The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Palming Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Freeman
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
20 Posts

Profile of David Freeman
Hey everyone,

Has anyone made their own palming coins? If so, what material did you use? Any help or suggestions would be great! I would like 12-15 for use in my Miser's Dream routine and for other coin manipulations.

Thanks!

David
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
This is enigmatic. If you wanted hundreds, you would be best served in finding some substitute but even if you used half dollar coins the cost to you is only $7.50 at most.

If the problem is that you don't want to be tempted to spend the coins, go to a coin shop and ask to go through their culls and buy silver coins. The satisfying ring of a silver coin in your pail will amaze you.

Often, you can get silver half dollars for only a few cents over face value. Silver bullion is not high enough for coin shops to melt the culls down at this time.

Best Always,
Ray
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I did a miser's dream a while ago and had a whole bunch (over 100) coins silk screened on heavy silver mylar.. they looked like super shiny coins and yet were soooooo thin.. and because I had them die cut, they had a pretty good "gription" (grip and Friction) that made them a joy to palm! They had some bend and had some spring, were thin enough so that I could more than double the number of coins I could palm, and becaue they were heavy-duty mylar, from most venues they looked like polished metal. As they become more and more used.. they actually looked BETTER!

Best of luck!
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi,
I made some palming coins the other day. I bought some old, thin copper coins (the more worn the better) at the coin shop for 50 cents and sanded the face and edge down by gluing very fine sandpaper to a block of wood and rubbing down both sides of the coin until you could just see the head and tail. They are about the same depth as palming coins but without the milled edge. Anyway try that with some cheap copper coins about an inch in diameter. I might also add that it's usually illegal to deface your own country's coins - so use old, cheap, copper coins from far off places.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Actually it is not illegal to deface currency, it is yours and you can do whatever you like with it.
It is illegal to deface and then try to recirculate currency as then the government has to spend time and money to replace it.
Actually the government loves it when you take currency out of circulation by collecting, losing, or converting it into unspendable gaffed coins as it helps inflation. This is one of the reasons for making the new state quarters as it will take millions and millions out of circulation as everyone is trying to collect a whole set of them. This allows the government to print more money yet have less in active circulation.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Hey MakeupGuy! Wanna sell any coins?

The trouble that you have already gone through to obtain the material and create the screen pattern, and find a screener, would be more than a lot of would put forth, but since you have done it already, you might find a market for them...

I for one, would take some. I don't know how many, because I would have to know a price, but I would think a large number would make a great display! And if they were priced right, I think you could move quite a few of them.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I'd be interested as well. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Me three. Smile
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I have used tin roofing tabs as palming coins. If you want them to nest, you can press them into a pattern or shape so they will lock when they stack. Only thing is they don't make a pretty clink.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Hmmmm.. I got out of the magic biz a few years ago to concentrate on being a makeupartist for film and tv..

maybe I'll track down my old coins.. and printer.. and see if I can get some shops to carry them.

I know the BIG bag of the mylar coins got tossed a few years ago.. but it wasn't hard or expensive to have them made.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
David:

Before I bought some coins at a coin shop, I practiced with several washers that I picked up at the local hardware store. Worked just fine for coin manipulations and tricks.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Mardi Gras tokens are about the size of a silver dollar. they're made of aluminum so they are light. You can buy them cheap on ebay.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Palming Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL