The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BBC The Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1442 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Felt quite bad for Barry & Stuart last night.
Think this goes to show the celeb thing can be a big hindrance to a well oiled magic routine.
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
I don't think David Haye had any bearing on the trick going wrong, it looked unrehearsed and the presentation was just horrible.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
This series really is terrible. As if last years was bad enough - this series gets worse. I don't know what it is, but the whole feel of it just isn't right. I don't know what I'm expecting really but this just is not it. Bring back Lenny Henry. I know people had their opinions about him and reasons why they disliked him, but I would prefer him over this new presenter any day. You really need to have a good presenter for the show (not that Lenny was) nut this guy really is bad, and doesn't help the show by any means.

This has got a prime time slot and I think to try and make the show a bit better - not for magicians but for the people at home watching, I think there needs to be some type of input on a producer/director level from someone who is in the magic business. Like I said I don't know what it is but it really is not that great to watch

They should also bring back the theme magic. Last series every week, there was a different theme and everyone had to do a trick relating. This would be a little better I think to slightly improve it - a bit Smile
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brąth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-01-22 09:27, reignofsound wrote:
Felt quite bad for Barry & Stuart last night.
Think this goes to show the celeb thing can be a big hindrance to a well oiled magic routine.

A certain magician has been slating Barry and Stuart on Facebook for poor execution of their tricks.

Maybe he forgets that he was responsible for exposing psychological magic as BS and raising awareness of gimmicked decks via the P&T show.

People in glass houses etc...
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Richard Bellars
View Profile
New user
Tunbridge Wells
24 Posts

Profile of Richard Bellars
Hi Jamie, that magician was me. I don't mind you using my name Smile

You'll find that I said that Barry and Stuart are very very good, but this format doesn't seem to be best for them.

The trick last night was a car crash and I said so.

Does it mean I think any less of the Scots? NO, does it mean I think I can do better, NO! just pointing out the obvious. I can't even imagine how hard live TV magic on that scale must be.... insane.

But please don't do the glass house thing on something that is quite different.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 12:21, aukt wrote:
Your unqualified opinions are beyond irrelevant.

It's in it's second series, it's longer, it's got a bigger budget, the ratings are up ( and going up every week - check the barb stats)

1st Show 6.2m
2nd show 4.3m

They are Going down by the week !
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2012-01-22 19:05, Richard Bellars wrote:

You'll find that I said that Barry and Stuart are very very good, but this format doesn't seem to be best for them.

Does it mean I think any less of the Scots? NO, does it mean I think I can do better, NO! just pointing out the obvious. I can't even imagine how hard live TV magic on that scale must be.... insane.

In Fairness to Richard the Penn & Teller shows, everyone had one chance
On the day, there was no re-takes it was filmed as if it was live TV
Considering the Huge amount of magic that took place in the short time
The shows were Fillmed,

only 1 Magician Messed up and he was not given a 2nd Chance,

So far every week , something has gone a miss Overall P&T was a class show

This series as other’s have stated is a mess
Not sure what Paul Wilson input into the series has been but this show

This show needs some Magic Consultant behind the camera
To help out with the pacing of the effects

The Thing that Bugs me more than anything was the constant cut
Away to show member of the audience in most time at the key
Part of the Effect

As previously posted this could have been a Great Series

If they would have followed the same format they did on the
Preview night

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=7315186
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
This programme is absolutely utter drivel. Respect to the magicians who try their hardest - but the format is woeful. Please accept my apologies on behalf of Britain for exposing the World to this pants! Really, if this is the best we can do - we ought to stop right now and never dare to complain about any other nation's tv efforts.

Embarrassing!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brąth
3642 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-22 19:05, Richard Bellars wrote:

Your exact quote was 'It made me turn the show off after 5 minutes... Again!! Can't do brainwave deck, now messed up from start to finish a standard illusion. And the loss of any dignity by having it all happen whilst in their pants.Wow!'

Nowhere does it say you thought thay were very very good.

I will defend the Scots to the death Smile
Richard Bellars
View Profile
New user
Tunbridge Wells
24 Posts

Jamie, I'm not getting into an argument on here, you have read just one comment of many that I made about the show, and have jumped to conclusions. I'm glad you are a loyal fan, but I don't think to the death will be necessary ha ha.

I do think they are very very good, and if you read all that I had to say you'd know that.

If you are willing to defend them then I suggest you look at some of the other posts on this thread alone and defend them before the shooting of Jedward accurs Smile

I realise that comment alone looks bad, but realise that it is a small part of my views. The part about turning the show off again wasn't aimed at them but at the show itself.

I genuinely think all the acts are better than the show.

I do hope you've had a word with Russ too as he has made his feelings very clear... hence forth and defend the Scots from people that are actually attacking them dude
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1442 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
The Brainwave deck on the first show was unfortunate as well :-(
SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
I started to watch it, and then turned over to Take Me Out in ITV, and a I tell you, that was far more interesting than watching this rubbish show. If this gets another series, I'm going to be so angry.

I think Take Me Out is utter drivel as well, but its more Entertaining than the Magicians.

I didn't see it on Saturday much, did B + S mess up a trick orrrr?
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
One of the key indicators for me about how bad this was was the long shots on Latimers levitation during that trick when effectively you could see beggar all from the long distance camera.

Also interesting was the external trick with the random spectator where the name she was thinking of was of a long lost friend and appeared on a building. Only to be completely ruined by them producing said friend and thereby to all logical thinkers removing any element of it being "mind-reading" and thereby wrecking the first part of the trick.

Where the hell is the quality control and somebody telling them that these things are not on.

Horribly put together show where all the extraneous fluff in between the magic means we get a very quickly executed trick with no time to build up the drama. The punch line on the tossed out desk was so quick that I'm convinced the audience hadn't even had time to absorbe and appreciate what had happened before they were onto the next piece of fluff.

Horrible Horrible Horrible
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 08:45, Richard Bellars wrote:
Jamie, I'm not getting into an argument on here, you have read just one comment of many that I made about the show, and have jumped to conclusions. I'm glad you are a loyal fan, but I don't think to the death will be necessary ha ha.

I do think they are very very good, and if you read all that I had to say you'd know that.

If you are willing to defend them then I suggest you look at some of the other posts on this thread alone and defend them before the shooting of Jedward accurs Smile

I realise that comment alone looks bad, but realise that it is a small part of my views. The part about turning the show off again wasn't aimed at them but at the show itself.

I genuinely think all the acts are better than the show.

I do hope you've had a word with Russ too as he has made his feelings very clear... hence forth and defend the Scots from people that are actually attacking them dude

Poor form to criticise other pros like that Richard
Richard Bellars
View Profile
New user
Tunbridge Wells
24 Posts

OK having read all of these comments, I will say here that I am very sorry for the comments I made, they were in jest and not meant to offend. Having been on the receiving end of plenty after my first Fool Us attempt, and taken the comments lightly I figured it was just harmless fun, error on my part.

So to Barry and Stuart, I'm sorry for any offence caused, these things happen and it's very unfortunate to have happened on live TV.

To all the people having a pop at me for saying them, I hope this is enough to appease you and we can all get on with our lives.

I'll stick by my view that the show's format (celebs etc) doesn't work for me and the acts are all better than the show.

Richard Bellars
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brąth
3642 Posts

You are indeed a gentleman sir.

On behalf of all the Scots. Cheers Smile
Richard Bellars
View Profile
New user
Tunbridge Wells
24 Posts

Thank you Jamie

And to Ray, the comment that said about me being happy about the heat being taken off my first attempt......... Couldn't be more true ha ha

Let's all get a beer sometime Smile
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 14:23, Ray Chelt wrote:
One of the key indicators for me about how bad this was was the long shots on Latimers levitation during that trick when effectively you could see beggar all from the long distance camera.

Also interesting was the external trick with the random spectator where the name she was thinking of was of a long lost friend and appeared on a building. Only to be completely ruined by them producing said friend and thereby to all logical thinkers removing any element of it being "mind-reading" and thereby wrecking the first part of the trick.

Where the hell is the quality control and somebody telling them that these things are not on.

Horribly put together show where all the extraneous fluff in between the magic means we get a very quickly executed trick with no time to build up the drama. The punch line on the tossed out desk was so quick that I'm convinced the audience hadn't even had time to absorbe and appreciate what had happened before they were onto the next piece of fluff.

Horrible Horrible Horrible

Could not Agree More exapmple was

The Tossed Out Deck is a classic in magic

How could we improve on this

I know what about putting the Deck in a Bucket then having a Long Pole to hand the bucket out
Then once the audience member has chosen a card put the Deck back into the Bucket and Repeat

3 more times

Now comes the best Part let’s get a Z list Celebrity (Mel Giedroyc) who no one has ever heard on to quickly name 2 cards I will follow up by the next 2 just as Quick

Message to Pete Firman : Next Time you want to “Improve “ Classic

Read up on how Wayne Dobson would do it and make it entertaining
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brąth
3642 Posts

Talking of Wayne Dobson check out his take on The Magicians....

http://www.waynedobson.co.uk/newsletter.htm

The P.S. is the funniest cruel joke ever!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Couple wee things. I feel it WAS David Hay's fault in the collapsed effect.
Yes the lifting by Barry and Stuart should have been timed/balanced better. But even the pros (of this effect) have nights like that. But they're never a problem when you're NOT on live TV and can take as much time as you like.
If you go back and watch it again one of them said "we have David Hay here, on of the strongest men in the world" and it was like a hypnotic shock-induction; Hay started battering the hell out of the appuratus. LOL

BUT, magician's work to live audiences and there's no problem. You have mis-direction,'outs' and all the time you wish. Coupled with the fact it can NOT be reverse engineered.
On LIVE TV you have the opposite. Not a lot of misdirection OR outs, the time is not a lot and it can easilt be reverse engineered. Especially when you get a cock of a producer putting the main cameras in the wrong places at the VERY wrong time.
I do know that 3 of the 4 magicians did NOT want to do a live show on Saturday prime time TV for the above reasons(absolutely correct in my book) but one agreed with the 12 year old producer to go ahead and the others had to go with him or potentially I suppose NOT get the gig.
It has all the constraints a working magician would want to shy away from.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BBC The Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL