The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Mike Maxwell's Self Working Card Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I was wondering if anyone has his dvd's and if the material was good. I was thinking about getting his set of dvd's.
Thanks
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I am curious as well well since my "go to" information for such material has been Steve Beam's SACT series, Duffies' Effortless Card Magic, and the Karl Fulves books.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I did a search here too and I couldn't find anything either. I saw a couple of his effects at library.com. I might get them first to see.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
The effects are pretty good. The guy is a little annoying, but the effects are ok. Stuff you see in the Karl Fulves books for instance.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 10:54, fvdbeek wrote:
The effects are pretty good. The guy is a little annoying, but the effects are ok. Stuff you see in the Karl Fulves books for instance.

I wouldn't say he's that annoying, it's just that the videos, as well as Mike's terrible shiny shirts and other dressing combinations are so old fashioned and cheesy that this fact alone could easily put you off buying them.
You may or may not like his performing style but as you say, there are some good effects on each of the DVDs.
Those who have already read most of the self-working card sources (some of them listed in Vlad's post) will not find too much new stuff but even then it can serve as a nice memory refresher for some of the effects that you once learned but somehow forgot about them.
For those who don't know that many self-working tricks you can't go wrong with these DVDs! And don't let the first impression get you. Videos look really old fashioned and cheesy (probably because they ARE quite old) but the effects are very good!
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
That's right Picard, annoying wasn't he correct word. It is more the dresscode that puts me off.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
609 Posts

Profile of ejohn
I generally agree with Picard, but who cares about his somewhat dated attire? It's the material that counts. The set is an excellent introduction to self-working card magic, with many excellent versions of good self-working tricks. I highly recommend it to new-intermediate people interested in self-working tricks. I'm just an amateur, but I've been into card magic for over 40 years.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of the fritz
The effects are good in this series, although I didn't find Mike Maxwell's performance style very entertaining. The word that comes to mind is 'generic' as there is no real feeling of character at all. The presentations were very vanilla... nothing very creative. If you can get past this ( and the dated wardrobe!) there is plenty of usable material here. I particularly enjoyed Free Cut Fantasy.

Vlad, the material here is of a different quality than Beam's stuff. Admittedly I only have volumes 1 & 4 of SACT but when I think of Beam's series, the material is heavily based on presentation to make the procedure-driven effects work ( and Steve shines in this area... this isn't a criticism). With Maxwell's series, he proves with his dry presentations that the effects can still work without disguising them in jokes. Hopefully that gives you a good idea... at least the way I see it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Mike Maxwell's Self Working Card Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL