The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tarot Readers ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
If I may ask...
Do your sitters feel they have not been given a true reading,if you only use the Majors?

Or,do you feel a better reading to the sitter,'MUST' be made with a complete deck?

Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2196 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I'd say there are many kinds of readings for many different situations.

The "truth" of a reading is in the Reader.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Dmoses said it.

I feel that if you can give a good solid reading with only the Trumps then it is not an issue.
If I were to do this (and I sometimes do) I would have an explanation for it, just so that I could explain why if I was asked.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks Guys!
I was curious to the clients that go to readers often,what they look for,or are use to.
I understand it is the reader that makes it,what it is!
I also understand a reader with that something different will get more participants at a Psychic Fair as well! I have seen this!

I was kind of looking at what way may be better, from taking a reading into a effect! (not to offend readers!)
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I tend to use the major arcana instead of the whole deck and I've never had any complaints.
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
There's no right or wrong - do whatever feels right for you.

The full 78 cards may give more depth to the reading, particularly if you're doing an in-depth reading lasting 30 - 60 minutes. I would tend to use just the majors in a walk-around situation where I'm Mr. Punchy & UP-Beat. If I was doing a private sitting I would feel happier that I had the full deck at my disposal.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks, Jon and Paul!
I will be using only the Majors then.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
Tarot is my major source of my business. PM me if you wish an idea or two? And tell me what cards you have.
solarzar
View Profile
Regular user
Solarzar
109 Posts

Profile of solarzar
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 03:02, Godzilla wrote:
I also understand a reader with that something different will get more participants at a Psychic Fair as well! I have seen this!

Just using the Major Arcana may not satisfy this issue at the Psychic Fairs. At the fairs I work readers are labelled by their divination tool with a brief write up about the reader. As already mentioned what will make you unique is what you say you do with your readings.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Solarzar
The Magic is within us!
www.Magic4Life.com
www.Solarzar.net
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
With all due respect to all who have replied...
I am not looking for a quick fix,and plan on running out and doing tomorrow!
Just trying to get some good advice on the direction to take! Smile
This will be a long learning process for me!

Gary
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1880 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Enrique and I discuss this very topic quite often and in fact some these discussions appear in the film. For the record he feels, and I'm beginning to agree, that a solid and very useful reading can be had with majors only. So you're in good company if you head in this direction

As far as the sitters are concerned, they want advice and some sort of direction. The Major Arcana offers this
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 11:03, Godzilla wrote:
With all due respect to all who have replied...
I am not looking for a quick fix,and plan on running out and doing tomorrow!
Just trying to get some good advice on the direction to take! Smile
This will be a long learning process for me!

Gary

I started out by just learning the major arcana then added the minor as I got more au fait with the cards. I usually just perform short readings so I usually separate off the major and explain what I'm doing. If I were reading for money, I'd be giving value upon value and using everything at my disposal!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I always used to just use the major arcana... but nowadays I use drawings instead and my own little systems...

though, there will always be a fascination and a draw for me, towards an elegant set of tarot...
I've asked to be banned
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 11:35, IAIN wrote:
I always used to just use the major arcana... but nowadays I use drawings instead and my own little systems...

though, there will always be a fascination and a draw for me, towards an elegant set of tarot...

There is other avenues if divination I predict in my futuure...
Just mainly starting to get my feet wet! Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you plucked three paperbacks out of a bookshop at random, do you think you could roughly guess at the contents of each judging it by the cover, the title and so on? then what relationship does the first book have to the next? what are the similarities and the differences? what does it mean to you after finishing book A, to move onto book B? and so on...

major arcana are all that's needed in my humble opinion...
I've asked to be banned
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It all depends on how you read.

For me, restricting my tarot readings to just the Major s would be like painting with a 6" brush. The main composition, shapes, and colors would be there, what would be missing is much of the detail and fine points.

I moved from another deck oracle to the tarot, I was never restricted to using just the Minors.

Then again, a reader can read with anything, or nothing.

Tony
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Many European readers use only the majors. You can do a very deep (and long) reading with majors only. The books "Bauta" by Scott Grossberg and "Tarot and the Hero's Journey" by Hajo Banzhaf can take you very deep in to these cards (as can the book that comes with the Mythic Tarot...learn the Greek myths that come with each major arcana card). Add to that the standard meanings you can find everywhere and you can go as deep as you want.

One example...use a seven card horseshoe and put two cards in each position. The positions from 1-7 are the past, leaving your life right now, the unknown (a part of the inner you), the unexpected (a suprise), the gateway (the lesson you need to learn), the near future, and the further future.

With two cards in each position the top one is what is apparent, the bottom is a hidden influence. You also can read the "space" between these cards...what is the story of how they come together? Just having major arcana doesn't matter...the permutations are practically endless, as are the ways they work together. In addition, as the cards are interpreted within the context of the sitter's question there is endless variety.

The future is easy to tell...it will be the same as the past if you change nothing. The players and locations in your life may change, but your inner emotional experience will be the same. The magick of tarot isn't in telling the future, that part is easy...it is in offering you alternative paths and new ways of thinking you might consider.

These are just suggestions...there are many, many approaches to using the majors only. If you wish to do this I encourage you to go for it.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I usually use the majors only - and have the minor nearby - sometimes - just sometimes, I break them out as part of the Major card reading to add a detail or two - I am doing a modified Bauta style reading sort of thing. Usually, I get by with the Majors but I mostly just do short readings of 15-20 minutes.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
OK I have a stupid Tarot newbie question.

Is there a trick here?

Can you guys recommend a Tarot routine that crosses the line into card magic?

Thanks...
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Persoanlly speaking, tarot cards are for readings, playing cards are for tricks. Not wanting to sound too precious about it all, but I really wouldn't want to start doing tricks with the tarot. It would feel like I was devaluing them.

That does sound a little pretentious doesn't it? Apologies. Smile
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tarot Readers ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL