The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Foldable tables (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I got a pocket chair a while back. Very handy to have for parades or any other instances. In looking at it I thought of making a giant one. One large enough to be like the old restaurant tray stand table. Only it would fold in half like the pocket chair. This would reduce some bulk not sure about the weight though. Would love to build one myself but is beyond my ability. Perhaps someone else might try at it.
Jeremy Gates
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Hey Max!

Any progress on those new tables?

I have to admit I'm looking for something like what you've discovered. Hauling around a tray jack can be a bit tough some times. I've always fancied the idea of having a table that could be broken down small enough to haul on the back of a motorcycle.

Let me know if you have anything available!
Max T. Oz
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Max T. Oz
Hi pslaughter,
I plan on using my new table on 'Canadas Got Talent' semi-final in about a month from now. For those interested, I'm on the show tonite (yeah I get 3 yeses) but didn't use my table. For those living outside the hinterlands of the Great White North, I'll post a link to my performances after the show.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Please do!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Some magicians like using tripod tables. They nice in some ways and though I personally do not need one currently this occoured to me. Most buskers have their sign resting against there bag or sitting separate from the other props. I figured that was more to carry so my magic show sign is two. One on either side of my restaurant tray stand. This way the sign is self contained and the same may be done with a tripid. Modify a large colapsable easle with the top able to screw into a flange that's on your table top. With a tripod table stand you can attach your magic show sign if you are a busker. Or if you do mentalism with the use of a table you could rest dry erase boards, chalk boards, notpads, ect all to the tripid base without carring a table top, table base, and tripod.
Jeremy Gates
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Hey Max!

Any news on those folding tables? Have you got around to making any? If so send me a PM, I'm interested!

:0)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 14:21, Dave V wrote:
For many, a table is an "anchor" whether they stand behind it or not. It helps to define the performance space and serves as a focal point (stage as it were).

Yeah, that's me.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
Could any of you post photos of the tables that you use? I generally borrow a table, and am thinking about building one (or two). Any recommendations, photos, building plans or designs will be appreciated.
Thanks.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Some comments on the use of a table by those who do stand-up magic. I don't need a table for any of my current street magic show, but I usually take a table [on my trolley for ease of transport] because
1. it's a handy waist-height flat place to rest my props and get them from, rather than having to wear a pouch or bend down to my bag. I have used a 'shelf' under the table top to hold magic props on.
2. The table's presence gives approaching folk the idea that something 'formal' is going on at your location. As my personal teachers says, 'If you are standing with a small group of spectators, people nearby may think you are just having a conversation. The table tells them 'something is happening' here.' So they will be more inclined to stop to take a look.
3. Sometimes I'll get a spectator who is holding food/drink to put it on the table so they have their hands free to help me with my trick.
4. Here's some uses I make of the table: Hang my Magic Show sign from the front top of it. Put my business cards on it to show them off and have them handy. Tie a noise maker [baby's bell rattle] on. Hang my silks from a loop on its side.
Sometimes I have my hat on the table ready to grab when I am hatting.

And since I do balloon twisting along with Magic, I use the table surface to place my Menu Board up on for prospective buyers to see what models I offer. I toss my tied-up bundles of balloon on to its surface, and my scissors and pen.
My table is a waiter's stand [legs with table top placed on them]. Just a few days ago I found I could rest one leg of the table onto my waist-height balloon inflater/pump [The Filbert Pump] to stop the pump from being blown over by the breeze. On breezy days I have my balloon menu sitting on the pavement, tied with ribbon to one or two legs of the table so the sign doesn't get blown over.

I don't have to have a table, but when I do, I make many uses for it.
The presentation makes the magic.
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
Thanks, Magicol, for your message. Do you have any ideas about designs of tables?
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Ageo, I use a wooden tray turned upside down with a soft cover on it, on wooden criss-cross legs. But it is fairly heavy. However I use a suitcase trolley for the gear, along with it carting a suitcase of gear and my big balloon inflator.
I wouldn't advise my set-up if you have to use public transport, as it is too bulky for that.

I haven't heard mention of the following idea for a long time: How about a small tray hanging from the neck, if the tricks need just as small surface?
I often use spectator's hands as a mini-table for a closed deck of cards and the like.
The presentation makes the magic.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
For many years sidewalk hawkers used a Kiester to sell their goods out of.
For those that are unfamiliar with the word, a Kiester is a suitcase that has crisis-cross legs attached to one side of it. Close the top of the case, and you have a working surface. or, work diref
The idea was that if the police were hassling pitchmen, you could just fold up and leave, without losing their merchandise.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
I've been looking for a kiester with accordian legs for long time...have tried ebay, craiglists, numerous google searches...nothing.

So it's on my list of projects. Hope to tackle it this spring.

Attached is picture of what I'm hoping to build...it's screen shot from old twilight zone episode about a pitchman...

Click here to view attached image.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Tom Jorgenson's Medicine Show Manual has plans for building a keister.
Ish70
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Ish70
So, finally about to venture out... Tulsa has no license fee! And I finally got my table done! Thoughts?
Ish70
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Ish70
Here is the table
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
Is it green?
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, R Don wrote:
Is it green?

Smile
Ish70
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Ish70
Let's try this again... This time with an image...

Click here to view attached image.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Rustic, but straight forward. It feels very wild west.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Foldable tables (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL