The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown's Mental List (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone familiar with this effect? Please PM me with any info. Want to see if this is legit or not. Read someone liked it over the telephone. Heres the link:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll......ry=14014

Thanks!

Wayne
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
This is not a product put on the market by Derren himself. Merely someone trying to sell "Derren Brown" style mentalism, whatever that may be. Sounds like a voice force to me. Certainly not worth the money. You could buy a book with this, and many other methods inside. Banachek's masterpiece Psychological Subtleties comes to mind.
jiggyjer
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of jiggyjer
Sounds like a scam to me.

J
UJ
View Profile
New user
Finland
71 Posts

Profile of UJ
"Ahead of the Pack" by Jack Avis and Lewis Jones(available through Ian Rowland) has an effect that works exactly as described...

For a review of the book, go to:
http://www.magicweek.co.uk/magic_reviews......pack.htm

UJ

P.S. No force, by the way, and I'd specifically perform this "Derren Brown style"...
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
This effect works like a number of others that are based on a principle by Sam Schwartz. Unfortunately, this particular presentation makes no sense at all. Why these words? Where did they come from? It's so unmotivated that it practically exposes the method.

For far better uses of the principle, see "Book It" in Richard Mark's book, Mind Warp; "Anagramarye" in Waters' Mind, Myth & Magick; and Sign Language by Doug Dyment.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Unfortunately I fell for this thinking it could be something new and bought through e-bay, when I received it I found it to be an almost exact copy of Ted Amburg's Psychic Vision. When I contacted the seller telling him this he told me he was unaware as he apparently got the idea some where else and returned my payment. But he also said he would place a note in the advertising that it had a likeness to Psychic Vision so anyone with an interest would realise.

Franklin - The Paranormalist

I have just come across the e-mail the seller of 'Derren Brown's Mental list'sent me of which I enclose a couple of paragraphs from it:

>As I tried to explain on the phone (which can be difficult for me at times) I wrote the trick down when I was at school because it was cool, its supposed to be based on anything in particular and uses a know psychological system for obtaining the results. I only became aware of the mental yarn version very recently and I haven't read it yet so perhaps I should take a look. ?4 of the money paid for this trick goes on the materials which are laser printed on heavy paper so I don't feel I am ripping anyone off.

>I will be putting a note on the remainder of the items I have left so that it clarifies further what the trick contains and I will also try and purchase the other version to see how similar they are (the last thing I want is copyright problems)

The sellers name is Kenny Roberts trading as Phoenex Seven Magic Company
E-mail: maverick7@tiscali.co.uk
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
Bill Goldman sold this (I think) under the name "Mental Yarn". He never claimed it was original, and did not know who the inventor was. (This was explained in the instructions). Others wiser than me have credited Ned Rutledge. It's still a good effect. I paid $10 for it. I wish some of the money went to the originator.

Regards,
Victor
Sanctum
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Sanctum
This is just a variation of Ned Rutledge's "Who's Minding The Store." It's a commonly ripped off trick. I do a variation created by Pepe Monfort called "Minding The Bar" using a wallet designed by Ray Piatt. I've also created my own variatio I call "Who's Controlling Your Mind" which has a premise built around word play and word association.

Brother Sanctum
What Secrets Does The Sanctum Hold?
What Are People Afraid He Will Reveal?
Enter Into The Dark & Mysterious World Of Brother Sanctum And Discover The Truth
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I ordered it for 2.50 pounds. Haven't received it yet but this thread has been very helpful, thanks to all. I don't own any of the other products here so perhaps it will be useful or I can work it into my effects. I apoligize in advance to any I have offended cause last thing I want is seasoned mentalist upset with me.
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
Brother Sanctum,
Can you tell me where "Who's minding the Store" was originally published? I'd like to get a legit copy of it.
Thanks,
Victor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown's Mental List (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL