The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BBC The Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2012-01-15 19:13, aukt wrote:
Sorry guys - no one cares what the amateurs on teeny tiny niche forums think. While you're all here whimpering bitterly, the acts are out there making their careers and fortunes.

I've got no problem with people saying that the show is not for them. But what happened to being supportive?

Some of the posts in this thread are hideously juvenile.


Missing the point badly methinks.

I rate all three magic acts highly having seen them outside of this show.

I think the problem for most on here is that the whole format of the show with zelebs,forfeit and phone-in, is a mess. Couple that with the fact that the guys aren't going to waste their best magic on this tat and you have a very poor advert for magic.

I'm a magician and I can't stand the idea of watching this for 90 mins. I pre-record and watch without the filler and get a nice 45-50 mins show instead.

Si in summary the magic acts themeselves have my full support because I know they are good. The show doesn't because I think its awful boring rubbish.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 08:08, Ray Chelt wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-15 19:13, aukt wrote:
Sorry guys - no one cares what the amateurs on teeny tiny niche forums think. While you're all here whimpering bitterly, the acts are out there making their careers and fortunes.

I've got no problem with people saying that the show is not for them. But what happened to being supportive?

Some of the posts in this thread are hideously juvenile.


Missing the point badly methinks.

I rate all three magic acts highly having seen them outside of this show.

I think the problem for most on here is that the whole format of the show with zelebs,forfeit and phone-in, is a mess. Couple that with the fact that the guys aren't going to waste their best magic on this tat and you have a very poor advert for magic.

I'm a magician and I can't stand the idea of watching this for 90 mins. I pre-record and watch without the filler and get a nice 45-50 mins show instead.

Si in summary the magic acts themeselves have my full support because I know they are good. The show doesn't because I think its awful boring rubbish.


Ray you could not have summed up this show better

Great Magicians but spoilt by the Z Celebs and The Whole Format, especially the “Death Defying Forfeit”

Who even lay people find a Joke after episode 1
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
Your unqualified opinions are beyond irrelevant.

It's in it's second series, it's longer, it's got a bigger budget, the ratings are up ( and going up every week - check the barb stats) and the format is selling around the world.

So everything that you are all saying may reflect your views accurately, but they're commercially vacuous.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1343 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
[quote]On 2012-01-16 12:21, aukt wrote:
Your unqualified opinions are beyond irrelevant.

It's in it's second series, it's longer, it's got a bigger budget, the ratings are up ( and going up every week - check the barb stats) and the format is selling around the world.
[quote]
Isn't your response just a comment on a teeny tiny niche forum? More importantly, how can an opinion on a subjective matter be irrelevant? Irrespective of viewer figures, I thought the show was an utter crock of sh*t! Take talented magicians and enhance it with z list celebs, not talented enough to succeed in their own area of expertise?......I don't think it's a great formula personally. Ditch the z listers and allow the magicians to do there thing. I know, I know, market research says people like these silly shows with celebs but I personally don't.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2012-01-15 19:13, aukt wrote:
...Some of the posts in this thread are hideously juvenile.


Oh... now I'm going to go off and sulk *sniff* (lol!!)

I think most of the opinions have made various points, some I agree with, some that I don't.
But, I find your choice of wording a touch juvenille, to be honest.

As you know a lot about the media, can you apply your critical analysis to this question(s): would the ratings be even better if the magicians had more of a creative input and / or if, as Martin suggested, if the production team had a better understanding of magic?

With respect to all

Charlie
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
I agree with some of the stuff said above I think there is a problem with magic shows in general in the last few years including Chris Angel etc. A lot of the effects that are presented just simply arent possible without stooges or some kind of fakery. The problem is lay people see this on tv and expect you be able to do something equally as impressive. Take for example the B&S car over the cliff stunt the reaction of the people witnessing it was clearly actors as they would have seen Craig make his escape and get in the helicopter.

I'm all for seeing magic on tv on a Saturday night again and can see why the Magicians is liked by the public but from a magicians point of view Penn and Teller will always be better. Problem with Penn and Teller from an audiences point of view is that they cant get hooked on the format I mean what do they care if a magician gets to go to Vegas. I do like that this time round on The Magicians they are showcasing magic talent from around the world
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Rabid
I thought the first season of this show was awful. I've missed every...single...episode so far, and I have to say it's annoying me greatly. Especially seeing as I have Sky+, which means I'm just too lazy to series record it for some reason. By the away...is Lenny Henry still hosting it, cos' I hope not. His bits were worse than the magic.

However, much as aukt is missing all your points guys...y'all are missing his.

Where's Dynamo when you need him?


Steph
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
All of your feedback and subjective, individual, artistry based commentaries. These are all fair game.

You can say that you don't like the magic, that you don't like the acts, that you don't like the format, you don't like the host, you don't like the show. I'm cool with all that. Fair game. Go for it.

But you can't say it's a bad show. You can't say it's bad magic, or it's bad for magic. You can't say that the show is bad, or the the format is flawed. If you think this you're wrong, and you are being proved wrong every saturday night as the barb figures climb, as the ratings rise, as the exposure for the acts continue, as the format continues to sell (two more options were taken since episode one went out) and as the talks on a third begin - as they did yesterday. If you think any of these things, you are evidently wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3077 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 16:28, aukt wrote:
All of your feedback and subjective, individual, artistry based commentaries. These are all fair game.

You can say that you don't like the magic, that you don't like the acts, that you don't like the format, you don't like the host, you don't like the show. I'm cool with all that. Fair game. Go for it.

But you can't say it's a bad show. You can't say it's bad magic, or it's bad for magic. You can't say that the show is bad, or the the format is flawed. If you think this you're wrong, and you are being proved wrong every saturday night as the barb figures climb, as the ratings rise, as the exposure for the acts continue, as the format continues to sell (two more options were taken since episode one went out) and as the talks on a third begin - as they did yesterday. If you think any of these things, you are evidently wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.
Are you stupid or something , or just a little slow ? We can say what we like ! If someone has an opinion then they are 100% right in their opinion no one can ever dispute that . It maybe flawed to your opinion but to them they are right everytime. Havent seen a great deal of this series but from what I have seen looks pony IMO. Also I have watched Latimer many times live and he is different gravy but on this he is poor, the stuff he did with the Hoff this week was bordering on embarrassing IMO of course.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
You can saw what you like nanaswan, that's subjective.

But you can't argue against the objective fact that the show is a hit and the audiences love it. That's an objective fact which serves to only underline how far your subjective opinion is from the reality.

You think it's rubbish. I'm cool with that. But it doesn't matter or mean anything because the show is a success.

So - only one of two things can be true here.

1. You are wrong.

2. The millions and millions of people tuning in every week are wrong.

maths, ay? they're fun.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Aukt, millions eat at McDonald's and they're considered a success. But do you really think it could even remotely be considered a good restaurant?
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 19:17, noble1 wrote:
Aukt, millions eat at McDonald's and they're considered a success. But do you really think it could even remotely be considered a good restaurant?


Also Big Brother has been sold around the world - Does not make it a good Show or maybe this is the sort of thing you like !!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3077 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 18:03, aukt wrote:
You can saw what you like nanaswan, that's subjective.

But you can't argue against the objective fact that the show is a hit and the audiences love it. That's an objective fact which serves to only underline how far your subjective opinion is from the reality.

You think it's rubbish. I'm cool with that. But it doesn't matter or mean anything because the show is a success.

So - only one of two things can be true here.

1. You are wrong.

2. The millions and millions of people tuning in every week are wrong.

maths, ay? they're fun.
As long as you like it that's the main thing .
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Sunny Orlando
884 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Does anyone know if R. Paul Wilson is still involved with this? I know he was one of the producers last season
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1513 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I watched one programme last year and thought it was utter ****
I've watched one this series and thought it was utter **** also!
The format is crap
The presenter is crap
The whole image of the programme (including those bloody doves and hat that flash up in between segments of the show)
Dragging up forgotten z list celebs to make a complete abortion of presenting an effect and trying to be an overnight magician??? WTF!!
Those extremely irritating and annoying 2 Scottish tossers should be shot next in line after Jedward.
Pete Firman is by far to good to be even linked to this boll0cks
I'm looking forwards to watching him live on stage when he tours later this year, doing what he does best.
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Rabid
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 19:17, noble1 wrote:
Aukt, millions eat at McDonald's and they're considered a success. But do you really think it could even remotely be considered a good restaurant?


I guess it is to the millions that eat there regularly...just sayin'.

Re: The Magicians. I'd be happier if the BBC simply re-ran every episode of The Paul Daniels Magic Show so I could watch some good magic and re-live my youth...but the chances of that are as slim as me waking up tomorrow morning to find out I'm a bag of crisps. Especially seeing as the show is a hit and millions of people love it.

Well...apart from you guys on here that is....ha.

Steph
nowyoucme
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of nowyoucme
Quote:
On 2012-01-17 06:08, Martin.Lester wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 19:17, noble1 wrote:
Aukt, millions eat at McDonald's and they're considered a success. But do you really think it could even remotely be considered a good restaurant?


Also Big Brother has been sold around the world - Does not make it a good Show or maybe this is the sort of thing you like !!


I like big brother. Just saying.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
This series does not come close to The Penn and Teller Fool them
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
My thoughts on it here: http://www.svengalimagic.com/2012/01/19/......s-bbc-1/

Yes. Unconvincing.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
... I liked the 'Beth' trick...
Smile



www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3



Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!



As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BBC The Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL