The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Day One" - Simplified "day for any date" (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
Scott, thank you very much for mention my book in the Magic Café.
Your Day One is a great book and the best (!) plot for the doomsday algorithm.
The book is very carefully and clear written. Your plot is suitable for an "average man" without months of training.
I warmly recommend this book!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Bought it!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Thanks, Hans-Christian and Nicolino!

If anybody has any further questions or comments, post them here and I'll respond!
mag1cman
View Profile
Regular user
Has contributed a meagre
142 Posts

Profile of mag1cman
Hi

I've bought this and overall I am really happy with it. Some of the references are a little American for a stalwart Brit like me BUT for $9.99 I was buying the method NOT the fine detail, so I have simply modified some of the content offered to suit my own preferences and it is now starting to flow.

Two days ago I had no idea how to perform or deliver this. I have probably spent a maximum of an hour on it (not including the hour or so I spent modifying content to my peculiar Brit preferences) and am already at 80-90% accuracy within 20-25 seconds, so my goal is an hour a day for a month and a 100% accuracy within 5 seconds... Wish me luck!

Respect to all
Steve
*** Magic shouldn't be the only thing in your life BUT everything in your life should be magic! ***
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Thanks, Steve!

Steve does bring up a good point. If, for any reason, you'd prefer to find other associations than the one I teach, here's a simple and effective way to do it:

1) Go to Wikipedia's Category:Integers page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Integers

2) Find the particular number you want to change, and click on that to go there.
For example, if you're looking for a new association for 19, then you'd go to the "19 (number)" page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_(number)

3) Read through, and see what associations strike you as interesting, memorable, and usable.
Continuing with the 19 example, maybe you're a car enthusiast on the side, and decide to use the Renault 19.
Sports fan? Maybe Joe Montana in a Kansas City Chiefs uniform or Johnny Unitas in a Colts uniform.
Book fan? Stephen King's Dark Tower series might be your thing.

This way, the exact connections are more meaningful to you, and will probably come to mind quicker.

This is also a handy tip if you later decide you want to develop the mnemonics all the way up to 99.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
I love your method Scott Smile It's so ingenious and clever. So direct and powerful.
I'd like to find a perpetual calendar (not an app, something to put on stage and visible by everyone), that the spectator can use to check if the day really corresponds to the asked date. Do you know a beautiful object that could allow to do that?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Dorian, check out Al Stanger's "One Sheet Perpetual Calendar" (can be found on his site) - it's a thing of simple beauty!
I'm currently designing one as acrylic sign to hang over my desktop....
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 13:03, doriancaudal wrote:
I love your method Scott Smile It's so ingenious and clever. So direct and powerful.
I'd like to find a perpetual calendar (not an app, something to put on stage and visible by everyone), that the spectator can use to check if the day really corresponds to the asked date. Do you know a beautiful object that could allow to do that?

First, look in the webapps folder in "Links.html"...it will have some links to perpetual calendars under the "Calendars (Reference)" section.

I mentioned Hans-Christian Solka's perpetual calendar booklet above, which not only works, but adds an extra theatrical moment.

Here are some others from around the web:
Text version
My free PDF perpetual calendar (400 or 8400 years, depending on how far you take your presentation)
A classic chart (Scroll down for instructions on use)
Another classic chart
10,000 year perpetual calendar
Video: Mario V. Farina's Calendar Chart (Wish I could find the book, but you might be able to replicate the chart with careful viewing of the video.)

Wikipedia has a whole section of them, too:
From 1582-2799
Wikitable calendar

The complexity of some of these charts can actually be an advantage. When properly used, it suggests you're taking all these factors into account in your head!
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
The most beautiful perpetual calendar ever is Al Stangers "Hopscotch" (see Encyclopedia of Weekday Calculation, pp.20-21).
mag1cman
View Profile
Regular user
Has contributed a meagre
142 Posts

Profile of mag1cman
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 13:21, Nicolino wrote:
Dorian, check out Al Stanger's "One Sheet Perpetual Calendar" (can be found on his site) - it's a thing of simple beauty!
I'm currently designing one as acrylic sign to hang over my desktop....

I must be stupid if you mean this one... http://www.cs.umsl.edu/~astanger/StangerCalendar.pdf

Can you give me an example of how you would transpose the date 25 July 1976 to have it provide a result that fits when divided by 5.6 as suggested?

Respect to all
Steve
*** Magic shouldn't be the only thing in your life BUT everything in your life should be magic! ***
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Scott, is there a windows phone app to find all the quizzes (because I think it only works on iPhone)? Indeed, I tried to quizz me with my WP, but it does not work Smile (only on the PC).
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Steve:

I tried it out on several dates, it did not work for me either (perpetual thing, not Scott's work).

Tony
mag1cman
View Profile
Regular user
Has contributed a meagre
142 Posts

Profile of mag1cman
Hi Tony

Maybe one of the maths geniuses (is that right?) on here will give us the low-down.

On Scotts method I agree... BRILLIANT, I am now 3 days in at an hour a day and I am averaging around 10 seconds now. I'm not using any of the suggested short-cuts yet and have kept to 1900 to 2100 for now, when I get this in 5 seconds I will expand the range and look at the shortcuts.

Once again a superb method Scott.

Respect to all
Steve
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 10:08, doriancaudal wrote:
Scott, is there a windows phone app to find all the quizzes (because I think it only works on iPhone)? Indeed, I tried to quizz me with my WP, but it does not work Smile (only on the PC).

The quizzes are designed to run in any web browser that supports HTML5 and CSS3 (mobile, desktop, OR laptop).

It's designed using jQuery Mobile, and according to the documentation, should work fine on Windows Phone 7-7.5. It was tested on HTC Surround (7.0) HTC Trophy (7.5), and LG-E900 (7.5).

What happens when you try and run it?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 10:50, mag1cman wrote:
Hi Tony

Maybe one of the maths geniuses (is that right?) on here will give us the low-down.

On Scotts method I agree... BRILLIANT, I am now 3 days in at an hour a day and I am averaging around 10 seconds now. I'm not using any of the suggested short-cuts yet and have kept to 1900 to 2100 for now, when I get this in 5 seconds I will expand the range and look at the shortcuts.

Once again a superb method Scott.

Respect to all
Steve

Thanks, Steve! It's great to hear how quickly you're progressing!
mag1cman
View Profile
Regular user
Has contributed a meagre
142 Posts

Profile of mag1cman
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 10:09, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Steve:

I tried it out on several dates, it did not work for me either (perpetual thing, not Scott's work).

Tony

Hi again Tony

I contacted Mr Stanger directly and he gave me an answer which once revealed was blindingly obvious, in a nutshell it was this...

"When you do the division you will have two digits immediately to the right of the decimal point (let's call this your 'change'). Imagine the days are a shopping list and every day has a price (shown in the box). What is the most expensive day that your 'change' can buy? That is the day for the calculation"

Simple and elegant once you "get it" Smile

Respect to all
Steve
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Hans-Christian was referring to this:
http://www.cs.umsl.edu/~astanger/DayOfWeek.pdf
You can find instructions in Hans-Christian's definitive "Encyclopedia of Weekday Calculation."
No calculator required. It's pure "look-up." AND it easily handles ANY date, Julian OR Gregorian.

Al Stanger
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 13:42, Scott Cram wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-27 10:08, doriancaudal wrote:

The quizzes are designed to run in any web browser that supports HTML5 and CSS3 (mobile, desktop, OR laptop).

It's designed using jQuery Mobile, and according to the documentation, should work fine on Windows Phone 7-7.5. It was tested on HTC Surround (7.0) HTC Trophy (7.5), and LG-E900 (7.5).

What happens when you try and run it?

I've got an HTC Mozart, the quizz page loads, but the active links on it are not working Smile
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I had to do a little research, but I've found the problem.

Windows Phone 7's built-in browser doesn't yet support CSS3 (when the links are clicked, there's a simple CSS3 transition to the page). It's still based on the IE7 CSS rendering engine.

I've updated the program to eliminate the CSS3 transitions when support is not available, and I've already sent the updated version to Chris at Lybrary.com. As soon as he posts the update, you should get an e-mail that it's available.

If anyone finds any other problems with the apps (or the videos or PDFs, for that matter), please let me know here!

From what I understand, the built-in WP7 browser will support CSS3 before the end of the year, so when that does happen the transitions should be viewable on your Windows Phone.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2012-01-28 14:50, Scott Cram wrote:
I had to do a little research, but I've found the problem.

Windows Phone 7's built-in browser doesn't yet support CSS3 (when the links are clicked, there's a simple CSS3 transition to the page). It's still based on the IE7 CSS rendering engine.

I've updated the program to eliminate the CSS3 transitions when support is not available, and I've already sent the updated version to Chris at Lybrary.com. As soon as he posts the update, you should get an e-mail that it's available.

If anyone finds any other problems with the apps (or the videos or PDFs, for that matter), please let me know here!

From what I understand, the built-in WP7 browser will support CSS3 before the end of the year, so when that does happen the transitions should be viewable on your Windows Phone.

Thanks Scott! I am waiting for Chris to email me the new version Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Day One" - Simplified "day for any date" (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL