The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Luna Performance? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
Opps some one else said the "CH" Word! Can we get a Mod to edit all the posts in this forum to use the code name for the materials so laymen can't find out please?
The "18"
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi all,

I built an automated luna tester that covers all three books.

This is a web application, and a great way to verify your luna knowledge or brush up before a performance.

the link to the web application is on the outlaw forum "luna 1936" or PM me

best,

Bill
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 14:08, Roth wrote:
Kieran is in the U.K. so I did give him a head start while he waits for delivery of the book.

Oh .. do people in the UK need a head start? Smile
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2012-01-28 11:06, billappleton wrote:
Hi all,

I built an automated luna tester that covers all three books.

This is a web application, and a great way to verify your luna knowledge or brush up before a performance.

the link to the web application is on the outlaw forum "luna 1936" or PM me

best,

Bill

Amazing work Bill!! I just received my 1935 and started using this today. There may be an error for the man next to the woman for that year. When I check my work it gives me errors for all his entries.

This weekend I am going to have my girlfriend assist me in marking my copy up.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi Chris,

Glad you like the tester. Please let me know if there is an error! I am not aware of any problems.

Be aware that in 1935 if a MAN is selected there is guaranteed to be a WOMAN nearby, but if a WOMAN is selected you don't know who is nearby...

Best, Bill
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2012-05-16 15:30, billappleton wrote:
Hi Chris,

Glad you like the tester. Please let me know if there is an error! I am not aware of any problems.

Be aware that in 1935 if a MAN is selected there is guaranteed to be a WOMAN nearby, but if a WOMAN is selected you don't know who is nearby...

Best, Bill

1935 has a male wild card next to the young girl and a male force next to the woman

You always know who is next to the women.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2012-05-16 16:50, Roth wrote:

You always know who is next to the women.

Just checked, you are right Rick. The 1935 man appears in some non-force entries and is always next to the woman.

Thanks I'll make some updates.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
This looks so very interesting, great posts.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 14:37, billappleton wrote:
Hi All,

The BOOKS are just about perfectly printed, but there is an error in some of the supporting materials and documentation. The error regards how the linked characters are explained.

Someone else said there were errors. Have these since been corrected?

Doug
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
The error is in the .pdf, not the book. If you have the hard copy inst. booklet there is no error there.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Excellent! Thanks, Rick!
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi All,

After some discussion with the good Prof BC who wrote So Dark I have a better understanding of what is going on. There was some confusion on my part about the "two way" linked characters. In 1934 and 1935 the Man and Woman are ALWAYS next to each other. This is correctly explained in the 1934 and 1935 instruction manuals.

In 1936 the Man is always next to the Girl, but the Girl is NOT always next to the Man. This is correctly explained in the 1936 instruction manual. The So Dark performance manual shows how to make 1936 "two way" linked like the other books with some markup edits to the patient entries. This is not correcting an error in the book but rather an optional enhancement.

The table below shows the correct links, I will also update my automated Luna Trainer software. Sorry for the confusion.

CORRECT LINKS

W -> ?
G -> ?
M -> G

G -> WC B
W -> M
M -> W

B -> WC G
M -> W
W -> M
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Where is this software?
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi Michael, sent you a PM
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I am finding that the performance of L*n@ can be quite short, if say, in 1936 the older woman is chosen. In studying 1935, I see the difference. The additional Wild Card is there. I haven't opened 1934 yet, but in reading So Dark, I see the possibility of another Wild Card which really extends the act considerably.

1935 is not as easy to commit to memory as 1936 was. It justs take repetition, that's all. Knowing where to go if you get the male, or the middle-aged woman...and the possible "h*ts". Before I crack open 1934, I'll have 1935 down pat. This gets better and better. I have not reached the point where 1935 is linked with 1936 yet. One step at a time.

I like where this is going...

Doug
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
If using Pearly Gates, the oder women will not come up in Luna 1936, thus giving 2 Luna reveals as well as the one from the internment.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2012-09-12 12:05, Dougini wrote:
I am finding that the performance of L*n@ can be quite short, if say, in 1936 the older woman is chosen.

The ultimate presentation is to pass out all the books and bounce back and forth between three readers.

That is why I wrote the Luna Trainer software! Gives me quite a bit of confidence going in...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-09-12 12:32, billappleton wrote:
The ultimate presentation is to pass out all the books and bounce back and forth between three readers.

I have a ways to go before that, LOL! But, yes...that's the goal! Then PG...I love it! Smile

Doug
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Whenever I see L*na pop up in discussions, it interests me because of how often I've performed it.

Ideally, you want the lights relatively low. I have my volunteer positioned across the table from me. There's a lamp she can read by. Nox Arcana is playing softly in the background and just before starting into the effect, I light a candle. This means nothing except that it tends to get people focused on the flame and as their attention is focused...so are they.

Never EVER underestimate the "power of the pause" in this presentation. I've seen several presentations of this effect where the performer seemed like he could hardly get the words out quickly enough...or where they actually felt a little bored. Silence, used properly, will always enhance the presentation.

Have you ever had to listen carefully for some very soft or hard to hear voice? What does your body posture do at that moment? That's what you want to do when you're listening for the whispers that come out of this presentation.

The other mistake many make with this routine is to minimize the volunteer...which is a huge mistake. They are experiencing the story and the revelations along with you. The represent the audience. You WANT them to be a part of the show...to have to concentrate on the book in their hands and the "person" speaking to them through it. In short, the L*na presentation isn't about you...it's about the journey you are taking the audience on.

Consider a deliberate near miss in what you say. Maybe you are off by a number...or a letter. Correct yourself as you listen for that "voice." You are going to be astounded at how effective this will be in getting the audience on-side...pulling for you. It also goes a long way toward enhancing your credibility.

I try very hard not to think about this as an effect. It really is a journey...a complete story presented and told live to my audience. To optimize this powerful routine, I really DO feel like I'm hearing the story for the first time. It's all about acting after all, right?

Don't be afraid to embellish a little. For example, when discussing the woman next to the violent man, I'll often infer that there once was a strained relationship between them. There's nothing in the book to support this...but that revelation is wedged between hit after hit, confirmed by the volunteer...so the audience gets reeled into the story and they believe it. Describe what she was wearing, a drab grey hospital gown...wild hair. Again -- it's pure embellishment -- but it enhances the whole effect. Did she kill herself at the end? It's your story.

Finally -- if you're not in the right environment -- don't do it. Consider doing another routine. Impact is hugely lessened when you are in a busy place full of other people talking, kids crying etc. I don't think it's impossible to do in these circumstances. It's just not optimal.

Hope these thoughts help a little.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Ya, I agree with the embellishment aspect and even adding additional stuff of your own as you go along. Not every performance has to be the same. You can tell background stories, particularly about the scared girl or sadistic man and make them up as you go along. I like to talk about the plight of the nurses as well( after all it is a nurses registry)and tell that in this time of depression, many of them were not much better off than some of the patients.....err residents. I like to tell how often they would turn deaf ears to the pleas of the young woman as she is tormented by the older man. I have made notations here and there in the book ( I use 1936) that would indicate a degree of instability with the nurses as well. Talk about the grounds, the corridors, anything to add ambience to the presentation. One could easily make this an hour long if desired but for my purposes, 10 minutes usually does suffice though one of these days I may attempt to take it further. Interesting to read about the exdperiences of others in this respect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Luna Performance? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL