The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Post Editing Issues (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
464 Posts

Profile of William Draven
I've noticed that some boards allow you to edit your posts, while others don't. I'm not sure why this feature isn't consistent through out the entire site, but may I recommend that for the sections devoted to product review this feature be enabled? It would make things a bit easier to add in information about a product that might surface after the initial review was posted without the need to bump your own thread.

Thanks!
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3022 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
William, unless of entirely wrong, all can be edited up until the point another member posts. Then it can no longer be edited.
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
464 Posts

Profile of William Draven
Huh, you know Rizzo I think you are right about that, but yet it still seems to be specific to certain forums. I would still encourage an edit option being extended to the post creator.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4982 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Posts in every forum can be edit up to 30 minutes after the post or until someone replies. The reply restriction is there for a simple reason. You may post something and a responder references your comment. If you changed your mind about what you said and edited it, the responders post now would not make sense. Remember that even though this is a written communication, it is like having a conversation. If you were talking to people face to face, you wouldn't be able to say what you said as the conversation progresses.
Where the magic begins
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
It should be pointed out that sometimes the moderators will change the wording of a member's post (sometimes for good reason, other times just because they may disagree with what the member has said) and THIS practice renders responders' posts nonsensical.
William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
464 Posts

Profile of William Draven
Ah... Okay. I think. Thank you.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4982 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 20:27, Randwill wrote:
It should be pointed out that sometimes the moderators will change the wording of a member's post (sometimes for good reason, other times just because they may disagree with what the member has said) and THIS practice renders responders' posts nonsensical.


Randwill, the only word changing should either be to correct spelling, replace profanity with a softer word or making the sentence grammatically correct. Moderators do not, or should not make any edits that change the meaning of the post. Under no circumstances is an edit made simply because the moderator disagrees with the members comment.
Where the magic begins
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 06:20, Dave Scribner wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 20:27, Randwill wrote:
It should be pointed out that sometimes the moderators will change the wording of a member's post (sometimes for good reason, other times just because they may disagree with what the member has said) and THIS practice renders responders' posts nonsensical.


Randwill, the only word changing should either to correct spelling, replace profanity with a softer word or making the sentence grammatically correct. Moderators do not, or should not make any edits that change the meaning of the post. Under no circumstances is an edit made simply because the moderator disagrees with the members comment.


Thanks Dave. I hope this new policy will be enforced across the board.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
If you have some examples, can you point them out? I'm sure Dave and staff can handle solid examples better than "somewhere out there" finger-pointing. Not saying you're wrong, but finding a few instances amongst all the posts on the Café is a bit daunting.

Ed
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 10:30, Ed_Millis wrote:
If you have some examples, can you point them out? I'm sure Dave and staff can handle solid examples better than "somewhere out there" finger-pointing. Not saying you're wrong, but finding a few instances amongst all the posts on the Café is a bit daunting.

Ed


In the past, in debates with a moderator in a now deleted section of the Magic Café (The Attic?), I saw words and phrases in my posts changed to the detriment of my side of the discussion. Even if that section of the Café was still here, it would be impossible to prove that a post had been altered.

The Café reserves the right to change and delete posts and topics for any reason with no explanation given. This is something members agree to when they join, so what you see written under a member's name may not be exactly what the member wrote. Hopefully, as Dave has said, any changes will now be done with care so as not to change the poster's intent, although even this is a slippery slope as my past experience here has taught me.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4982 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Randwill,
Quote:
The Café reserves the right to change and delete posts and topics for any reason with no explanation given. This is something members agree to when they join, so what you see written under a member's name may not be exactly what the member wrote.


Let's be clear about that statement. That is not written in our rules anywhere and is not a true statement. There are several statements that we can and will "remove" posts as we deem necessary but nowhere does it say we can change a post and the rules definitely don't say "what you see written under a member's name may not be exactly what the member wrote.

As for my comment being a new policy, it's been the policy since the inception of the Café 10 1/5 years ago.
Where the magic begins
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 21:59, Dave Scribner wrote:
Randwill,
Quote:
The Café reserves the right to change and delete posts and topics for any reason with no explanation given. This is something members agree to when they join, so what you see written under a member's name may not be exactly what the member wrote.


Let's be clear about that statement. That is not written in our rules anywhere and is not a true statement. There are several statements that we can and will "remove" posts as we deem necessary but nowhere does it say we can change a post and the rules definitely don't say "what you see written under a member's name may not be exactly what the member wrote.

As for my comment being a new policy, it's been the policy since the inception of the Café 10 1/5 years ago.


There may be no written policy that states that moderators can change the wording of a post, but it has happened, and to me, in the past. I hope diligence by ALL Magic Café staff insures that SOME moderators won't do this in the future unless it involves unacceptable language or poor grammar.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Post Editing Issues (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL