The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage names, are they passé? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
336 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Brilliant suggestions here, and very valid points on both sides of the fence. This will help a lot of people, like myself, starting out in Mentalism. If anyone's interested in using a foreign word as a name, try this translator as it might give you some good ideas http://translate.reference.com/translate
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 15:00, AttnPls wrote:
Annemann and Fogel did not live in a world where the internet is the primary source of marketing and information.

I deal with this issue professionally for clients on a weekly basis. This is my area of expertise and my current advice is this:

If you value your personal privacy (and you should), use a stage name.

If you are serious about building a career as a performer, your name is your brand and it should be selected with care. Your ability to use your selected name on the internet is very important. Use Google, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter when researching potential names.

Congratulations to Gerard Senehi, who's web site http://www.experimentalist.com/ appears on the first page of my Google search results for the term, "mentalist". Gentlemen, he is your competition.

I suggest you think about using a name that is somewhat unusual, easy to read, easy to pronounce, easy to remember, should not be a swear word or have some other horrible meaning in a common foreign language, and which has an acceptable version of it available as a domain name. If not, then register a domain name like Mr. Senehi did that is all these things.

If you are already established, please create a Youtube Channel/Google Account, Facebook account and page, and Twitter account immediately. You may not realize how important these identities are right now, but believe me, if you take 10 minutes to register these identities now you will not regret it.

Absolutely, I work in marketing by day and constantly deal with people who don't see value in it. Marketing today is deeply tied in with a FB, Twitter and YT. If you don't have an online presence then people can't find you. Nice website too AttnPls
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything? Vincent V.G
granterg
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of granterg
Just an idea for picking a name - geographical places are good i.e., names of capital cities.

granterg
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 21:20, granterg wrote:
Just an idea for picking a name - geographical places are good i.e., names of capital cities.

granterg

I tried that once, but Baghdad Bob didn't work out too well.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 21:23, mastermindreader wrote: I tried that once, but Baghdad Bob didn't work out too well.
That sounds vaguely familiar. Is that back when you wore a turban and did a Q&A similar to Karnac the Magnificent?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
711 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 07:57, Thomas Cooper wrote:
I am trying my best to get known as "Theo" rather than my birth name "Thomas", simply because I dislike Thomas and there are no famous Thomas' anywhere.

Thomas Edison
Thomas Becket
Thomas Cramner
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas J Watson
Thomas Hobbes

...all dead

What about Tommy Cooper now that has a ring to it.
actorcoop
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 15:54, mastermindreader wrote:

...My suggestion is that those who value privacy and anonymity over all else might be better off in a profession other than show business. Those in the business who use stage names generally do so because they don't like the sound of their real names, not because they are trying to hide their true identities.

Besides, it is not difficult to retain a large degree of privacy and security without taking on a pseudonym.

Good thoughts,

Bob

To echo Bob's comment: Should I even mention Lady Gaga?

She has possibly the BIGGEST stage name in show business, and people are STILL going to google search her real name.

If your art is good, people will respect what you do. Your privacy on the other hand- perhaps public accountant is a better profession.

hmm.... I wonder how "The Magnificent Account Dracula" would sound in the office....
*I knew you were going to read this
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2592 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Stage name. Nom de plume.

Sometimes 'being someone else' allows you to be the person you need to be, somewhat like mask work.

Also, with a stage name, you can have more than one.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1699 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I quite like the idea of a stage name and if I relied exclusively on performing for my income I would probably switch up to one, not least because Smith is a bit of a humdrum name here in the UK.

When I perform I wear a persona, and everything I do 'loads' the character - putting on the shiny suit, the feel of my boots, the extra rings and jewellery I usually don't wear, contacts instead of glasses, sorting my hair out, even tying my tie differently... every step is a step into the character. Its like the magic version of the scene in the action movie where the hero loads all his guns and straps his holsters, bandaleros and armour on before the explosive grand finale.

Introducing myself with a different name would be a nice final step psychologically.

Just my thoughts of course, I would be curious to hear from anyone who *does* perform under a stage name how it feels to use it themselves. Does it help you switch into performance mode?

Phill

Posted: Jan 10, 2012 7:57am
Incidentally, one of my first paid close-up gigs was standing in for a pal: I felt very awkward approaching tables, so I just pretended I was him, and it was easy.
(I managed not to do the Kiwi accent though)

That's pretty much still what I do, but now I am pretending to be some parallel universe version of myself. That's why I think a different name would help, it just formalises what I am already thinking.

Phill
Check out the incredible Neural Miracle playing cards on Kickstarter:
-+: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phillsmith/incredible-magic-with-the-neural-miracle-playing-cards :+-
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
336 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
It's funny you should say that Phill. I come from a mime/acting background and didn't think about creating a character specifically for mentalist work until you mentioned what you do. I think the clothes, hair, jewellery idea is a great way to built a character to help enhance the overall performance. Bear in mind, as with all character work there needs to be an element of truth that relates to you so that your character is believable.
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything? Vincent V.G
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
702 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
I, TC Tahoe, think stage names are not passé.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Considering most actors and performance artists that I look up were born under another name, I don't think it is passé (in fact in some cases it is required).
Besides, with my name, what choice do I have???

Tony
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
Ha. The craziness of the internet - http://www.quizopolis.com/stage-name/name-generator/6394/
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
I suspect Vermin Supreme (For President, 2012) got his moniker from this generator Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-10 09:42, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Considering most actors and performance artists that I look up were born under another name, I don't think it is passé (in fact in some cases it is required).

Tony

Quite true that many were born with different names. But, in most cases, the ones you are referring to had legal names changes and were known by their new names in all aspects of their lives, not for the purpose of preserving privacy, but rather for perceived commercial appeal. Thus, these names aren't "stage names," which are really nothing more than pseudonyms that are used for performance purposes only.

There is a big difference.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

But Bob, that is what a stage name is. A name chosen because a given name may not fit or be problematic in some way. There is no stipulation that it is only used on screen, stage, or the covers of books. These names become the public identities of these people, not just pseudonyms. On this rare occasion, I disagree with you.

Tony
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Let's see..I was Jorgini at one time (I was 9) and I think it was 'The Great Jorgini'. Later, I've used Restin Fallers, J. Edwin Thomas (pretentious), Leland Ramsey, Aaron Dalu (with 'brother' Erikk, doing the Blade Box) and Prof. Phondelheinie Gootch doing a Med Show. And even Picasso Von Rembrandt. None of these apply to Mentalism, however. I do like the ability to be whomever you want to be depending on the act that you happen to be doing.

I have found that stage names allowed me to be myself privately, and anyone else publicly. I tried being one person for both for a period of time (doing psychic work) but found it burdensome. It is easier for me to get into character if that character is someone else.

So, one vote for stage names from me.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-10 12:06, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
But Bob, that is what a stage name is. A name chosen because a given name may not fit or be problematic in some way. There is no stipulation that it is only used on screen, stage, or the covers of books. These names become the public identities of these people, not just pseudonyms. On this rare occasion, I disagree with you.

Tony

Once they had their names legally changed and/or became known by them in their everyday lives apart from the stage, they were no longer "stage names." My point was that these names were certainly not taken for the purpose of preserving privacy.

Good thoughts,

Bob
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
We have a local juggler who legally changed his name, as Bob C. notes, for professional reasons.

His legal name is now Truly Remarkable Loon.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Here's an interesting legal name change:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06......410.html
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

When I read that story, I remember thinking, who would have ever expected a guy with the name Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop to have pot?
What has the world come to?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage names, are they passé? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL