We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Benji...We Did Not Know! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 18:18, Benji Bruce wrote:
MUM Magazine review by Dan Garrett (February Issue Page 55)

“At first glance, this book appeared to be the work of a young performer with a very repetitive style. I assumed it would simply be a heavy rehash of standard motivational techniques and general marketing concepts applied to restaurant magic. But the author soon gets down to the nitty-gritty, discussing everything about performing at restaurants: getting the gig, keeping the gig, creating an image, how to dress, how to approach a table, and advice on the subject of tips. And much more. He approaches restaurant work as a means to an end, that of booking the more lucrative corporate and private gigs from the restaurant clientele. This is certainly a good way to look at it.

Although you might not agree with every single one of Mr. Bruce’s points or opinions, you will have a tremendous amount of thinking to consider. All of the ideas work well for the author, and should work for anyone who applies them correctly. Many of the concepts will align with what you have already discovered if you work restaurants for any length of time, but a lot of these revelations are eye-opening. You’ll find that the author doesn’t just speak in generalities but gets right down to specifics. He doesn’t hold back.

Near the end of the book is some advice on using social media to promote your business, specifically Facebook. This is a necessary device in today’s world that can make a huge difference in how potential clients view you. It can even be more effective than a website, because you are seen by the public as a real person as well as an entertainer.

There’s more sound marketing advice given, including the use of business cards, getting exposure on the radio and television, and a host of additional topics. Benji covers a lot of ground, with the theme throughout being “perform like a businessman.” (Perhaps he should have said “business person.”)

Overall, if you get past the youthful, assertive, and often repetitive style, this e-book will give you a tremendous amount of advice and many points to ponder. If you perform for a restaurant or are considering performing at a restaurant in the future, I recommend that you give the art of restaurant gigs a look. When you desire to reread something multiple times you know it has value. Take it from one who has been there, even the most seasoned restaurant magician will learn a thing or two here.”

Benji, You are the man!
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
That review is probably the same one I would have given: overall positive on the restaurant advice (especially the social media part), negative on the style, ego, and the business "man" thing. I definitely would have had something to say about the whole "waiter method" thing, but I guess Mr. Garrett didn't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ones with something to say are the ones that are bothered by his ego, and bothered by how he does not even publicly defend the flat out bad advice he has given on his blog.

The people defending Benji need to get it out of their heads that this was all about the book itself. It wasn't. I'm happy for him for whatever success he has, but I'd still love to know his thoughts on the advice he has given that advocated lying.

That is all for now.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Thank you Dave for your thoughts
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Social media marketing is something that needs to be covered right in magic literature. It is in its infancy, but it will need to be manipulated properly by people who understand it WAY better than I do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 20:59, Dannydoyle wrote:
Social media marketing is something that needs to be covered right in magic literature. It is in its infancy, but it will need to be manipulated properly by people who understand it WAY better than I do.

It is one of those things that is constantly being developed and also changes constantly with trends. Its one of those things that needs to be kept up with.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 20:57, lunatik wrote:
Thank you Dave for your thoughts

No no, thank you for YOUR thoughts.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Social media marketing is in its infant stages. There is much more to it then most believe. It is evolving in what seems to be a daily basis. IMO.

Respectively submitted,

Decomposing
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 21:15, Decomposed wrote:
Social media marketing is in its infant stages. There is much more to it then most believe. It is evolving in what seems to be a daily basis. IMO.

Respectively submitted,

Decomposing

To assign some sort of age to social media is to suggest that it will one day be done evolving. It won't, it will always be changing. What works now will change in 10 years, and again in the following 10. Therefore, I don't think we should classify it as an "infant" if it is going through constant change.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Social media has a great way to keep in touch with people. The PROBLEM with social media is to get from notice to action. That is the formula for cold fussion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I tell ya I heard the other day stuff I had no idea exsisted with linking everything together, this and that. I admit I have jumped on a few of them but really have no clue how to link everything together like they are referring to. I still cannot see how people are getting leads from this but they are.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2824 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I have read several pages already and looked over different sections of the book. So far I would have to agree with the Dan Garrett review.

It would be impossible to absorb all the information in one reading. It's packed with good marketing advice. This is definitely a book to keep and it is well worth the price.

Well done Benji.

Of course there will always be parts that will be debatable. That's true with any of the marketing stuff. Most of the time with books like this, we find some of the stuff we set out to find. True in life too, we can always find the good in anybody if we only try.

To say you know what's inside a book without reading it is just plain silly. I'm glad I bought the book. I now know.

I can understand why Benji doesn't want to get involved in a constant explaining battle. It's certainly not because he just dislikes everyone here. And honestly, he doesn't need all the negative stuff right now. He has places to go and things to do.

I also understand that sometimes, "you have to stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone."

Take care,

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom in case you havn't noticed (and obviously you have not) we moved onto social media and the advice on that. NOT controversial at all. Try to keep up.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Benji...We Did Not Know! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL