The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage names, are they passé? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
The Chinese believe a person has several faces.

My stage name (not my CaféPress avatar name) is such a face.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
892 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
My real name actually DOES happen to be Paul Pacific.

A perfect stage name if I do say so myself!! Smile
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
Annemann and Fogel did not live in a world where the internet is the primary source of marketing and information.

I deal with this issue professionally for clients on a weekly basis. This is my area of expertise and my current advice is this:

If you value your personal privacy (and you should), use a stage name.

If you are serious about building a career as a performer, your name is your brand and it should be selected with care. Your ability to use your selected name on the internet is very important. Use Google, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter when researching potential names.

Congratulations to Gerard Senehi, who's web site http://www.experimentalist.com/ appears on the first page of my Google search results for the term, "mentalist". Gentlemen, he is your competition.

I suggest you think about using a name that is somewhat unusual, easy to read, easy to pronounce, easy to remember, should not be a swear word or have some other horrible meaning in a common foreign language, and which has an acceptable version of it available as a domain name. If not, then register a domain name like Mr. Senehi did that is all these things.

If you are already established, please create a Youtube Channel/Google Account, Facebook account and page, and Twitter account immediately. You may not realize how important these identities are right now, but believe me, if you take 10 minutes to register these identities now you will not regret it.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I've been told that my name says magic more than mentalism, but cest la vie - it works for me. Cool… I rhymed. Smile Of course, I'm still livin' in the Amazing Kreskin era. I use my Magical Michael name because it has assonance and it's what my lovely wife offered when I asked her what she thought. She's a writer too, so assonance means a lot in our itsy, bitsy family (don't read anything into that). Smile

I've always believed in stage names. Some are just lucky enough to be born with one (Paul Pacific), others have to be creative (Banachek). Mine simply works well and makes a great intro: "Hi. I am the Amazing Magical Michael. I'm Michael because that's what my Mom named me. I'm Magical because that's what I do. And I'm Amazing because it gives me a better spot in the Yellow Pages." *badumpbump*
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
solarzar
View Profile
Regular user
Solarzar
109 Posts

Profile of solarzar
AttnPIs thank you for your explanation.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Solarzar
The Magic is within us!
www.Magic4Life.com
www.Solarzar.net
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2444 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Thinks about changing his name to Aaron Aardvark from AA1 Mentalists Inc.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
There are no famous Thomas' anywhere.

Thomas Edison
Thomas Becket
Thomas Cramner
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas J Watson
Thomas Hobbes

What about Thomas the Tank Engine? Smile
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Not to forget Doubting Thomas. (Which is actually a good one for you, Theo!) Smile
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I think if your real name is Malcolm then a stage name is a must.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-09 15:00, AttnPls wrote:
Annemann and Fogel did not live in a world where the internet is the primary source of marketing and information.

That's very true, but it has nothing to do with the intent of my comment, which was simply to point out that "Annemann" and "Fogel" weren't stage names.

That said, I disagree with your blanket statement that everyone who values their privacy should adopt a stage name. I am reminded of the remark that Houdini once made later in life that if he had to do it all over again he would have stayed with his real name. He wasn't someone who was particularly concerned with anonymity - and neither are the vast majority of those who go into public professions.

My suggestion is that those who value privacy and anonymity over all else might be better off in a profession other than show business. Those in the business who use stage names generally do so because they don't like the sound of their real names, not because they are trying to hide their true identities.

Besides, it is not difficult to retain a large degree of privacy and security without taking on a pseudonym.

Good thoughts,

Bob
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I use my stage name to hide my real name. Years ago someone told me Anthony is not a showy name, so I switched to Tony for business purposes. Tony works, because it is close enough to my own name that I answer to it - which is quite important!

By calling myself Tony Baloney for kids shows, and Tony Black for adult shows, I can create an identity that I have no embarassment about pushing. I would not push my own name.

It also has the side effect that I don't need to tell people what I do for a living. I use my real name for most purposes, and most people will not know how I make my living, unless I chose to tell them.

It helps that I am not famous! That would screw up the grand plan. So I am all in favour of stage names - just so long as they don't start with The Great...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Just to be clear, I believe there are many valid reasons for stage names. But if show business is your profession, a desire for privacy is generally not the foremost consideration. In fact, I'd say it's pretty low on this list.

Now if you have a day job and are just a part-time performer, that could well be a different story.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
There are days I would love to have a day job.
Seriously, a number of years ago I was short-listed for a poetry award. All I had to do was read one of my poems in public, and I was in the final five. I gave up the chance of the award rather than do that.

Under my own name I would stay at home. Under a stage name I find it easy to throw on a persona and face the public. Some performers are naturally gregarious and outgoing. But some of us aren't. That's why stage names are great.
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Pharmaceutical companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on naming a drug.
AFLAC Insureance company realizing thier name was a hinderance to business spent millions in a PR campaign that changed thier company.
Isuzu had the same problem and and also spent millions, didn't help them.
The Jury is still out on a company called ING, but it doesn't look good.
Naming your company has huge implications in today's googling world.
When Boston Chicken changed thier name to Boston Market, they had a huge drop in sales.
Research psychologists have found that a person's name has a direct impact to people's perception of trust.

Sooo, I don't know, what do you think, are stage names obsolete?

Of course some stage names are childish and unimaginative, others are perfect. Banacheck in his book explains why he chose his stage name. A good study in the Business of Entertainment.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
My name IS Derek Heron but I have, on occasion, performed as Kinesis. I have also considered using Derek Anthony (Anthony is my middle name) as my name when I do corporate speaking. What d'you think?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Tony Derek would also sound good, I think.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I like the name Derek Heron... but I generally have an aversion to using two first names. Besides, you already have your domain name which is great.

Posted: Jan 9, 2012 5:49pm
Tony Derek has a nice ring to it.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I often use Anthony Jacquin. I think it's a great name and I honestly think I suit it better than he does. My act is also better than his as well, which, in a way, helps him (Ant) somewhat?
The very best news however is how my tax bill went racing down last year!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12326 Posts

Profile of John C
I like derren most people remember it and it makes me look good
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 18:53, bobser wrote:
I often use Anthony Jacquin. I think it's a great name and I honestly think I suit it better than he does. My act is also better than his as well, which, in a way, helps him (Ant) somewhat?
The very best news however is how my tax bill went racing down last year!

I like this, very good, very funny.

I also like Derek Anthony.

I lso think Doubting Thomas is much better than Theo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stage names, are they passé? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL