The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Punch him in the face (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 21:30, tomsk192 wrote:
PS Can anyone explain when using a metaphor and urinating on dead bodies achieved moral equivalence? I'd love to know, really.

Forget it, tomsk, it's Chinatown.

Or the Internet.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Andrew:

Please don't wait for an apology, life is too short. I am sorry that my comments sounded like preaching from above, I guess my feelings have affected my ability to be understood.

First, I said nothing about dementia- those were your words. Grandma sends us mail from time to time, and is obviously quite rational and sane. She is also rich, and has always wanted to travel. Frankly, I envy her.

My comments stem from my belief that what we say in the present becomes what we do in the future. My belief comes from my experiences and observations.. I don't expect anyone to agree with me and I did not start this thread. The real sadness for me is that you feel someone should be shamed for speaking their mind.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Part of that post makes it appear you got Andrew's joke...and the rest of the post makes it appear it went over your head....
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 11:27, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
First, I said nothing about dementia- those were your words.

But you didn't NOT say anything about dementia either. How insensitive!

Quote:
The real sadness for me is that you feel someone should be shamed for speaking their mind.

Oh please. After all the shaming that Acer's been the target of for making a joke?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I suspect the point has very little to do with shaming you, and very much to do with illustrating how many jokes could potentially be construed as offensive. Would most people find your signature offensive? Certainly not. But I could see how one who is particularly sensitive to a situation like that might. And unless you really think that nobody could, by leaving it in your signature line, you sort of illustrate the general opinion of most on the thread - if you as the joke-teller find it funny, then you'll tell it, and anyone who might be hypersensitive (I use that term descriptively, not pejoratively) to it will just have to deal with it.

With regard to your last paragraph, are you saying that the writer (or any of his readers) is more likely to assault a disabled person now than before that joke saw the light of day? If so, I disagree.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
French drop-

I did enjoy the humor of the first part of Andrew's post. Then it seemed to turn a bit vitriolic, to me. Perhaps I am getting thin-skinned.

Lobo-

Enjoyed your post. My last para was not meant as specific as it may have sounded. I was trying to relate my experiences with those who look rough, or talk rough, or act rough. I believe people do things they would never ordinarily do because of spoken, or written, or visual influence. I believe a group of non-viiolent people can, as a group, be violent. I believe if we speak kinder, we will be kinder.

To me, the sentence under discussion was a cheap laugh. How long could it possibly have taken to come up with something kinder?

Finally, I rather feel I need to take my comeuppance from Andrew, and will remove my sig!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 12:41, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Finally, I rather feel I need to take my comeuppance from Andrew, and will remove my sig!

Argh... I was advocating the opposite. Keep the sig, and in turn lighten up about what other people joke about.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Punch him in the face (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL