The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic Scotch and Soda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I only have experience with the traditional press fit S&S. Are the magnetic ones well fit and deceptive? Could you let the participant casually examine them?

Also, is there a preferred brand that is well made and a brand to avoid?
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
My magnetic scotch and soda is from the early 70's and is very deceptive. It can be examined by the spec. As to brands to be avoided I have no opinion.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
I would also like to know what magnetic S&S is worth buying these days.

I had one from Precision Magic from years ago and loved it, but I damaged it.

Nick
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have one from tango I bought from joe mogar it looks and works great.
todd
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I think the best S&S (magnetic) made today is from Auk Van Dokkum in the Netherlands. I have used one for sometime and it really plays well (I don't do the usual S&S routine with this gaff,) and the coins are never suspected. It's expensive, but the best for real world use, as far as I'm concerned, and I've had most of them.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have his ike shell set. a very nice set.great fit and coverage.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I have several Tango Magnetic S&S's and they work fine. A little bit sharp on the edges of the insert, but you can work around it. If you know what to look for you can push on the coin with your thumb and finger and it will move a bit, but most lay people will not notice.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
If you purchase Johnson's Magnetic Silver/Copper Coin Set, you will receive a magnetic Scotch and Soda as part of the set. I have read other posts regarding this, and wanted to chime in to let those that care, know....

Steve
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
I forgot to mention that an English Penny replaces the Centavo if you purchase the Johnson's Magnetic Silver/Copper Coin Set....
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
That was one of the frist things I ever got over 35 years ago! Smile I have a repete Copper silver routine in my 2 th. set of Lecture notes useing it ! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Bob Magic
View Profile
New user
San Diego, California
90 Posts

Profile of Bob Magic
I've been around for awhile too. I used the same classic Johnson S&S for over thirty years. Eventually it wore out and would no longer lock. As a replacement I purchased the magnetic variety from Joe Mogar. I could not be more pleased. The set is even better than the classic version in that if you have the spec hold his hand out palm down you can press the set-up against his palm, the coin seats, he closes his hand and it is all over but the services...

-Bob
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

I used A Non-locking S&S Along with a Sun& Moon coin In an International Tranlocition Some time back! It's The 3 th. S&S book! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
OK could someone PM me about magnetic S&S, I have always used a locking one with a bang ring for a reset. How does the magnetic reset? Is it better suited for walk around?
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
If you are new to Magic check out my article
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462185&forum=41
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

You can Hold it by the edge And toss down, or use a 2 TH. small Magnetic To take it out!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
Quote:
On 2012-03-31 21:41, Steve Landavazo wrote:
If you purchase Johnson's Magnetic Silver/Copper Coin Set, you will receive a magnetic Scotch and Soda as part of the set. I have read other posts regarding this, and wanted to chime in to let those that care, know....

Steve

I have this. I can and have used it in a scotch and soda routine, but for that purpose I prefer my Kueppers locking scotch and soda set as the locking gaff coin feels a bit more solid to me than the Johnson mag coin. Just my opinion, based on my experience with the sets I have.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Magnetic is the way to go. If one uses his or her mechanical locking S&S a lot, the laws of physics cannot be ignored.

it will wear over time. anytime friction is required as a mechanical locking mechanism, a certain number of cycles will effect the reliability of the lock. This is true for

connectors as well (like earphone jacks).

If one does not use the S&S everyday, then chances are that the wear cycle limits will not be reached. Then no worries.
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Why would anyone want to use the old bang ring technology? It's so passe. You can't use it strolling or hopping. Even if it didn't wear out where and when are you going to be banging it out? I avoid it like the plague.

Magnetic is King.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Only if the coin is to be passed out to a spectator.
then it would need to be the locking type.or if the
magic happens in the spectators hands.
todd
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
It's all about audience management.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
That's the beauty of it. So that the magic happens in the participants hand. If not, then why bother with having a locking or magnetic?
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic Scotch and Soda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL