth means undetectable,I'll take smooooth any time

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Smoothness or Speed? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL