The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fundamentals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

restlessplots
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of restlessplots
I have just finished reading Bob's Fundamentals series and think, it is a must have series for those wishes to have a good solid understanding on performing mentalism. I have read the seemly no end of complaints about Bob's less than perfect business practices, but that not withstanding, I have never heard a complaint about the quality of his material. If you are just starting out or fairly advanced, I think there is much to gain from reading Bob's fundamentals (a long with many of his other works).

If you were thinking about it, think no more, worth the effort to get the whole series and read it, understand it and apply it!

REST

I have been getting some PM as to what is contained in the last part of Bob's series, so here is the breakdown of a PM I sent:

As noted some are better than others, for billets, The Moldavian Switch is as good and a might bit better than the ulimate billet switch from ted's site

The Fundamentals series contains, what Bob feels are the fundamental's for being a mentalist, performing mentalism, it actually in my opinion is a champion book to his Principia Mentalia : Fire, Earth, Air, Water.

In 1:

Introduction
overview
the psychology of Mentalism
a. plausibility
b. The path to mastery
A note on rehearsal-
a. fundamental structures
b. The shuttled newspaper tests
c. Get the lead out
d. Three canister and a bill
Bonus Effect--Test Conditions

in 2:

Introduction
As Essential Secert
Presentational Principles in the performance of Mentalism.(All illistrated in the context of A startling thought reading Effect)
An interesting Fact
A startling Thought reading effect

3:

Introduction
Fundamental Problems
a. The most misunderstod statement in mentalism
b. The opening Effect comes seond

Important Fundamental principles
a. The Bulldog deck
b. The scary movie rountine-an illustration of the complimentary use of mechanical and c.psychological principles
d. Fundamental psychological ploy
e. a thought to ponder

in 4:

Persona and subscrit-the keys to believability
The thrity nine steps
A mentalists library of Essential works
What's on the list, what's not and why not
The thrity nien steps to mentalism.

The last book is a reharsh of the other four with a few new items throw in!

5 list the following:

Preface
introduction
how it all began
overview
the psychology of mentalism
plausibility
The path to mastery
A note on rehearsal
fundamental Structures
fundamental problems
the most misunderstood satement in mentalism
the oppeing effect comes second
some fundamental principles
the bulldog deck and the scary movie routine
a fundamental psychological ploy
a thought to ponder
The shuttled newspaper test
get the lead out
Three canisters and a bill
An essential secret
handling
quiz
An introduction to the interaction of physical, psychologicl and presentational principles in the performance of Mentalism
A Startling thought reading effect
an interesting fact
a startling thought reading effect
Commercially available effects and gimmicks
Persona and subscript-the keys to believability
The subscript
Riding the web
The orginal subscript for my psychic persona
The thirty nine steps
Some thoughts on performing.

As you can see this one has a lot of repreated stuff,
but the added material is good. He says, this is the finished producted, but it looks as if, he made it for a stand alone sale, for those that do not have the other 4 vols.

I have my share of Bob's stuff, I think this series is goood and was needed in the mentalism field, I hope that helps someone decided.

REST

Rest
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
There is no last book, per se, inasmuch as one would think of it being a fifth book. Bob re-released all four as one book, with a bit of editing and revision, and a couple of added notes. In the preface, he explains why, although he originally expected to expand the promised four volumes to six, in the end he only had enough material for the four he originally planned.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I've read a couple of Bob Cassidy's books but this one sounds interesting and pretty important, I'll have to take a look at it.

Anabelle Smile
steveroth
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of steveroth
It's very, very good. Best for those who will actually perform! It's also a good read. Bob has a great sense of humor.

Regards,

Steve Roth
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Is this book only available via Bob's website or do some dealers also carry it? Also, what is the price of the book?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Alexei Kee
View Profile
New user
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain)
22 Posts

Profile of Alexei Kee
And if it's available via Bob's website... which one is the link to the Bob's products website? I was looking for it in his website (www.mastermindreader.com) but I haven't found anything but his biography, booking ways, etc....

Smile

AK Smile
People waste 50% of their mind power. I'm a genius, I waste 100%.

jotamagic@damainquieta.com
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1091 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Try:

http://www.mastermindreader.com/cd/

I couldn't find a link on his website, either.

Brian
Alexei Kee
View Profile
New user
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain)
22 Posts

Profile of Alexei Kee
Yes, it works.

Thank you very much.

AK Smile
People waste 50% of their mind power. I'm a genius, I waste 100%.

jotamagic@damainquieta.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I'm a little confused after reading these posts. Is Bob Cassidy's new Fundamentals manuscript what everyone is discussing in this thread and does it include all four of the prior works mentioned and the additional materials that ostensibly make this a compilation of the 4 prior and the 5th new? If not, what is the name of the Cassidy work that is being described by all of you inthe above posts. I'm confused because nowhere in Bob's ad does he specifically mention the contents of the Fundamentals manuscript nor does he indicate that this is an update compilation. He does mention something about "those who originally ordered" having their copy available by September 9th--or something like that.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
It includes the 4 books, with some supplemental information. That added material is not likely to have been enough to make a 5th in and of itself, and certainly not a 5th and 6th. Some of that info, his "39 Steps", also appears on his website in a slightly different version.

I thought it was pretty clear from the ad that it was a compilation of all four in one, with whatever final material he was including beyond that.

My point was to clarify that, for reasons explained in the booklet, there was not the equivalent of two additional books added to it, for those who ordered it originally and got the compilation.

This is NOT a complaint. I got what I was promised, and am incredibly happy with what I got. It is just a clarification for those who expected something different.

So, to say it again, there is now only ONE e-book titled Fundamentals. It is comprised of the edited/revised contents of the earlier four separate e-books of the same title, with some added material, some of which also was published as an article on Bob's site. It is great, and if you are serious about mentalism and don't have it, you should buy it.

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-09-21 21:42, Andy Leviss wrote:
It includes the 4 books, with some supplemental information. That added material is not likely to have been enough to make a 5th in and of itself, and certainly not a 5th and 6th. Some of that info, his "39 Steps", also appears on his website in a slightly different version.

I thought it was pretty clear from the ad that it was a compilation of all four in one, with whatever final material he was including beyond that.

My point was to clarify that, for reasons explained in the booklet, there was not the equivalent of two additional books added to it, for those who ordered it originally and got the compilation.

This is NOT a complaint. I got what I was promised, and am incredibly happy with what I got. It is just a clarification for those who expected something different.

So, to say it again, there is now only ONE e-book titled Fundamentals. It is comprised of the edited/revised contents of the earlier four separate e-books of the same title, with some added material, some of which also was published as an article on Bob's site. It is great, and if you are serious about mentalism and don't have it, you should buy it.

--Andy

Thanks, Andy. I really appreciate the clarification.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I'm still confused...

Let me see if I can get this right.

"Fundementals" is a compilation of the four "Principia Mentalia" books, which were previously published as "air earth fire and water?"
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
<<"Fundementals" is a compilation of the four "Principia Mentalia" books, which were previously published as "air earth fire and water?">>

Zack:

No, "Fundamentals" is a compilation of a 4-part (I won't go into whether is was intended to be 4, or 6 parts) eBook series originally available as a subscription. There is supposedly some new information added to the original release (see above).

I just purchased this eBook a couple of days ago and it Is NOT a rehash of the "Principia Mentalia" books.
It contains new material.

See the above for the contents. Hope this helps to clear things up.

Dave
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
To further clarify, Fundamentals was originally released as a four-part serial, under the title Fundamentals. It has now been re-released, with a bit of supplemental info, as a single complete book. It bears no relation at all to the PM books.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fundamentals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL