The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind - The Natural (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 09:42, parmenion wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 09:28, magician 336 wrote:
I completely agree Bob, I consider showmanship and being natural on stage a neverending journey and art which I work on every moment of my life. People tend to always ask me "how are you able to do that" or "how do you have such a good stage presence" -Jake

My god, you're only 19 and already so good on stage!
When we think until last year you were only a close-up magician for friend!
When do you have a show to Broadway ?

Hey Parmenion,

There's no reason to ostracize someone for expressing their opinion.

And remember, every finger you point you point at someone, there's three pointing back at you - http://www.glocals.com/guides/biz/Christophe-Ambre/
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Thanks a lot magic maniac to put me on the right track, lol
You're not the first one on the Café to post this link, as you have my website you can call me by my first name...
I'm not ashame by what I do...
In the same time maybe you should read you link before posting, anyway I'm not surprise you're in my "connard" since awhile.
Geheime staat polizei recruit! I think you're the perfect candidat!
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Keyl wrote:
Quote:
Carrot Top on the other hand is full of energy and life, but to me at least, it couldn't be more boring.

Hey! Don't be hatin' on Carrot Top! The man spends a lot of money to bring those prop gags to you and yours.
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 08:13, mastermindreader wrote:

Richard Osterlind (and most of the rest of us) spent many years learning how to seem "natural" on stage.

That´s all! Over & Out!

PP
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I believe Bananchek explains how he became a mentalist on one of his dvd's. First he was a dull boy, always quiet and introverted, until he became a mentalist.
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Parmenion,

Are you reffering to your post where you blame some ex-girlfriend for the review ? How do you think that looks when people are looking at your services bud ? You would've been better off leaving it alone and trying to get someone post a good review, or is that too hard ?

BTW - For those who don't understand French, Parmenion called me a Mother******. Some guy huh ?
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
In my opinion, no one can say what amount of showmanship or casualness is suitable for one's performance. It all depends on the character. Who you are as a performer. There is no formula or ratio for how much drama etc. to include when performing. You must judge this yourself!
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1776 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Thank you for taking notice parmenion, actually I will be on Broadway next week and I have already sent some passes to your inbox Smile

-Jake
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Have you noticed about Parmenion? I have yet to see a post by the guy who tags himself Parmenion that wasn't a sarcastic slam or a put-down. He only jumps in to post various snarls.

I have yet to see a post by him that had any helpful or positive content. If anyone could reference even one to me, I'd change most of my opinion. While others contribute advice, experience, links, effects...he just slathers sarcasm. Has he contributed ANYTHING so far?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
karlito
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of karlito
Doesn't everyone put on an 'act' when they're performing?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12243 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-01-13 22:25, granterg wrote:
I am starting to think that being natural is showmanship.

granterg

Think again.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1699 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
For many great performers (in all fields, not just magic and mentalism), the appearance of naturalness is their best illusion and it is often one that has taken a great deal of preparation, practice and experience to perfect.

Phill
Check out the incredible Neural Miracle playing cards on Kickstarter:
-+: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phillsmith/incredible-magic-with-the-neural-miracle-playing-cards :+-
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12243 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
Would you advise a normally dull and boring person to go on stage and "just be himself?"

"Just be yourself" is only good advice if you have a naturally dynamic personality and already know how to project it effectively on stage. That's what showmanship and stagecraft are all about.

Richard Osterlind (and most of the rest of us) spent many years learning how to seem "natural" on stage.

Good thoughts,

Bob

You mean ... you're dull and boring Bob? Say it ain't so?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 10:01, Steven Keyl wrote:
Quote:
Would you advise a normally dull and boring person to go on stage and "just be himself?"

[snip]

Yes I would! Being "dull and boring" aren't performance traits. I think we're confusing performing style with effects and scripting. The effects we choose and the words we use to explain/describe what the audience is seeing can be dull and boring. But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about performing style. Serious, silly, heavy-handed, bombastic, contemplative, light-hearted, corny, self-righteous, egomaniacal, or some combination thereof is what defines a performing style.

Steven-

I think I either didn't communicate well or that you read something into what I wrote that wasn't what I meant. I agree with your analysis completely.

I was just responding to the notion of the OP that showmanship and "just being yourself" are the same thing. They're not.

Good thoughts,

Bob
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 16:48, phillsmiff wrote:
For many great performers (in all fields, not just magic and mentalism), the appearance of naturalness is their best illusion and it is often one that has taken a great deal of preparation, practice and experience to perfect.

Phill

Well said. Making it all look easy and natural is often the hard part.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2578 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 16:59, mastermindreader wrote:

Steven-

I think I either didn't communicate well or that you read something into what I wrote that wasn't what I meant. I agree with your analysis completely.

I was just responding to the notion of the OP that showmanship and "just being yourself" are the same thing. They're not.

Good thoughts,

Bob

My bad. I'm sure it was me who misunderstood what you were saying. On your actual point we are very much in agreement.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 00:40, TheOneandOnly Tensai wrote:
Didn't someone say something about how magicians are just actors playing the part of a real wizard? (I think it was James Randi)

Robert Houdin
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 15:10, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Have you noticed about Parmenion? I have yet to see a post by the guy who tags himself Parmenion that wasn't a sarcastic slam or a put-down. He only jumps in to post various snarls.

I have yet to see a post by him that had any helpful or positive content. If anyone could reference even one to me, I'd change most of my opinion. While others contribute advice, experience, links, effects...he just slathers sarcasm. Has he contributed ANYTHING so far?

Whoa ! Be careful Tom because you just might end up on Parmenions 'connard' list...yes folks, he carries a list.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind - The Natural (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL