The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage names, are they passé? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
336 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Corinda, Koran, Banachek, Fogal, Kreskin, Annemann... brilliant names and (of course) brilliant mentalists. What do you think about mentalists using stage names? Does it help/hurt today's mentalist? I personally love stage names as they seem to stick in my mind better than real names (besides Richard Osterlind and Bob Cassidy)

What do you gentleman think about stage names, do you have one? Would you recommend adopting one?

Look forward to the discussion
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything? Vincent V.G
actorcoop
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
I think stage names can be very effective. We must remember that even though we are artists and performers, we DO run a business. The services we offer needs branding. What better way to make a mentalist's work stick with somebody than by one's title?

Of course, there is something to be said about the aforementioned stage names- they are tasteful... I believe that these names work today because the old vices are unused, (i.e. any name starting with "The Great" and ending with the suffix "ini.")

If one approaches a stage name as if he could live in it, it will not be passe.

That being said- a mentalist's WORK is far more telling than any name.

Cheers,
Cooper
*I knew you were going to read this
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of guyactor
I loved the big names of the past like these you mentioned. I believe audiences want to be entertained along side of being mystified, so the practice of the one name mystery man may seem passe. The people I remember the easiest have catchy names - easy to remember, etc.

For any type of public 'performance' (music/magic) I use my first and middle name, rather than last. It's got more of a flair to it.

My 2c.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1703 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I performed with Magic Amit, Dave Vegas and Mozique and one of the punters said:
Him: "Phill Smith? That's not very exciting. Why don't you have a stage name like the others?"

Me: "That is my stage name. You should hear how boring my real name is."

Him: "Really? Wow."

Oh dear. (In his defence he may have been a little bit worse for wear)

Phill
Check out the incredible Neural Miracle playing cards on Kickstarter:
-+: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phillsmith/incredible-magic-with-the-neural-miracle-playing-cards :+-
Boo de Hoop
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
101 Posts

Profile of Boo de Hoop
A lot of stage names are realy ridiculous, not only the ones using the suffix "ini".
I don't like it, if the name sounds, that you will see "the greatest of all times". But what you see for real is a (not very good) amateur.
Especially in Germany you also have the situation, that German names are combined with English terms like "Magic Manfred"...

For me there are some good reasons to use a stage name: If you real name is hard to remember, hard to pronounce etc. a stage name will help.
Sorry for my English! My German is a little bit better ;-)
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
I believe, that is what happened with Banachek, Bood de Hoop. I personally prefer using just my name and surname. I think it's our work that makes our stage name exciting, not the other way round. 'Bob Cassidy' or 'Richard Osterlind' wouldn't sound that great if not for their great contribution to mentalism, performances etc. They build their own brand through their hard work. Whether one chooses to use some unusual stage work, I think it's just a personal preference.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Of course that they are passé. Completely out of modernism.

Sincerely
The Great Amirini
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
I'm all for stage names. As long as it is not names like the one Amira signed with.
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
I am trying my best to get known as "Theo" rather than my birth name "Thomas", simply because I dislike Thomas and there are no famous Thomas' anywhere.

Thomas Edison
Thomas Becket
Thomas Cramner
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas J Watson
Thomas Hobbes

...all dead
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Stage names are stupid, especially those that end with "ini". I mean, really, get a life.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I just use Cirrus. It's the one given to me during a wicca-ritual and I stick with it.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 08:00, Voodini wrote:
Stage names are stupid, especially those that end with "ini". I mean, really, get a life.

I agree with Voodini!

That is like some of the posters coming on Café, and using their Screen name!
Instead of growing a 'Pair', and using their real names!

Best,
Godzilla
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
solarzar
View Profile
Regular user
Solarzar
109 Posts

Profile of solarzar
For me the choice was based on the Internet. Searching by my birth name brings up a geneticist and a molecular biologist, neither are me. My name is part of my branding for finding me on the internet.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Solarzar
The Magic is within us!
www.Magic4Life.com
www.Solarzar.net
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I would NOT perform under my real name. The modern internet has removed all sense of personal privacy. When people Google me as an entertainer, I don't particularly want them finding the book reviews I have written on Amazon.com or my personal address and how much I've paid for my home (yes, this IS the information that comes up when you Google me).

Likewise, as a mentalist, I don't want people finding posts I've left on theMagicCafe.com.

One of the criteria for selecting a name today is the ability to register an acceptable domain name, and matching Twitter ID, and Youtube ID. These names are a fundamental part of creating an online identity which is critical for any marketing program.

I would highly suggest keeping your personal identity and performing identity separate -- especially if you are just starting out and have the choice to do so.

What constitutes a good name is another topic. I would suggest, however, making something easy to remember and easy to spell. Beyond that, it's up to you.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2444 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
It depends what you call a stage name. There are of course the silly ones: The Great ******ini then the one word pretentious ones: Marconi, Shrubsole.

But I don't use my real last name as it's just not catchy and everyone pronounces it wrongly anyway. And a lot can be said for keeping your private life private and showbiz separate. (Also stops nutters looking you up) If someone looks under my stage name they get to the correct places for that and conversely if I'm doing some other business under my real name, they don't get all this mentalism stuff coming up.

So I use my real first name and then a chosen (quite standard) surname.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
All good information and advice here, but I'd point out to the original poster that Annemann and Fogel weren't stage names.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
502 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
As an African-American mentalist, my stage name is of Kenyan origin. It is "Wangila" which means "one born on a journey"
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2444 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 07:57, Thomas Cooper wrote:
I am trying my best to get known as "Theo" rather than my birth name "Thomas", simply because I dislike Thomas and there are no famous Thomas' anywhere.

Thomas Edison
Thomas Becket
Thomas Cramner
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas J Watson
Thomas Hobbes

...all dead

Well, Mr Moist seems to be catching on quite well here, young Thomas. Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
This reminds me of the old story about the guy named Larry Lipschitz who went to court to have it changed. The judge asked him what he'd like for his new name. He replied, "Joe Lipschitz."
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I often just use my middle name and last name when I'm doing pure entertainment... and my first and last name for when I do educational/motivational presentations... I'm thinking of creating the myth of a twin brother.

Dr. Spektor is not my real name or performance name - just an avatar name as I always liked the Gold Key comics character!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage names, are they passé? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL