The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalists of all time (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Matt Chalk
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
166 Posts

Profile of Matt Chalk
Without a doubt Peter Turner, he is changing the face of mentalism as a whole
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1093 Posts

Profile of reese
Bert Reese, Charles Foster, Eva Fay and... Kreskin!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'm not quite old enough to have seen Reese, Foster or Fay, so I can't honestly include them as among my favorites.

My all-time favorite is Dunninger.
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I'm not quite old enough to have seen Reese, Foster or Fay, so I can't honestly include them as among my favorites.

My all-time favorite is Dunninger.

You should try the dunninger "british" sometime Bob. Would be fun to watch.

I don't have favorites they all are strong on different areas,

Derren Brown is extremely good at showmanship, Peter Turner is good at presentation, Bob Cassidy is good at dark comedy merged with skill and the ability of making the whole audience feel involved. Richard Osterlind has mentalism as a backbone, Steve Banachek is extremely good at participant management and misdirection, Uri Geller is great at making the audience hyped and enlarge amazement, Colin Mcleod is great at subleties and making simplicity into impossibility, Ian Rowland is hilarious and is always one step ahead with cold reading techniques, Joshua Quinn is really clever, Looch is very humble and comes off as really talented.

Joseph Dunninger, Tony Corinda and Theo Annemann are legends.

And they all have one thing in common; they're all great mentalists.

- John L.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
That's a big question. Three top mentalists. I have a hard time separating those who have had the greatest influence on me from those who blow me away with what they do. Plus I rate the entertainment value of what they do at least as highly as the routines they offer. My three, in no particular order, are:

Richard Osterlind: the finest overall performer I've ever seen. Set aside the pile of material he's brought to the community. Here's a guy who can go anywhere and entertain anyone. That friendly, almost bumbling personae is disarming and charming in a stark contrast to the powerful things he does. I saw his MV performance too, starring the worlds most difficult volunteer,and it was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen.

Bob Cassidy: not because everyone else is picking him...but because of his sense of fun and the easy rapport he creates with an audience. He is the image I have in mind when I think of the term "mentalist" because he takes the stage (and the audience) using little bits of paper and a pen and creates magic of the mind -- as well as laughter. Technically he is flawless and his sense of stagecraft and performance is at once vast and grounded in common sense.

John Riggs: has an impossible to copy blend of 'who gives a @@@@", self deprecation and powerful effects that ambush you. Anyone who saw his jack in the box routine at MV knows what I'm talking about. I like his cleverness and his onstage attitude. I don't care for the reading stuff much...but when he's interacting with the audience, he is untouchable. A performer who oozes brilliance.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
David, what's great about you're criteria is it's audience centric.

Osterlind's audiences love him and have a ball. The effects are as killer as they come, but he could make just about anything work because it's about the charm and connection. He doesn't get the credit he deserves because in my opinion because he makes it all look easy.

Not to mention he's probably the humblest creator out there in terms of output and ideas everyone uses in some way, shape or form.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Kreskin

Orson Welles

Osterlind
Self concept is destiny..
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Oooohh I forgot, Orson Welles doing mentalism on tv....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z6Ctw-ZWG8
Self concept is destiny..
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
1. Bob Cassidy

2. John Riggs

3. Richard Osterlind
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Good thoughts Bob. I agree performing too much of a variety act would certainly dilute things. With the 'fake psychic' that should have meant advertising as just a psychic.

The market in the UK for this stuff is weddings etc. As a mentalist , I feel I'd never get found let alone booked if I just advertised as a mentalist or mind reader. Look at Looch, he does just mentalism but if you Google him he is described as a magician and mind reader and his website has tags for wedding magician etc.

I would imagine he does this to guide clients to his site. My thoughts are, once I'm there performing then I can do just the mentalism but to get booked I have no choice but to have magic mentioned on promo material.
There is no holy grail!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3331 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Bob Cassidy, grass roots and in the trenches style

Richard Osterlind, corporate lay back

Peter Turner, meaningful attachment with his predictions and routines

Docc Hilford, just a brilliant con man, flim flam and style that could walk in to any party uninvited in Monty Carlo and be the life of it
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1473 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
All-time favorite for me is Max Maven. Derren is undeniably great. Many of my favorite performers, though, are magicians.
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Dunninger (of course!)
Kreskin
Berglas
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
France, Paris
245 Posts

Profile of Dreda
- John Riggs
- Bob Cassidy
- Banachek

I like also mister Craig Browning Smile
"I know that I know nothing" - Socrate
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of entermagic
-Derren Brown
-Banacheck
-Bob Cassidy
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
276 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
Bob Cassidy
Banachek
Richard Osterlind
Docc Hilford
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
pf70ds
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of pf70ds
Docc Hilford Richard Osterlind
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Banachek
Osterlind
Derren Brown
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
1. Kreskin
2. Dave Hoy/Dr. Faustus
3. Glenn Falkenstein/Frances Willard
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite mentalists of all time (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL