The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Psuedo-memory demonstrations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ryan Bliss
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Ryan Bliss
Does anyone perform effects centered around "memorizing" a shuffled deck on the spot. I know Harry Loraine has a few effects like this, so does Joel givens, as does Garrett Thomas, but does anyone else dabble in this interesting field?
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
666 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Yeah, definitely. Really shocks spectators if presented right. There ia a great routine in Triangle by Patrick Redford.
MaXiMoN
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
125 Posts

Profile of MaXiMoN
Yes!! mr lorayne is already mentionned so
you should look into simon aronson's work
there is good routines from luke jermay you should consider
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
My absolute favorite is Terry Lagerould's "Pseudometry."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Great choice, Justin, it is such a strong effect. I remember reading it for the first time- my dropped.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2405 Posts

Profile of ddyment
This is Bob Cassidy's signature effect; he describes it in one of his books. And Barrie Richardson has an excellent version in print as well.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8557 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
For those who care - Terry's Pseudometry is in the December, 1979 issue of APOCALYPSE. That's the original. I've seen some of the "take-offs" (not all, obviously). Considering those I've seen - stick with the original. Great idea. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
There is a version in Rich Bloch's lecture notes "These are a Few of My Favorite Things" These notes came out in the mid 80's but I know I was using the basic method much earlier than that. I don't remember where I learned it. If the method is the same as Terry Lagerould's Pseudometry then that is probably where I learned it.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Originally based on a Steve Forte item (which may have been based on something previously, I don't know) Sal Piacente's "Memory Opener" is one of the strongest card effects I've seen performed anywhere.

People use phrases like "it killed" when describing tricks all the time on the Café, such that one wonders if everything ever released "kills"..........BUT, this trick KILLS.
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 14:12, silverking wrote:
Originally based on a Steve Forte item (which may have been based on something previously, I don't know) Sal Piacente's "Memory Opener" is one of the strongest card effects I've seen performed anywhere.

People use phrases like "it killed" when describing tricks all the time on the Café, such that one wonders if everything ever released "kills"..........BUT, this trick KILLS.


Indeed. That trick would fool even most magicians not familiar with the principle.

I don't know who came up with the thing first, but Max Maven, aka Phil Goldstein has a version called The mockingbird. Here is a video of that version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxFUhFUZb28

I am not quite sure who came up with the principle, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was Alex Elmsley.
McSweeney
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of McSweeney
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 15:37, 1tepa1 wrote:
I am not quite sure who came up with the principle, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was Alex Elmsley.


Yeah, I think it was Elmsley who discovered the Gilbreath Principle.
Jeff Hinchliffe
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, ON Canada
280 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hinchliffe
Quote:
Yeah, I think it was Elmsley who discovered the Gilbreath Principle.


Thanks, this gave me a chuckle. It's been a rough day.
Pick a card, any card...
McSweeney
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of McSweeney
Happy to be of service.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
666 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
I remember performing Pseud-O-Mem as a brief memory effect in one of the routines I had set up. I have forgotten most of it, although I do remember it using a key card in a unique way. I guess I have to take out my Best of Friends set and find it (Pretty sure it is in Volume 1).

Anyone know the difference between this one and the original one that appeared in Apocalypse?
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 15:50, McSweeney wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 15:37, 1tepa1 wrote:
I am not quite sure who came up with the principle, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was Alex Elmsley.


Yeah, I think it was Elmsley who discovered the Gilbreath Principle.


Coincidentally, it was Gilbreath who invented the Elmsley count. I hope that new DVD has proper crediting.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:25, Rpascual wrote:
I remember performing Pseud-O-Mem as a brief memory effect in one of the routines I had set up. I have forgotten most of it, although I do remember it using a key card in a unique way. I guess I have to take out my Best of Friends set and find it (Pretty sure it is in Volume 1).

Anyone know the difference between this one and the original one that appeared in Apocalypse?


I know the one in Apocalypse, (not using a key card as such), but not in Best of Friends. Are you sure there is a difference? In Armageddon, HL credits the *idea* to TL, but is clear that it is *his* handling.

Harry, please help here!

Tom

(Mockingbird is great, but I do prefer the memory approach found in Terry Lagerould's creation. Then again, I am not a mentalist, so that figures.)
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:58, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:25, Rpascual wrote:
I remember performing Pseud-O-Mem as a brief memory effect in one of the routines I had set up. I have forgotten most of it, although I do remember it using a key card in a unique way. I guess I have to take out my Best of Friends set and find it (Pretty sure it is in Volume 1).

Anyone know the difference between this one and the original one that appeared in Apocalypse?


Yes, but you could modify the effect so that it seems like a memory thingy, and Sal's memory opener is just perfect, I would say the most amazing self working trick I have ever seen.

I know the one in Apocalypse, (not using a key card as such), but not in Best of Friends. Are you sure there is a difference? In Armageddon, HL credits the *idea* to TL, but is clear that it is *his* handling.

Harry, please help here!

Tom

(Mockingbird is great, but I do prefer the memory approach found in Terry Lagerould's creation. Then again, I am not a mentalist, so that figures.)
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
You certainly could Smile

The use of Gilbreath is good to me. I'm very fond of sleight of hand, but Gilbreath plus riffles or rosetta gets me interested, as it does to the people participating.

(think your quote ended up mixed up with mine above)
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
I know ive posted this somewhere before...but you may find some interest in this. its me memorizing a deck of cards...i missed one on the recall but oh well, I havent done it in a while. its not a pseudo memory demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA64ISzfeB8
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Looch has one on his DVD.

Lennart Green has one too..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Psuedo-memory demonstrations (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL