The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Benji...We Did Not Know! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..15..18..21..24..27..29~30~31 [Next]
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
For some reason I decided to read through the entire thread and came to the following conclusion, MindPro, DannyDoyle and a few others seem to be the most sane and for the about the same price as Benji's book you can buy "The Restaurant Magic Reader" by Jim Sisti, a man with over 25 years of experience.

Now if I could just figure out how to get that 10 minutes of my life back....
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
Hi guys..... OK... I only had read the first post, and being a restaurant worker needing work, it sounded pretty good. ...so I bought it. I'm afraid to open the package now, cuz it might explode! I'll be quite sad if it's about how to screw people into hiring you. I don't believe in dishonest marketing. However, I'll post a review when it gets delivered - trying to glean helpful info from the book - and let the product speak for itself.

Hoping I didn't get screwed,
Dennis
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Dennis, I don't think you'll get screwed, as I suspect it is very much the same standard material that has always been out there, just added to and sprinkled with Benji's personal insights, things he's picked up from his guru idols, and of course with Benji's own guruness-in-training flavored in.

After all the criticism he's been receiving here at in other places I would seriously doubt he's pushing his unscrupulous and unethical tactics in this book. Restaurant work is quite easy to generate and execute as they key players are much more accessible than in corporate America. It's Benji's book on how he goes from restaurants to the exclusive corporate entertainer that he now claims (in just a few short months) that will be the true read with the goods you may be speaking of.

As a real restaurant worker please give us your thoughts as to the originalness of the content and if there is anything new or groundbreaking in those pages.

Please remember, the thoughts many of us have expressed in these posts are not so much about restaurant work in specific as they are about his general thoughts and practices, and perspectives as a whole in general.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
How many respected restaurant books are there out there out of curiosity? If more than 1, has anyone been through each one to see what's been rehashed and what is new and/or groundbreaking? Might be helpful for everyone. Thanks!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
There are very few books on restaurant magic, however, the Magic Menu was a magazine that was devoted to actual restaurant magic and tips of the trade etc. It is available in several volumes.

Blair

(Now back to you guys!)
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I would say this. There are a lot of books out there that have basically the same info as other books. The key difference for some people is the presentation in which the information is conveyed. Some writing styles are more conducive for learning for some people as are other writing styles. Are any of them wrong? No. Can there be more than one book on the market with a lot of the same material written in a different style? Yes. There are a plethora of examples in your local book store of this and each has it's own customer base. In the case of Benji, he'll have a market share of customers that prefer his style and content.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Since I am one the less sane of the top few mentioned, please Duane, get that review posted as quickly as possbile. Sure its only one review but if it adds any light to this most viewed thread, please clue the crazies in.

Actually its more of a compliment if you have attended one of my shows so thanks.

Back to restaurant gigs.

Decomp
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
(Sipping coffee and waiting)
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Smile, great idea, thanks Jay. Will be up all night, time to get started.

Just a FYI for the Café historians. Tricky Business currently has one thread with more views. Its holiday bookings. However, it was started in 2009 and picked up business each year, sort of an annual information thread.

The Benge thread just started this month and look at the views. It would be more but Benge had another thread that would have broken some records if this one had not been started. Remember, Benge did not start this thread.

PS: I feel I am more neutral rather then being in the Benge camp. I feel we can group together here and find the good of all our members if we will just bury the axe. What ya say sane people?
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
The book hasn't come ion the mail yet... will review when I get it.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Oh my bad Dennis, thought you had it. Penguin is usually pretty fast shipping all my mentalism gimmicks. Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 16:42, lunatik wrote:
I would say this. There are a lot of books out there that have basically the same info as other books. The key difference for some people is the presentation in which the information is conveyed. Some writing styles are more conducive for learning for some people as are other writing styles. Are any of them wrong? No. Can there be more than one book on the market with a lot of the same material written in a different style? Yes. There are a plethora of examples in your local book store of this and each has it's own customer base. In the case of Benji, he'll have a market share of customers that prefer his style and content.

unatik, You said it well and I completely agree. Very, very, very few magic marketing books are written with all brand new ideas. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that because for the most part, good teaching is simply reminding others that they can do it too. Fact is, most of the time we need to be reminded more than we need informing.

"Learning is finding out what we already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you." --Richard Bach

If Benji's book only inspires someone to try, then it will be worth the price. Nowadays you can't even buy a quarter with a hole in it for twenty dollars. Smile

Tom

PS,
Bill, Thanks for the kind words above about my book. I appreciate it and it is good to see that it's still working for you. Best with the shows.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Went on Gigmasters before work. Saw Benji's Advert. One of the best on GM. Its like a pro was called in and designed it. Just the facts.

:coffee:

Comp
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Benji is on Gigmasters under "Corporate Events & High-End Events". And then it says he is available for:

Anniversaries, Bachelor Parties, Bachelorette Parties, Banquets, Birthday Parties, Children's Birthday Parties, Celebrations, Christenings, Christmas Parties, Church Services, Clubs, Community Events, Conventions, Corporate Functions, Dinner Dances, Festivals, Fund Raisers, Funerals, Graduation Parties, Grand Openings, Picnic, Private Parties, Proms, Restaurants, Reunions, Sweet 16 Parties, Weddings, Wedding Ceremonies, Wedding Cocktail Hours, Wedding Receptions...and more.

That looks like the right keywords and marketing for corporate and high end events. Okay, continue.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Tom,

You are most welcome. Your book will be working for others long after you and I are out of business. Definitely one of the BEST buys I ever made.

- B.H.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Whilst we sip our Smile and await the first review,
http://virtual.magicalwisdom.com/tv

p.s. Brian Miller are you being facetious? Lol
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I know he has to be Devious. I also am with GM and have all those checkmarks also.

Decomposing Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Gigmasters. Where ALL the high end corporate work is found LOL.

Hey lets slow down a bit. Lets be clear about what is being said ok? lunatic check my math here ok?

NOBODY has said anyone can not write a book about magic marketing have they? If so I havn't seen it.

I know what my position is and it is the following. Simply put Benji encourages business practices that will be harmful to a person new to magic who does not know any better. The idea that you can short cut your way to the top is harmful. (IN MY OPINION.)

I have also said at 23 he simply does not have the mileage on his opinions to state that they work for decades and cause LASTING SUCCESS. This is simple math guys and can not be disputed by anyone but syncophantic drones.

I am also saying that without even having read the book in the case of Tom and decomposed, you have raised Benji and his hair brained Ralph Kramden schemes to a level that is just beyond silly. You do this on the basis of having "faith" in him and see something in him. Turns out what you "see" in him is a repeat of other ideas and old worn out practices.

I have said that the tactics that Benji uses assume that everyone you deal with is an idiot. He assumes he is the smartest guy in the room and manipulates people or at least tries to. I am saying he is a BS artist of the highest calibur. He lies to people to get what he wants and has encouraged this on the Café'. What little "insight" he may have is that of a 23 year old and quite basic and therefore should not be writing a book of any sort. We spotted his wannabe guru act from his first posts here on the Café' and nobody should be shocked that this was his goal.

Just summing it up sort of from my perspective. None of that is personal about Benji. But let me say something personal and about his performance. While he tends to drone ON AND ON AND ON in his dopey how to videos for marketing, he put up one time some footage of himself doing the "Magic Square". This video is actually a good performance. He is comfortable with people and pulls off the trick quite well. I can infer from this video he is an adequate performer. So his performance skills are NOT in question by me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 00:52, Devious wrote:
p.s. Brian Miller are you being facetious? Lol

Of course not. Advertising for kids birthday parties is how I get all my high end corporate events. *eye roll*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 10:35, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-15 16:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
We knowbwhat your talking about and doing.
You twist words and play "gotcha" because this is passing for clever in your world.

Its standard for the VERY FEW of youwho defend this guy. Predictable as the tides.

See offering to read and honestly discuss a book in no way contradicts not believing his pronouncements. ONLY in your world where nameless faceless people throw attacks for. Fun does this work.

If you guys want to sit at the grown up table then put on your big boy pants and do so. But considering his target market grownups is not in the cards.

Danny, you LOVE to point out and latch onto what others say, never letting go, yet when it happens to you, all of a sudden it's an attack? It's time to man up.

Ok I will type a bit slower for you. I have no idea what you are blathering about.

If you are saying I hold people to account for what they say, then why is this such a bad thing? I am saying when you say someone is "bi-polar" and then misquote them to prove it THAT is an attack.

English seems to be your first language but I am not certain. If it is not then I am sorry for making such an assumption. Please let me know which language is better to try to speak with you in and I will try that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Benji...We Did Not Know! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..15..18..21..24..27..29~30~31 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL