The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Illusions with Plans Book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Anyone know of a good book of small illusions with plans, or even just mostly small illusions?

Most of the books I have seen deal mostly with stage illusions, and although they are nice, I don't do stage stuff, so they are not of much help.

So if anybody has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate hearing them.

Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Andrew Mayne's Solo X or illusion book.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
djvirtualreality,

Thanks for the suggestion. If you could give me a short rundown on the stuff it covers, I'd really appreciate it. Although the name Andrew Mayne is familiar, I am not familiar with his work, and I've never heard of the book.

Sorry, I seem to be way out of the mainstream of things.

Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Steve,

Look here: http://www.weirdthings.com/illusion.htm

Amso McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

If you want levitations, get his Touching Sky. That is a nice booklet for the price.
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
That's really cool!

Do you know how its done...can you please tell me??

Hahah just kidding... I am for sure gonna buy that book...thanks for the tip!

Just wanted to know if they are easy to do, because I'm kinda new and would love to sit up in the air the way he does.... Do you know if that can be done on the streets or just stage (airborne)?
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks guys.

Sorry no responses from me yesterday. "Isabel" kept taking out our power, so every time I'd get a post almost done the power would go off and shut me down.

It was almost comical, I'd get off the computer, and the power would stay on, but as soon as I'd get back on, it would go off.

Anyway, I didn't get blown away completely. Smile

Thanks amosmc; went to the website, and it looks good. I'll just have to save my pennies, and check those books out.

djvirtualreality - don't remember seeing the Touching the Sky book. I'll have to go back and look again.

Thanks again,
Steve Smile
zzz

I am still looking for one I saw on ebay a couple of times. I got out bid at the last second. Guess that'll teach me to set a higher proxy bid next time.
The book was:
SCIENCE AND MECHANICS
100 LIFE-OF-THE-PARTY-TRICKS
MAGIC HANKBOOK
Vintage Magic Apparatus Illusion Book w/Plans
This is a classic Apparatus Book put out by Science and Mechanics 1961

From the write up they gave it, it was really good. Guess I'll keep looking.
Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Airborne needs a cover. I don't think you would want to bring around a chair and cover with you so I'll say it should only be done on stage. If you have seen Andrew's Pocket levitator, floating on the edge in touching sky is a impromptu verison of if.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
At present I'm not much into levitation. It sounds interesting, but with limited cash, at present I am sticking with things I am more familiar with. However when things get a little easier, it will definitely be on the "to do list."
Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Ok then, Andrew Mayne's solo X or illusion book. Many more things than levitations.
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
What is a levitation that can be done on the streets from his Touch the Sky book?? Don't tell me the B Leviation... seems like mostly for stage.... I don't know he doesn't even have email to contact him and stuff... plus descriptions kinda lack...If I buy it I may return it ( did you know the LAW requires a 30 Day money back guarentted). Even if businesses don't offer them, by law they are required to accept returns within a time period.... Just to let you all know in case you get conned into a false or misleading advertising for magic effects
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

You do that for all the secrets? You buy secrets - that's how people make a living. And you buy it, and return it? That's harsh, anyway. Floating on the edge and the street levitation (AKA balducci). What is the B levitation you are talking about? I'm guessing the balducci. This booklet is definitely worth the price.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
12345, yes, it is the B levitation, but the booklet is worth it by far for the rest of them.
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
No I don't buy tricks and return them...that's cheap. That's like buying clothes and returning them the next day.... all I am saying is that I wish a more complete description instead of an AD like desription...
Plus he doesn't even have his email for support or questions..... I am not a stage magician, just a magic hobbiest, therefore is Touch the Sky book just for stage???

Yes I have returned a trick or two.... No Strings Attached.... the dealer said no strings or anything....returned it the next day, the ad also said no strings attached, what a misleading ad. If they need to earn a living at least do not mislead people away from their hard earn money.

That's my 2 cents
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Quote:
On 2003-09-20 07:56, djvirtualreality wrote:
Ok then, Andrew Mayne's solo X or illusion book. Many more things than levitations.

These sound interesting djvirtualreality, Thanks, I will definitely look into these 2 books. If you or anyone else wants to review the books,(or any others of this type) I'd sure appreciate it. Not looking to have anything given away, but a short review and your opinion of how well it comes across, ease of instructions, etc...
Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

I don't own solo x or illusion book lol. I'm planning on it though. I'm currently trying to find plans to build a lounge levitation, or something along those lines for a levitation.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Haven't heard of what you are looking for, but if I come across one, I'll pm you.
Thanks again for the suggestions Smile
Steve Smile
zzz

This is going to probably sound strange, but I found some plans in a book I bought Saturday. Although this alone does not sound so strange, the name of the book might surprise you. It's "MY FIRST MAGIC BOOK."

I am buying and trading used books constantly, and this looked like a good trade book, and for 33 cents I knew I couldn't go wrong. I almost didn't even look at it, thinking "Kids book" in a rather snobbish manner judging the book by its cover. Smile I should've known better.

When I looked inside of this little gem, and started seeing what it contained Smile I was amazed. The tricks are set up to be made very simply, with paper, but could easily be crossed over to be made of a more durable material.

A sampling of the tricks w/plans in the book:
Giant glove trick
square circle
20th Century silks

They do not use these names, but these are the names(I believe) that we know these tricks by.

It seems to be a great book for budding magicians, or people who want simple plans.

Anybody know of any other books like this?

I now have to search my library to see what all I have overlooked in my books. Smile

It seems that just when I think I am to smart to miss the simple things, I find another way to prove I'm not.

Would that be pride, or arrogance Smile maybe prarrogance Smile

Godspeed
Steve Smile
zzz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Illusions with Plans Book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL