The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage names, are they passé? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I wonder if he took that name to protect his privacy?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Only if he was a member of the Café.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Nah, he's just following in the footsteps of T.R. Loon.

Same town!
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
627 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 21:23, mastermindreader wrote:
I tried that once, but Baghdad Bob didn't work out too well.

I feel that. I tried marketing myself as The Amazing Foreskin and my Bar Mitzvah bookings plummeted...
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Patr!ck
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Patr!ck
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 13:08, mastermindreader wrote:
I wonder if he took that name to protect his privacy?

I think he changed his name after seeing Doo-Doo the clown and having a little bit to much marijuana^^
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I used 'Long Duck Dong' for awhile !
I know!...it was not as impressive as you would think!
They started calling me Duck,for short!
Then one night a sassy little thing called me Ducker...so you know the rest of the story!
:)
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 11:26, mastermindreader wrote:
This reminds me of the old story about the guy named Larry Lipschitz who went to court to have it changed. The judge asked him what he'd like for his new name. He replied, "Joe Lipschitz."

lol
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
I went from Renzo to Mr.Renzo, but I think it had a lot to do with hitting 50, lol
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of ventman
Much like the names of bands and singers , the purpose of stage names is commercial: to provide a simple, easy to remember hook so you will more likely to be booked later. Hopefully you choose something that isn't hokey (however if someone had mentioned the stage name "Lady Ga Ga", 50 Cent, Usher, etc.... 20 years ago, they would have been laughed off the planet). In the former examples, the performers justified the use of the stage names. Sometimes we get so bound up in the magic and mentalism circle, we forget to look at how successful people in other art forms got where they are. Some stage names are silly. Sometimes the silly name works, sometimes it doesn't.
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
I went to that stage name generator Magicus mentioned and typed in "Bob Cassidy".

As a stage name it came back with "Wade Turner".

"Wade Turner" sounds like a gas station attendant who's not allowed to live within 500 feet of a school or playground.

You made the right decision Bob.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
For some reason ever since I took up the stage name Dr. Crow, no one will pay me until after I perform bank nite.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
My stage name is Greg Otto. My real name is The Amazing Charles.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-10 21:54, Jerskin wrote:
My stage name is Greg Otto. My real name is The Amazing Charles.

May I call you "The?"
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 18:45, Rocketeer wrote:
I went to that stage name generator Magicus mentioned and typed in "Bob Cassidy".

As a stage name it came back with "Wade Turner".

"Wade Turner" sounds like a gas station attendant who's not allowed to live within 500 feet of a school or playground.

You made the right decision Bob.

I went to that same site and typed in "Sid Helkule" and it returned the name "Luke Shield". Rubbish stage name if you ask me.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The computer came up with Money Rhyme for me. I'll stick to Tony Black.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Interesting, Tony. I just went there and got the same name, "Money Rhyme". No joke. Wonder what their algorithm is based on?
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Based on a few tests I think that "Money Rhyme" is a default name that comes up when the first or last name entered isn't in their data base. (I typed in "Boris Carney" and it, too, got the name "Money Rhyme."

I tried my own name again and it still comes up as Wade Turner. My girlfriend's still comes up as Nickie Dark (which she likes). So the name that comes up doesn't appear to be random.
Patr!ck
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Patr!ck
Quote:
I tried my own name again and it still comes up as Wade Turner. My girlfriend's still comes up as Nickie Dark (which she likes). So the name that comes up doesn't appear to be random.

Well, ok^^ that's the same name I get. Does this make me a girl?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

For a guy I imagine that would be spelled "Nicky." Maybe they're subtly suggesting that you would do well performing in drag. Smile

There's some kind of an algorithm here that gives you one of a given number of "stage names" that they've created. It's certainly a very finite list of possibilities.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2581 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Stage names can sometimes be a necessity. For instance in the UK if you with to join the actors and variety performers' union, Equity, you can cannot do so under the name of a current member. (Unless they give their permission) In such circumstances a stage name is an obvious solution to this.

Also a stage name can have advantages. If your actual name is one that is repeatedly either spelt incorrectly, mispronounced or just for whatever reason, not easily remembered, is unlikely to stand you in good stead throughout your career.

Finally, the rather marvellous, late stand up, from the UK, Linda Smith had a great opening line: "Good evening... my name is Linda Smith... of course just my stage name... my real name is actually Wanda Starburst."
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage names, are they passé? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL