The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Bill in Lemon Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I do a signed bill to lemon and it's only in the lemon for about 2 minutes so its not so damp but it has a nice dampness to it. Before I presented this effect I played around with it and found out the the bill dries out in about 2 minutes or less. Unless your doing a serial number the bill in really soaked.
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Actually given the technique that I presently use most often when performing the bill to lemon (or lime or orange) the bill is never really in the fruit yet it is slightly "damp" when handed back. As you can guess I am using the method that Dick Sullivan taught me a couple of decades ago. Still, I prefer borrowed and signed bill to borrowed cigarette or to balloon.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 22:12, Jeff77 wrote:
... I like it when the bill is wet from lemon juice because it makes the magic more real!

Good comment! This is a real convincer that the bill was really in the lemon. In some spectators' minds, this could make all the difference in credibility. It is unlikely most people would know how long it would take to soak a bill, but they would know that it was definitely IN the lemon.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Aftereight
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aftereight
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 10:15, wizardpa wrote:
I'm thinking about doing the Bill to Fortune cookie, I'm guessing that has never been done before.

Hi wizardpa - Thom Peterson put his version of fortune cookie in his DVD Sucker Punch, called Fortune 500.
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
The method of loading the lemon I use is from Doc Eason. I take my time before the revel so I know the bill is getting damp. This is one of my most favorite routines and it's a real convincer to people with the visual of the bill on the lemon, the juice on the bill and the smell!
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I am planning a new, revised edition (after 21 years!) of my "Bill In Lemon Book" which should be out later this Spring. If any of you would like to contribute any of your handlings or tips, I'm happy to see them.
You may PM me or e-mail to: charvetmagic@aol.com.
Thanks!
David Charvet
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I agree with Jeff when he said that one of the best parts about using lemons is watching people feel that they are wet (or at least damp), and then when they actually smell the bill. I love both those aspects and the punch that they both deliver is why I still like to use lemons when the situation is suitable. In fact a few nights ago I was doing some work behind the bar instead of walkaround for a change at a regular restaurant of mine. There was a family of three and they all had virgin lemon daiquiris with their dinner. I did the bill in lemon for them and when the little girl (she was about 7 or 8) took the bill out at the end, she sniffed it and exclaimed, "Smell this Mama, it smells just like Pledge!"
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
"Smells like Pledge" - Priceless
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2012-01-13 19:28, David Charvet wrote:
I am planning a new, revised edition (after 21 years!) of my "Bill In Lemon Book" which should be out later this Spring. If any of you would like to contribute any of your handlings or tips, I'm happy to see them.
You may PM me or e-mail to: charvetmagic@aol.com.
Thanks!
David Charvet

I have your book in paperback, I love it but I hope your new edition comes out in hardcover.

On the Bill in Lemon, wring out some of the juice from the lemon before you get into the trick and the bill will still come out wet as opposed to soaked.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I love the pledge line, and I never thought to squeeze the lemon first. It's a good night when I can have a laugh, and learn a lesson at the magic Café.

I do torn corner to lemon, but it is all applicable.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I've switched to the bill ending up in a sealed bag of potato chips...I'm getting an even better reaction than in the fruit
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Mac - The original edition (500 copies) of the Lemon Book was hardbound. Second edition was softbound.
The new edition will be hardbound.
Thanks for asking.
David
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
In my steampunk routine, the Teleportation-Device, I finish the Bill to Lemon with Bill to Egg. The bill is torn, burnt around the edges, signed and covered with lemon juice and egg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usedWvB5ibc

Without animals in the act, the things that work best to make things look big are: Having spectator's on stage, using fire, using liquid, using long rope, big scarves and other items that move in a wiggly way and draw the eye.

I don't use animals, so I work hard to fill the stage with these sorts of things.

I think the complete destruction and and desecration of the bill is important to the impact and enjoyment of the routine.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 20:05, Pop Haydn wrote:

I think the complete destruction and and desecration of the bill is important to the impact and enjoyment of the routine.

Interesting perspective on this. The meat of any borrowed object routine is the perceived destruction of it. That's why the use of borrowed rings, watches, hats, etc. became so popular long ago. In almost every case, there was comedy derived from some apparent demise of the item. Eggs were broken in hats, and watches were smashed to bits. Compared to the actual magic that happens later, this is definitely the primary point of interest.

Of course in most routines, the apparent destruction is resolved. Personal and irreplaceable items would have to be. But in the case of a bill, this is different. Yes, it is property, but not in the same way. It is easily replaceable, even if returned to the owner dripping with lemon juice, or sealed in an entire roll of Scotch tape. The process is worth the inconvenience. To assume that the magic of where the bill ends up is the main point is making a mistake, I think. If the lemon juice becomes an inconvenience, then the main point has been lost.

I like your thinking, Whit.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks, Michael. I think it is important to square the spectator by asking for a bill that can be "dedicated to science"--setting up that this is for a sacrifice to the gods of science, and he would not be getting it back unharmed. I think the egg is funnier and stronger because it is messier. But it is also the fact that an egg can not have been prior prepared, which is the solution to the lemon. The two methods cancel each other out. The "choice" element is also increased, so that the spectator has a dozen free choices instead of fifty-fifty as in the lemon--one couldn't easily have a dozen eggs prepared with dollars that match the corner and serial number. The final bill arrives with evidence that it has been through all the required trials--burnt, signed, torn, and covered with both lemon juice and egg, and the missing corner matches that of the borrowed bill. I think the canceling of methods and the knotched up conditions (the wet bill is put directly into the device, with no napkin cover, and visibly burns into nothing) create sufficient motivation for the repetition, but it is the anticipation of a big mess with eggs involved that gives it most of its entertainment value.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
407 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I use an orange in a pirate themed routine. It ties in to warm weather climate. After producing the dollar, I throw it up in the air, catch it in my mouth, to produce a money mouth coil.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 15:27, Jeff77 wrote:
The method of loading the lemon I use is from Doc Eason. I take my time before the revel so I know the bill is getting damp. This is one of my most favorite routines and it's a real convincer to people with the visual of the bill on the lemon, the juice on the bill and the smell!

I agree with Jeff-I also use the Doc Eason Method-Have done
in Hundreds of corporate shows & functions-

I find the Bill which is Plastic here is semi wet but I hand a tissue after the signature reveal
and has never been a problem-the effect is a show stopper to lay audiences....
CSMTREE
View Profile
Veteran user
El Paso, Texas
318 Posts

Profile of CSMTREE
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 01:28, wmhegbli wrote:
I was considering changing the way the bill is handled early in the routine. What are your opinions if the bill is folded in eighths, then placed under a handkerchief, and handed to the assisting spectator. Then snapped from his fingers to show that the bill has vanished.

When the lemon is cut open to reveal the bill sticking up from the center of the Lemon, only it is in a rolled-up state.

Secondly, would it be okay to have the bill wrapped in Saran Wrap when revealed in the Lemon, so the bill is not soaked with lemon juice, if the bill was not wrapped in Saran Wrap when it was placed in the handkerchief.

Example: Mike Ammar performs his Bill in Peanut, vanishing a bill folded in eighths in a handkerchief, but when he reveals the bill in a Peanut it is folded to fit in a peanut shell.

Interested in your thoughts on this small discrepancy.

I fold my bill in eighths when loading in the lemon (ala: Mark Wilson). I also use the hanky vanish, great routine! I hope I helped you a little anyway Smile
"Freedom is the best Magic of all"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I seem to remember that the bill in lemon was originally performed so that the bill would be kept as a tip, since the lender didn't want a soggy bill. I'd rather make the bill go to a small liquor bottle, a balloon or inside of a dinner roll.
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
Wow, This is a really good post/question. I think its great that we analyze such things and are aware of such descrepancies. I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said and have had just about the same expereience with people smelling it and not commenting on the discrepancy. The only thing I could add, is I think it's polite to offer a clean, whole 20. Not sure if this was already mentioned. I think I read this in carneycopia. Also, I use this routine on the street and usually get the soggy torn 20 as a tip, as long as the loaner is not a child. I always pray for an adult to offer the 20 as oppose to a child.

"And I woulda had your 20, if it weren't for you medding kids"

The bill to lemon questions posed by Giobbi in Secret Agenda (June 25) is amazing food for thought. Definitely check it out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Bill in Lemon Questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL