The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tarot Readers ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I agree with Paul that tricks aren't a good way to go. Few things are as strong as a good reading. There was one recently by TC Tahoe, possibly in the mystic menagerie that could enhance a reading, but its not something I feel is necessary.

As for using just majors there isn't a right or wrong choice. I do readings both ways depending on the situation and the experience I'm aiming to create.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I don't even use a standard tarot deck...

My deck is unique and my clients love it.

Agree with most of what has been posted -- but the true value in your readings is working with YOU. Tarot is not a good business if you just want to make a buck...but if you want to affect change and help people move in a positive direction -- it's for you. If you feel you can do that -- use what ever cards/deck/spread/ etc you wish. Just be kind, cautious, and caring when you read.

Best.

J
xxx
solarzar
View Profile
Regular user
Solarzar
109 Posts

Profile of solarzar
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 15:05, Jay Are wrote:
Agree with most of what has been posted -- but the true value in your readings is working with YOU. Tarot is not a good business if you just want to make a buck...but if you want to affect change and help people move in a positive direction -- it's for you. If you feel you can do that -- use what ever cards/deck/spread/ etc you wish. Just be kind, cautious, and caring when you read.

Here, Here! The reading is the reading, what you use to get there is a tool to help you provide the service. Love what you shared.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Solarzar
The Magic is within us!
www.Magic4Life.com
www.Solarzar.net
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I guess I'm quite traditional, I always use a full deck when doing readings. I don't think I'd ever perform an 'effect' with Tarot. I don't want them associated with anything that may be perceived as a trick.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
[quote]On 2012-01-09 11:59, mota wrote:

The future is easy to tell...it will be the same as the past if you change nothing. The players and locations in your life may change, but your inner emotional experience will be the same. The magick of tarot isn't in telling the future, that part is easy...it is in offering you alternative paths and new ways of thinking you might consider.

Mota, these few sentences have really struck a note with me!

There has been some very helpful replies in this thread! Smile

Thanks,
Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
scathmadre
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of scathmadre
Sheesh Mota, you sounded like Umbrae there for a second (LOL).
If you went for a reading on the continent before the mid-seventies, you'd have gotten a reading with Majors-Only. That was the norm.
Etteilla and Levi were considered esotericists, and largely ignored by readers.
Waite popularized the 78-card approach, and the marketing of Stuart Kaplan (USG) sealed the deal in the 70's.
So either approach is correct. Depending on the context of your character.
IRL, I use both.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Can you guys recommend some good Tarot decks?
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Jeff Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Jeff Christensen
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 17:22, kinesis wrote:
I guess I'm quite traditional, I always use a full deck when doing readings. I don't think I'd ever perform an 'effect' with Tarot. I don't want them associated with anything that may be perceived as a trick.

Isn't cold reading considered a "trick"?
Great Wally
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Great Wally
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 02:07, Jeff Christensen wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 17:22, kinesis wrote:

Isn't cold reading considered a "trick"?

I guess that depends upon your point of view. As a reader, I consider cold reading to be a tool.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 11:48, IAIN wrote:
If you plucked three paperbacks out of a bookshop at random, do you think you could roughly guess at the contents of each judging it by the cover, the title and so on? then what relationship does the first book have to the next? what are the similarities and the differences? what does it mean to you after finishing book A, to move onto book B? and so on...

major arcana are all that's needed in my humble opinion...

Possibly the most concise and efficient lesson in reading Tarot I've ever seen. Brilliant.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
Is there a trick here?

While I agree that a "trick" is not necessary to give a Tarot reading, we are posting on The MAGIC Café. My preference is to combine an actual reading technique with a subtle "effect" that gives the impression that I intuitively know something that would be "impossible" to know otherwise. However (for the purists), I should mention that the "effect" I use does not interfere with the reading in any way, thus allowing it to unfold naturally. If you want the full description, it can be found on "Harlan's Premium Blend #6: Good Spirits" entitled "Tarot Mental." Basically, it's an adaptation of a poker-style mental effect, but the sitter will never know that or feel like it's "magic." Rough outline:
Use the Major Arcana and the four Aces (that's 26 cards).
Sitter mixes all, then removes one card and places it face down to the side. This is a card of "mystery," unknown to all.
The remaining 25 are dealt to five positions on a pentacle (Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Spirit) until each element has five cards.
The sitter chooses the element to which they are currently drawn and looks at the five cards there.
From these, the sitter, chooses one of the cards (to which they are currently drawn) as their Significator. They do not tell you which one.
The sitter mixes their five cards, containing the Significator, and replaces them at their chosen element.
The sitter hands the piles to you in any order and you stack them. [Simply remember WHEN they hand you their chosen pile: 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5]
Re-deal the cards to the five elemental positions.
The sitter tells you which position contains their Significator. [At this point you can begin to read based on the element initially chosen and the element where the Significator ends up]
These cards are dealt out face-up: 1)Past, 2)Present, 3)Concern, 4)Positive Influence, 5)Possible Outcome. [Their Significator is in the position corresponding to the number in your mind!]
You may read the cards' positions, relations, patterns, AND you can reveal which card is the Significator and why it is significant in the position it occupies.
To end, I turn the sitter's attention to the card of "mystery" and explain that we must respect the fact that we can never know everything that the universe has in store for us. I return the mystery card to the deck without looking at it or showing it, and I mix the cards. That's it.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I like using all the cards because I'm as excited about which ones are going to come up, in combinations I've never seen before, as the sitter.

You could argue that 22 cards is plenty of variety, and it is. But for me more is more.

BUT 22 cards are a lot easier to handle, a lot easier to carry, a lot easier for someone to shuffle in certain situations, and they appear less vague and more direct. This has its uses.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 01:09, Godzilla wrote:
If I may ask...
Do your sitters feel they have not been given a true reading,if you only use the Majors?

Going back this original question the answer in my opinion, is no. They do not feel cheated. As the reader, YOU are supposed to be the expert, so if the "expert" reads with 22 cards then this is what it is. I doubt the average sitter would even notice you are only using 22 cards.

They just want answers
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 12:21, DanHarlan wrote:
Quote:
Is there a trick here?

While I agree that a "trick" is not necessary to give a Tarot reading, we are posting on The MAGIC Café. My preference is to combine an actual reading technique with a subtle "effect" that gives the impression that I intuitively know something that would be "impossible" to know otherwise. However (for the purists), I should mention that the "effect" I use does not interfere with the reading in any way, thus allowing it to unfold naturally. If you want the full description, it can be found on "Harlan's Premium Blend #6: Good Spirits" entitled "Tarot Mental." Basically, it's an adaptation of a poker-style mental effect, but the sitter will never know that or feel like it's "magic." Rough outline:
Use the Major Arcana and the four Aces (that's 26 cards).
Sitter mixes all, then removes one card and places it face down to the side. This is a card of "mystery," unknown to all.
The remaining 25 are dealt to five positions on a pentacle (Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Spirit) until each element has five cards.
The sitter chooses the element to which they are currently drawn and looks at the five cards there.
From these, the sitter, chooses one of the cards (to which they are currently drawn) as their Significator. They do not tell you which one.
The sitter mixes their five cards, containing the Significator, and replaces them at their chosen element.
The sitter hands the piles to you in any order and you stack them. [Simply remember WHEN they hand you their chosen pile: 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5]
Re-deal the cards to the five elemental positions.
The sitter tells you which position contains their Significator. [At this point you can begin to read based on the element initially chosen and the element where the Significator ends up]
These cards are dealt out face-up: 1)Past, 2)Present, 3)Concern, 4)Positive Influence, 5)Possible Outcome. [Their Significator is in the position corresponding to the number in your mind!]
You may read the cards' positions, relations, patterns, AND you can reveal which card is the Significator and why it is significant in the position it occupies.
To end, I turn the sitter's attention to the card of "mystery" and explain that we must respect the fact that we can never know everything that the universe has in store for us. I return the mystery card to the deck without looking at it or showing it, and I mix the cards. That's it.
--Dan Harlan

With all due respect Dan ( LOVE RUBBER BAND MAGIC! ) do you read tarot cards?

I'm not sure that the use of tarot needs to be trivialized by making it part of a card trick...they should always be seperate IMHO...

J
xxx
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Dan's answer was part of the direction of my original post! Smile
But,after all the replies and PM's ,I now want to become a reader of Tarot as something I can use alone as well!
I can't list a thank you to all,it would take forever!
I would also like to note all the positive on this thread...And,this is in 'Penny' too! lol
I have had one'Good Sir' take the time to write a study plan,and a learning format! This was a well thought out course!
I am serious about this,several training pages and practices! You know who you are... I thank you!
So with that being said...
You have been a great bunch of Gents!

Gary
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Richard Webster has a number of excellent (and free) essays on this topic that would be very helpful to a beginning reader. They can be found here.

And of course Richard is also a source of what many consider the very best books for neophyte readers.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
With all due respect Dan ( LOVE RUBBER BAND MAGIC! ) do you read tarot cards?
I'm not sure that the use of tarot needs to be trivialized by making it part of a card trick...they should always be seperate IMHO...

Thank you for the respect, I do appreciate it. Yes, I read tarot. That is why I specifically designed my approach to trivialize the "trick" in favor of the reading... and not the other way around. What I have given you is a unique layout that mixes elemental archetypes with classical tarot, guided by the sitter's personal choice and influenced by our random existence. In addition to that, I've given you the ability to do what no other tarot reader can do -- know, without question, EXACTLY what significator your sitter has secretly chosen. The trick is nothing. Really. Nothing.

You could simply ask the sitter what card they chose, and they would tell you. In fact, all I do is say, "Your Significator is here among these 5 cards. You don't have to tell me which one it is, because I sense that you're focussing most of your energy on 'the problem' which is why your significator is here in the position of conflict. Let me tell you what that means..." You see... there is no effect in the traditional "magic" sense, but something happens.

I leave it up to you to imagine what might be happening in your sitter's mind. I don't think they're consciously aware that anything out of the ordinary has transpired. To them, I have strong intuitive powers. Fortunately, for me, I do! I'm quite intuitive, but I wouldn't ALWAYS know which card with precision. My matter-of-fact, nonchalance about "knowing" their card reminds me that I am merely a "reader" and all I know about them is what the cards tell me. In this way, I am able to suppress my ego and read without attachment, but with compassion.

I just didn't put all of that into my first post since somebody just asked if there was a trick. I figured I could demonstrate how to properly integrate the sleazy world of deception into the pure art of tarot. But, perhaps you are right, perhaps they should "always be separate." In my experience, they get along pretty well, but I am very careful master/student. Now, regarding mixing rubberbands and tarot... don't get me started!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Dan:

Thank you for a great set of posts.

Tony
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
I second Tony's Thank you to Dan.

PS Tony, love your signature.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tarot Readers ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL