The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lines or other ways to start applause (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JRediens
View Profile
Regular user
Roma, Italy
147 Posts

Profile of JRediens
Hi,
I am an amateur magician, and I perform only for friends o friends of friends things like that. When I finish perorming I ask opinion to a spectator, what he liked, if he saw something. Sometimes the say that they would have liked to applause, but it felt a little awkward to applaude a friend so he/she waited for someone else to start.
so: how to you give the little push that transform awe, shock, plaisure, appreciation anithing you hard worked to obtain in a gratifying applause?
I easily obtain only when I "transform" someone else in the magician and the layman makes the trick so: " a big round of applause for...." works well. I don't directly ask for it and those are some of my strongest effects
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I usually use

"after that wonderful burst of apathy"

Or

"Now that the applause has died down"
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Smile, raise your hands, and give a slight bow. All that is needed.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 22:13, Father Photius wrote:
Smile, raise your hands, and give a slight bow. All that is needed.

David Stone suggests from one of his videos to make a clapping gesture once and as Father Photius suggests, a slight bow and a smile.
That will do it~ Smile
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
*double-A-magic*
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, England, UK
255 Posts

Profile of *double-A-magic*
"When I first saw that effect I was so amazed that I too forgot to applause..."

or something to that effect. Wayne Dobson used it and it worked for him.

AA
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."
<BR>
<BR>- Joseph Dunninger -
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I actually teach my audiences the "Applause Position" at the beginning of my pitch, which is as above; smile, raise hands, bow.

I make a joke out of "assuming the position" and show them what to do. Gets the audience interaction going early and lets them know what's expected.

It's odd, but I've seriously found that- it's almost as though audiences don't know how to react to live entertainment anymore.

As I tell them:

"This is live entertainment, folks. I'm not a TIVO or an XBox, and I don't have a pause button!"

Interact with them- audience participation is KEY to being a good magician.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
All of the above posters beat me to best answer. Assume the position! (I think it’s technically called a “Star” pose). If you can have fun with this, the audience will love you for it.

I haven’t seen your style, but it’s very common for beginning magicians to plunge right into “the next trick” without allowing time for the audience to respond (and they really do want to!) Make sure they know the effect is over; there is a definite climax; then assume the position and wait. It might feel awkward at first, and some of the jokes are not out of line, but your audience will quickly pick up the hint, and you generally won’t have any problems after that.

Best of Luck!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
To extend a bit on the previous posts

The smile, hands spread, slight bow of the head serves as an "acceptance" gesture and signals the you're willing to accept their thanks. It doesn't have to be big and wide - subtle is often the best way. But the key is to wait - don't talk during this moment or they audience will think that you're moving on and they've missed their chance. Sometimes it helps if you silently say "ta-da" in your head to give you the right beat to pause on.

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
One other bit

The "thank you" at the end of an effect sometimes seems like you are thanking the audience in advance for their applause. It can come off the wrong way, like you are expecting them to applaud. I always try to remember that I'm thanking them for the chance to perform and for their attention.

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Conditioning is the way to go. In the science show I do in front of schools I do the following. The first trick we do is remove a table cloth leaving the cups on the table. I explain iam going to go 3, 2, 1 and do the trick and if something great happens that they clap and cheer. When I do it I stand there with my hands starched out and smile and nod. From then on a count down and that stance helps.

Also as a performer seeing and learning that people respond in different ways like moving closer and getting a better view point. Or asking stuff as you perform. These are mainly for close up.

So there I have just repeated what every one else as already said.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
If that's the situation...seriously...ham it up a bit. TAKE A BOW! Do it with a grin on your face to show you aren't taking yourself "too" seriously. People, even in casual situations, WILL applaud IF you give them some kind of cue. Most amateurs working for friends are somewhat embarrassed by it, but you shouldn't be. (If you are...)

Note, also, that a particular casual situation may not call for the applause and actually be somewhat awkward. You can feel stuff like that out. How rowdy is the crowd? Do you WANT to draw more attention to yourself? What about the situation seems to call for an applause cue?

Best,
Brad Burt
vinh31
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of vinh31
Another way to condition for applause is simply to ask them to do it.
Let me explain:
When you ask the help of a member of the audience, you tell the audience to give the gentleman a round of applause. This way they get used to doing it and it sets them in the mood. If you anchor it with a specific stance or grin or smile, then you can trigger back the "applaude" mood at the end when you need it.
vinh31
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of vinh31
Or you can simply ask an assistant to start the applause. The others will just follow.
JRediens
View Profile
Regular user
Roma, Italy
147 Posts

Profile of JRediens
Thanks for the good tips you are giving! Now I only have to chose those that fit most my style and situation.
Thanks, and please don't stop posting!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lines or other ways to start applause (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL