The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ESP Cards (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
Yes, correct, Bob. And the design also incorporates a nice on* w** that some folks don't know is present.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 12:05, Magicus wrote:
Yes, correct, Bob. And the design also incorporates a nice on* w** that some folks don't know is present.

That is also true with the original Rhine backs.
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
Yes. I always wondered what the story was on that as it seems to have been purposely incorporated. It always struck me as unusual that this particular back design was part of the official testing cards Rhine used. Do you know if the printing company recommended this from some other existing back design in their array of backs or perhaps Rhine randomly selected this from a series of options? I've not come across something that was more than rumor on how these came to be.
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
Make your own:

http://www.lybrary.com/esp-signs-p-73582.html

You get professionally designed ESP symbols:

Circle
Cross
Wave
Square
Star (in two sizes)

One star version is geometrically the same size as the other symbols. Due to its shape it looks a bit smaller than the other symbols. The second star design is 20% larger to better match the overal appearance of the other symbols.

The files are vector files (SVG format). This means you can blow them up as much as you want without loosing resolution - great for jumbo or giant cards. Each symbol is available in 10 color background combinations. They are:

black on white background
blue on white background
green on white background
red on white background
yellow on white background
blue on black background
green on black background
red on black background
yellow on black background
white on black background

But that is not all you get. There is a lot more on the back side. First, you get the back in four colors: black, blue, red, and white (inverse of the black design). Second, you get a version of the back that is a subtle o**-**y version of the regular back. Third, you get a back version for each design that is m****d so that you can know from the back which design the card is. This is easy to read once you know what it is, but hard to spot when you don't know what to look for. And fourth, you get a version of the back for each sign that combines the m*****g and the o**-**y m*****g.

With these designs you can create literally hundreds of combinations of face, back, m****d or not. Additionally to the SVG files you get a PDF that gives you an overview of the available designs, as well as explains the clever m*****g system.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
I agree about the Royal cards, actually. I think I've said as much in various other threads. I only wrote that they had magic-style backs because so many people on forums make that accusation. If I was marketing them I'd probably write, "Authentic-style backs" Smile

Also, although the Royal cards lack gaffs as standard, Jeff Pierce sells them with two gaffs and a box here.

I am quite sure that one of the guys who prints his own cards does gaffs and boxes for the Royal Magic decks but I can't seem to find the details right now.

T.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-12 12:55, Magicus wrote:
Yes. I always wondered what the story was on that as it seems to have been purposely incorporated. It always struck me as unusual that this particular back design was part of the official testing cards Rhine used. Do you know if the printing company recommended this from some other existing back design in their array of backs or perhaps Rhine randomly selected this from a series of options? I've not come across something that was more than rumor on how these came to be.

Not sure, but my guess is that it was just an overlooked design flaw.

I have heard that the original run of Zener cards had the designs literally stamped on them which resulted in a slight embossing that could be seen from the back of the cards if they were viewed in cross lighting.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

One more thing to note about Royal Magic ESP cards: If you have more than one deck compare the shades of blue. The colour control on the ones I have is so poor that you can spot which cards are from one deck and which belong to another. That could work to your advantage because normal people aren't going to notice such a small detail, but in good light the difference is pretty clear.

Always trying to look on the bright side Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Uh oh, I think the three of us are getting into Inner Thoughts type stuff. Can we take it down there?
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Yes, I agree Bob.

Getting back to non-secret stuff, the Beyond ESP and MK-MOD cards are printed on the same stock by the same company (Fournier), so they handle like playing cards even if they don't look like playing cards. The Royal and Vernet cards are printed on much thinner stock (I think the Vernet ones are the flimsiest cards I've ever handled).

The PL cards are completely different - much thicker and nothing like playing cards.

T.
Magicus
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Magicus
Yes, I think so.

Bob - Thanks for that info. I didn't know that.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12043 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 04:46, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
Actually, don't forget the Royal Magic ones, either. If Chris doesn't know the password to Paralabs, it seems that he is a beginner and might be better spending his money on the cheaper gear first, then upgrade to one of the premium* sets of ESP cards later.

* Beyond ESP; MK-MOD; Paralabs

I still carry 5 royals with me most times for my other job. They are nice and small taking up little room.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3936 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Here's another vote for Paralabs. It seems to me Rainier told me they have created some stage sized ESP cards as well. But I am getting pretty old and it's entirely possible I hallucinated the whole conversation.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-12 14:12, David Thiel wrote:
Here's another vote for Paralabs. It seems to me Rainier told me they have created some stage sized ESP cards as well. But I am getting pretty old and it's entirely possible I hallucinated the whole conversation.

David

No, you weren't hallucinating. They do make a larger set. I have them and like them a lot.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Thanks for all that info Ted! That helped a lot!

Lyndel
corsufle
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of corsufle
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 13:12, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
The PL cards are completely different - much thicker and nothing like playing cards.

The paralabs cards are like a precision scientific instrument. I had no idea that any item made of cardboard could be manufactured to such exacting standards Smile
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at HobbyhorseMusic.com
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I think a big pat on the back should go to Ted.

Rather than just pushing his own product, MOD decks, he has selflessly given info and access to all other available ESP cards.

Nice to see such gentlemanly behaviour and generosity of time and information.

Steve
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

You are all very welcome. I'm just interested in the things, I guess. I wouldn't have had my own set made if I had a casual interest. And I guarantee that it's not about the money - these things are cripplingly expensive to have done properly!
As Michael Murray and I discussed just over a year ago, it's good that there's so much choice.
T.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

I mentioned something about alternative card boxes. I now remember that they were available from: http://www.magicbycardmaker.com

Designed specifically for the Royal Magic cards (the boxes have the same back design on one side), these fit the MK-MOD cards as well as any other bridge-sized decks. That said, the link I had now fails and I can't locate the product on the site. Any news, Bernd?

And just to prove that, while being a gentleman, I'm not above some marketing Smile...

It's worth noting that while the Royal Cards seem cheaper than most (they are around £7-£8 in the UK, with P&P inc), you only get one deck of 25 cards. The MK-MOD package contains two decks (£15.32 in the UK, inc P&P), so there's no real difference in the price per card. Plus, with the MK-MOD kit you get gaffs and a box Smile

Cheers,
T.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Just today I discovered that Doctor Crow is a fan of the MK-MOD ESP testing cards. His endorsement appears in his most recent tome, The Resurrection of Doctor Crow (Bob Cassidy). This ebook, by the way, is very good.

You may think that my recommendation is biased, because DC recommends my MK-MOD ESP testing cards in one of his effects. However, this fact is simply evidence that the good Doctor has superior taste and vast quantities of valuable experience. Besides which, honestly-speaking, the lovely ESP routine included in The Resurrection looks fantastic, regardless of which cards are used.

By the way, DC is in good company. The MK-MOD cards are also owned by DB. I think we all know who I mean...*

T.

* But just in case not, I mean Derren Brown and not David Blaine. Although David might own them too. He ought to.
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Couldn't resist. Ordered it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ESP Cards (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL