The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Toby Tyler Daze.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Quote:
On 2012-01-13 13:56, Rod Pringle wrote:
Jim Hand:

Great American trailer

http://pixenate.com/pixenate//cache/phot......39c2.jpg

This is from the late 80's and by now Allen and I were not getting along well. I had my own show and he was beginning to consider me competion...Not so much on under-canvas dates ( he played larger towns and I was high grass) but I did take several indoor phone sponsor away from him...NO I didn't "steal" them many were either Bartok or Hoxie dates that I had booked originally... As far as the paint on this trailer I have no idea who didit ...I seem to think I heard something about students from the Ringling Art School in Sarasota...considering the color combination,could be.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Thanks Jim For sharing these great bits of circus history!

ROD
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Quote:
On 2012-01-13 14:42, Rod Pringle wrote:
Jim Hand:

Well I must say you two sure turned out some beautiful work, your lettering is just GREAT! I agree with Jim Z, I don't think a show like this will ever be framed again!

ROD

I totally agree. I think Toby Tyler was the end of era. A HUGE big top,a large menegeragie tent,filled to overflowing with cages, a large herd of elephants,horses and more horses. A fantastic show with a large clown alley and Ward Hall sideshow on the midway...Truly a circus fan's dream.....I'm happy I was part of it.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Jim:

Yes, I too am very glad I could see this show, although the time I attended, they had lost their Big Top in a road accident and were Blue Skying it at Alma Michigan this was around 1984?? or so, so I never got to see the big top. I think they had the Marque set up , but that's all, you just walked in under the marquee, and set in a circle of bleachers. And prayed it didn't rain haha.

The animals by the way were fantastic, all groomed and well fed, a regular Noah's Ark. Even a blood sweating hippo. This was a real special show. Too bad its not around today.

ROD
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Dick Garden,TTC owner, took out another good-sized show in the late 90's called Sterling and Reid Bros., which I also painted. It was pretty much equal to Carson-Barnes ( 5-ring version ) but nowhere near TTC in size or content. Dick now operates two shows . Indoor unit is Picadilly Circus ...his under canvas show is called Circus Fusion..
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Folks:

Sorry all of my posted photos vanished?? I have no idea why? So much for my computer skills. I am a 40's person..give me a 10 column ledger and a pencil and I'm happy haha

ROD
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Hey,Rod, You're not alone. Online chat is ok but I much perfer jackpotting inperson. The "old ways" are NOT that bad.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Jim:

haha You are right, I'm 65 and got lost in cyber space these last few years. My son is a computer wiz, maybe he can work this picture thing out so I can send them to you folks on the Café. I have all kinds of photos, real early Franzen bros., Carson & Barnes, kelly Miller , and Famous Cole Circus (Herb Walters/Bob Couls ) in 1962.

I hope I can post these in the near future. I have lots of old programs and route cards too. I have old 8 mm footage of Clyde Beatty/Cole bros. in Holland Michigan in 1969, the year of their biggest tour ever.

Those were the good old days.

See you down the road

ROD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Toby Tyler Daze.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL