The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Chanz from Mexico City » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Good post Joe-Joe..oops Amazing Joe-Joe.
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
I had a dog named Chance when I was a kid. Coincidence?
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On 2012-01-22 21:39, Mormo Zine wrote:
I had a dog named Chance when I was a kid. Coincidence?

But could he get out of a straitjacket?
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Sorry, I'm with Chance on this one... legally he may not have a leg to stand on but the names are close enough and they work in the same field. It'd be professional courtesy to have a rethink; methinks.

tom ( yes, plenty of other tom's out there... but I'd appreciate them all rethinking that too!)
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
So if you performed as just "Tom" ... then no other performer in the world would be able to call themselves "Tom"?

Be freaking serious - is this thread some kind of flipping joke? Get a last name like everyone else in the world.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Fair point JoeJoe... but let's be straight up... Chance feels that he has established his stage name for numerous years ( Tom is not a stage name... just a name) and has thus established a brand. Someone else has popped up, in the same market using a similar name... if both market themselves to similar clients e.g. festivals... then there is significant scope for confusion. Such confusion may work unfavorably to both Chance and Chanz and, since Chanz is at the beginning of his career he would be wise to avoid confusion of this nature; possibly as you suggested by adopting a surname. In all honesty if someone started marketing to festivals as Garzo or Cosmo then most people on this forum would, I imagine, be less than impressed.

tom hughes
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
Tom is not a stage name... just a name

So is "Chance" ... it is a "somewhat popular" name for boys ranked #842 according to the 1990 US Census, and is an even more popular surname. I even knew a Chance growing up.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Chance

Could it be that Chance is actually upset because "Chanz" is NOT a popular name and an equally uncommon surname!!! Hmmm... EGO CHECK!!! Like we don't have enough sand to kick in each other's faces already? If we want to start bashing people over their name, how about we start with the king - David Kotkin. At least Chanz is using a name I assume is his own!!!

Good grief ... the two names aren't even pronounced the same!!! This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever participated on! I'd like for Chance to get over it so we can all watch this media project of Chanz.

-JoeJoe
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
This name thing kind of reminds me of some other person taking the name of someone else...hmmm...let me think...Oh Yeah Harry Houdini took Robert Houdin's Last Name and Added An I To Make It HOUDIN-I or HOUDINI. So according to Steven Chance and now Tom Huges that is wrong and I think we should strip Houdini as being known as a great magician because of that thinking...NOT!

The above point is a bit of sarcasim and the point of it is to show that 2 great magicians use basically the same last name, and NO ONE COULD CONFUSE THE TWO for each other. Now could they?

George P
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
I have an observation.

I don't think there's any way that one would confuse either Chance or Chanz with each other. I mean, the differences are pretty obvious to me.

I would understand the argument a lot more if say Chanz actually marketed himself to a festival or event that Chance has or intends to directly market himself too.

And speaking on the topic of "word of mouth" marketing, it would be pretty hard to type in Chanz into the google and get Chance.

I don't know, but it seems kinda silly to me.I don't see any ill will or maliciousness coming from this young man, and why go and kick him in the junk when he's just getting started?
Chance, you come off like a bully.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
Uuugh.I didn't intend for that tosound so harsh...
I am just offering my opinion...
Seems like he's just a new guy and doesn't need to be thumped on. I believe this is what pushes many new folks away...
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
So according to you Bobby, I should only become worried about possible confusion after a festival tells me there's a problem, not before? You're building a brand, Bobby. With tapes and lectures and all. Tell me, how would it make you feel to find out that some new guy was calling himself Bob Maverick, or maybe Bobby Mav? How safe would your brand feel then? It's so easy to take shots from the cheap seats. Try it when you've got some skin in the game.

George P.: When Houdini took his name he was HONORING a dead master. He was not copying him. Houdin was DEAD. There was no room for confusion. Your example is meaningless. Also, Houdini spent quite a lot of time and money protecting his brand against frauds and immitators. He was very proactive in that regard in protecting his own brand, just like I'm being.

JoeJoe: Your entire posts are meaningless. I haven't said a single thing you've attributed to me. Show me where I said that this kid should stop performing, or stop performing escapes, etc. Those are your words, not mine.

As far as how the names are spelled, "Chanz" is nothing more than the "internetization" of Chance. As for pronounciation, I am called "Chawnce" in half the countries I visit, such as Canada, Germany, Spain, France and so on. They don't use the hard "A" sound like we American's do. So both of those arguments are meaningless as well.

Tom: Thanks for your support. You're not alone -- I've gotten quite a few supportive PM's -- but you definitely get my respect for stepping up publicly.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I can see where a guy with 17 years into building a name for himself in a particular field might be upset if if another performer was to come into the same field using a very similar name. I believe that this conversation should be with the 2 parties that are truly involved. I don't think there needs to be a “chance” camp wake up or a “ CHANZ” Camp. I have met Roger a.k.a. CHANZ. he seemed to me to be a very humble and understanding person and a person that would never intentionally steal from or defame anyone.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
....CHANZ seemed to me to be a very humble and understanding person and a person that would never intentionally steal from or defame anyone.

I appreciate your efforts at peacemaking. You seem sincere, and you seem to want to help, unlike most everyone else who has posted that just wants to stir the pot because it's not their career being affected (if they even have one to defend).

As for "attempting to steal or defame", I have already stated that I understood that this all happened by accident. The anger you see being expressed in my posts is not anger directed at this guy Roger, but anger directed at the so-called professionals that should know better than to attack me for protecting what I have built over the last 20 years. Jimmy, Bobby, all the rest, they all have brands of their own which they would strongly defend if need be. And they would be right to do so. And before yesterday I would have helped them. Starting today, they can pretty much bite me.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 09:43, Chance wrote:
JoeJoe: Your entire posts are meaningless. I haven't said a single thing you've attributed to me. Show me where I said that this kid should stop performing, or stop performing escapes, etc. Those are your words, not mine.

Well what do you want him to do? Change his ******* name? Be serious ... your making a fool out of yourself.

It is your job to make sure you stand out from all the other performers ... nobody else's. And if you didn't attach a last name to yourself then that's your fault not his!!! He hasn't done anything to copy you ... he's just trying to be himself, he wants to be Chanz from Mexico City and nobody should be kicking sand in his face for that!

-JoeJoe
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Steven, I knew that Houdin was dead and that Houdini was honoring him. Like I said it was scarcasim. The point I was making is that no one thought he was wrong for taking another magician's last name whether or not the magician in question was dead. Your worried about a spelling of a name. To me that seems petty. Now if this guy was performing the exact same act or promoting himself in the exact same maner as you then yeah you have a right to complain.

However, all this over a spelling of a name??

Not attacking you just trying to understand how someone can confuse the two of you.

George P
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
First I am AGAINST coping a name to promote yourself. The obvious the names are different spelled different pronounced different.

Second I am against trading on someone else marketing and promotion. So lets explore this further I Googled the following to see if Chanz was trying to take advantage of yours years of marketing and promotion. So I goggled the following.

Chance The Escapist I found Steven Chance no finding under just Chance. Here is link http://www.freewebs.com/magicchance

Chanz Escape artist: nothing

Chanz magician San Diego, California Birthday Party Magician and Balloon Artist ''Chanz'' Here is link http://chanzentertainment.com

So Chance you should have no beef about him taking advantage of you marketing and promotion.

Chance you beef should be with all these years of performing and travel the only thing google pops up is your free website.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-01-23 12:23, fireperformer911 wrote:
First I am AGAINST coping a name to promote yourself. The obvious the names are different spelled different pronounced different.

I don't think anyone here is in favor of copying someone else's name or promotional material ... I am only against Chance kicking sand in other people's faces because they have the same name. He needs to get over it. It's not right to raise yourself up by knocking other people down.

His clever word game doesn't fool me - he may not have "asked" Chanz to change his name, but he certainly insinuated that he should. Just like he insinuated to Ms. Morgan that she shouldn't be calling herself an "escapist".

He is in the wrong and shouldn't be trying to tear this guy down over his name - accusing someone of being a copy cat is indeed insulting! I think the previous post on google's take on the matter is more than enough proof to satisfy Chance, and I am again hoping he'll man up and get over it.

-JoeJoe
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
my mindless rambling's now total
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Looks like you've got another problem here Chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escapist_%28comics%29

"The Escapist is a metafictional character, a comic book hero in the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, written by Michael Chabon, created as an homage to the heroes of the period known to fans and historians as the Golden Age of Comic Books. The character's abilities as an escape artist are inspired by the early illusionist career of comic book artist Jim Steranko."

This cheeky wanabee is not only an escape artist but he calls himself "the Escapist" confusion may arise, it should be stopped!
There also appears to be a dancer called Steve la Chance he has a video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsIQj3WWe5M.
I hope no one books you thinking you are him, that would be embarassing.
this Steve Chance http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Chance/109466379093673 is spreding the good word in Indiana.
and finally http://petsinmotion.net/who-we-are/steve-chance/ will train your dog for you.
Not to mention the financial consultants and solicitors also called Steve Chance.
you may be all of the above or none of the above but I found all of them before I found you through Google, not once did I come across another busker using any variation of your name, If I was trying to book you for a festival I would have to be an intelectually challenged vegetable to get anyone other than you.
You have apparently been doing this for 20 years, you are not a child, act like a grown up and get over it.
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
This thread has made me think about restarting my magic career. I wonder if the name "Second Chance" is taken?

:)
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
By now JoeJoe has written more about this than I have. I stated yesterday that I was done with this. The question is not why do I keep commenting. The real question is why do you guys keep coming in here and attacking me over something which has absolutely no bearing on YOUR life or career.

The fact remains that a busker with an escape show is using a moniker identical to mine, and it was given to him by someone that knows my act. Roger is innocent of any wrongdoing for taking the name. But I am becoming sceptical of the people that gave it to him and who are telling him to keep it even though it is likely to cause us both a lot of confusion later on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Chanz from Mexico City » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL