The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stopping smoking as entertainment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
My parents went to see a stage hypnotist back in the 1960's. Apparently part of his act was to take a smoker on to stage and "cure him". This was purely using techniques that we would these days class as hypnotherapy, however back in the less PC days of the 60's this was part of an evening's entertainment. Since hearing this story I have had a little niggle in my brain telling me there may be some mileage in this idea if scripted and presented properly. Would love to hear your thoughts??

Incidently, on the same evening a friend of my parents was taken onto stage as a volunteer. He had an abreaction and apparently turned flourescent green before passing out. According to my parents the hypnotist was most afeared. However it ended well enough, and the friend returned to health after an hour or so! Smile
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
It's strange, Paul -a person I know (in her fifties) refuses abruptly to witness even the most innocent thing I do -she literally went into another room when one day I did a routine with the Zener cards to a common friend- on the grounds that she was traumatized by an event very similar to the one you just described -family friend, green, fainted, ohmygod, etc.

What the heck did they do, those 1960's hypnotists? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2594 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
What I don't understand is how 'what happened in the 60's' could be any worse, or better, than what happens now? Simply because you can say what you want and use whatever language you like, but some people just don't get along with this stuff. Apart from being slightly more careful in the selection process, what else can you do?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Paul, I saw it done in the late seventies. Paul Goldin - an appalling therapeutic hypnotist but a genius on the stage - used to promise to cure people of phobias, help them stop smoking, improve their memories, and lose weight, if they volunteered for the stage show. I considered that, even as a young teen, to be sly and nasty.

However I think the idea is a great one.

At two recent shows, both in country pubs with middle-aged audiences, I was asked by volunteers if I could help them quit smoking. It is not a thing I am an expert on, but like most of us I have read up on NLP Swish Patterns, etc, so I included the appropriate suggestions as a piece near the end. I think it fascinated the audience (I invited any members of the audience interested to close their eyes and go along with the visualisations). It might have helped some, I don't know. But I think it was a positive addition to the evening.

At the moment I am preparing a new show for touring. The first half will be Q&A, the second hypnosis. Because of the first half, I am aiming at a different audience than the drunken students. And I am seriously considering a phobia cure or smoking cessation as part of the second half. I think it is a very good idea.
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 13:58, bevbevvybev wrote:
What I don't understand is how 'what happened in the 60's' could be any worse, or better, than what happens now? Simply because you can say what you want and use whatever language you like, but some people just don't get along with this stuff. Apart from being slightly more careful in the selection process, what else can you do?

Bev, I'm surprised by your tone -or simply there is a mutual misunderstanding. Maybe this reference can help?
From the Collins English Dictionary:

Irony (aIrənI)
Definitions
noun
1) the humorous or mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean
2) an instance of this, used to draw attention to some incongruity or irrationality
3) incongruity between what is expected to be and what actually is, or a situation or result showing such incongruity.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2594 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
?
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
OH, MY! talk about misunderstanding...
Bev, your

Quote:
On 2012-01-16 18:32, bevbevvybev wrote:
?

was a well deserved one. I can only invoke the flu and refer to the clemency of the Court. When I first read

Quote:
On 2012-01-16 13:58, bevbevvybev wrote:

I understood that you were stigmatizing the ironic tone of both mine and Paul's posts. And moreover, insisting in my dumbness, I misinterpreted the last sentence as if you were inviting us in being more careful in not selecting only examples of bad professional behaviour... OH, MY! Sorry, man.

Better for me to go to bed, bros... Smile Smile
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2594 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I have no idea what is going on. Carry on! Smile
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Well...check out Stop Smoking Mentalism for a wonderful routine...

Dr Todd
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
I think it's a great idea. There are plenty of people who struggle to give up smoking so I'd bet you'd get a ton of people interested in taking up the offer. For the audience, I think it'd be fascinating to watch how a 40 a day smoker is cured of the habit. Give it a go, I say Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3449 Posts

Profile of Looch
Uri Gellar does it as part of his stage show / evening with...

I saw it in Mansfield, was quite matter of fact with it all...
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
Doesn't Anthony Robbins do this in his events? If you pull up a victom mentality smoker the past isues and current reasons of why they numb themself with tobacco may rise, so selecting a participant requires skill of which you have I am sure.
I remember seeing a Richard Bandler youtube clip of him regressing people to access a childlike state to then create art and was done in front of a group and very educational AND entertaining.

This is an artform I call Transformational Entertainment and something I am personally doing and found to be unique and in demand. I use it to create situations where we learn about our self, each other and in the process learn about each other in an entertaining way. Their perception changes and therefore this is MY definition of Transformation.

So I am with you on having a person experience change in an entertaining way...and the participant HAS to be ready for it. You also put yourself out there for if it LASTS. Yet, you are covered if it doesn't as it was somthing entertaining to participate in. I am not a counselor or therapist so I cant use those labels in my premise. I personally have Life Experience and only share what I have learned and used for me and those wishing to do the same or something like it. Most of the time I use these concepts to open doors and have the client come to their own realizations in an entertaining way.

Scott M
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I think the thing to remember is that this is primarily a SHOW, and not therapeutic. Sure, you can wipe out a desire to smoke or do a fast phobia fix. Because it is a show, however, it doesn't matter if it lasts. The goal is to be entertaining, not fix a complaint. Most of the people won't ever meet the person "cured" again so whether it lasts is irrelevant. If you are ethical and trained (not simply an IROB who thinks I Read One Book and now I'm an expert!) you might quietly tell the person that for permanent change they should see a professional hypnotherapist. If you're staying in the area you might even offer that person permanent changework for a reduced fee or even for free, writing it off as publicity.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1119 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Haim Goldenberg has a fantastic quit smoking routine on Between 2 Minds set, can't recall which disc specifically.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1555 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Interesting idea. I can stop a cigarette craving in about 30 seconds without hypnosis and I could well include it as part of a mind power routine. It wouldn't make the specatator a non-smoker, though and I certainly wouldn't claim any long-term benefits.

I think I'd be more likely to use something a bit less important, like a chocolate craving.

Barry
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'm with dmkraig and Barry. very easy to do on stage and, although it CAN last forever, it's for entertainment purposes only and will suffice long enough till the applause dies down.
Barry is also correct in that no trance is necessary, however many believe that the induction is all part of the jolurney Smile
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Could you squeeze out a living and dead test using one real cigarette and 4 chocolate ones?
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:06, IAIN wrote:
Could you squeeze out a living and dead test using one real cigarette and 4 chocolate ones?

I do a more entertaining one with four roll-your-own cigarettes and one joint.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:30, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:06, IAIN wrote:

I do a more entertaining one with four roll-your-own cigarettes and one joint.

"and so you've got the...hah...you've got the..hah ha ha what was I saying? where'd all these cigarettes come from?"
I've asked to be banned
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1583 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
[quote]On 2012-01-17 22:56, Al Straker wrote:
Haim Goldenberg has a fantastic quit smoking routine on Between 2 Minds set, can't recall which disc specifically.

Yes, I recall that one. Very sneaky, but good.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stopping smoking as entertainment (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL