The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Advanced forms of yelling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 17:13, Kennith wrote:
A real simple one that I usually do to get started is just simply ask them if they want to see some magic? they’ll shout yes, I’ll say I almost couldn’t hear that, do you want to see some magic? they will shout louder, and I’ll say maybe it’s the distance but I just can’t here you up here DO YOU WANT TO SEE SOME MAGIC. And they’ll shout even louder.

I think this is getting back to "just plain yelling" and we need to do better. Sure it can be a descent ice breaker for a show but certainly not worth noting as "advanced".

Quote:
Another one is when I have a kid on stage I ask for his/hers name and then I “forget” his/hers name repeatedly so every time I talk to the kid I’ll give him/her a different name. This always makes them shout out the real name.

A bit better than your last example but still...

Quote:
A third one is to do a vanishing silk or whatever you prefer and pretend to do it really clumsy by putting your hand up under your arm very fast and when you show your hands empty they will shout “You have it under your arm” I’ll raise the other arm and say nope nothing there. They’ll shout the other arm and I’ll say This is the other arm they usually repeat The other arm and I’ll raise that one to so they can see that is’s really gone.

A pretty standard bit. Not awful but we can do better.

Sprinkling in a couple of these in a 45 minute show is fine but I wouldn't overdo it with ones like this. All pretty standard "get the kids to yell" bits.

I think a couple things we can use to test our "bits" is to ask ourselves:
Would parents in another room recognize what they hear as anything differernt than just "yelling" ?
Would parents watching your show enjoy these ideas? Would they participate if watching? What if you were doing an all adults show? Enjoyable for them? Or just plain silly?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
At one point in a trick I say "OK, the magic words this time are "flimfoddle diddledaddle bimpetyboppledy dabble klaggle...etc, etc" It's really long and ridiculous and impossible to remember. Then I have them say it. usually a few kids laugh and start to try it, then the rest follow along. Sometimes after that I say "you forgot the "blammoflipple shadoogitz part" After that I may leave it as is, or I might just give them an easy magic word to use instead. They think it's funny, so do the parents.

For birthdays for a kid around 4 - 6 (maybe older or younger sometimes), as soon as I enter the home and get to the room where the kids are, I ask where Cindy(the birthday girl" is. I then act like I can't find her and look in crazy places like under a vase, in a bag, etc. of course all the kids yell "she's right here" and I say "where, where, she's about this big and has brown hair" and keep looking, trying to look right past her, turning around so she's behind me, etc. They say "she's right here!" and I say "I know she has hair!". After about 2 minutes I find her and say I've been looking all over. They love it - they laugh a lot - not just scream, and right away I've warmed them up and established my silly personalty before I even set up my stuff. The parents are impressed because I've gotten them laughing and having fun the minute I walk in. The down side is after that they may follow me over to my box of stuff and watch while I set up - which I prefer them not to do - but no big deal.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
At schools, I find out "pet sayings" of principles, counselors and/or teachers.
I also make reference to popular youtube videos...such as ________ or _______, I start a line and 9 out of 10 times the students fill in the line. One can also see others mouthing the word without speaking.
One can do the same thing with commercials that get repeated alot.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Advanced forms of yelling (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL