The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Psuedo-memory demonstrations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
This is a great version of a memory demonstration...

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-d......ory-man/
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:58, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:25, Rpascual wrote:
I remember performing Pseud-O-Mem as a brief memory effect in one of the routines I had set up. I have forgotten most of it, although I do remember it using a key card in a unique way. I guess I have to take out my Best of Friends set and find it (Pretty sure it is in Volume 1).

Anyone know the difference between this one and the original one that appeared in Apocalypse?

I know the one in Apocalypse, (not using a key card as such), but not in Best of Friends. Are you sure there is a difference? In Armageddon, HL credits the *idea* to TL, but is clear that it is *his* handling.

Harry, please help here!

Tom

(Mockingbird is great, but I do prefer the memory approach found in Terry Lagerould's creation. Then again, I am not a mentalist, so that figures.)

There is a difference. I looked them both up this morning because I had never looked closely at them before. Awesome effects! I think I will be adding Pseud-O-Mem to one of my card routines.

In Psuedometry (the Apocalypse effect), a card is chosen and placed in the spectator's pocket; the deck is then looked at by the magician to determine which card is missing. The magician reveals the card in the spectator's pocket, and has another card selected. When that card has been selected, the magician divulges the location of the other three cards of that value. Mr. Lorayne also has some afterthoughts about revealing even more memorized cards within the structure of the routine.

Psud-O-Mem (in Best of Friends 1) is different in that a number is freely chosen, the spectator remembers the card at that number, then "mixes" the deck. The magician goes through the deck to memorize its order. The spectator reveals his chosen card and the magician tells him at what number the card lies within the pack. There are also afterthoughts to reveal other cards within the "memorized deck."

Great effects, thanks for asking the question and bringing them to my attention!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks for that!
Chris03
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Chris03
For me,Rain Man by Charles Gauci in his book : A Lifetime of Magic is fantastic and immediately is in my repertory.
With his secret weapon shuffle,RainMan is a marvelous pseudo memory demonstration.
Christian
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
666 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 13:33, Dr. JK wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:58, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 16:25, Rpascual wrote:
I remember performing Pseud-O-Mem as a brief memory effect in one of the routines I had set up. I have forgotten most of it, although I do remember it using a key card in a unique way. I guess I have to take out my Best of Friends set and find it (Pretty sure it is in Volume 1).

Anyone know the difference between this one and the original one that appeared in Apocalypse?

I know the one in Apocalypse, (not using a key card as such), but not in Best of Friends. Are you sure there is a difference? In Armageddon, HL credits the *idea* to TL, but is clear that it is *his* handling.

Harry, please help here!

Tom

(Mockingbird is great, but I do prefer the memory approach found in Terry Lagerould's creation. Then again, I am not a mentalist, so that figures.)

There is a difference. I looked them both up this morning because I had never looked closely at them before. Awesome effects! I think I will be adding Pseud-O-Mem to one of my card routines.

In Psuedometry (the Apocalypse effect), a card is chosen and placed in the spectator's pocket; the deck is then looked at by the magician to determine which card is missing. The magician reveals the card in the spectator's pocket, and has another card selected. When that card has been selected, the magician divulges the location of the other three cards of that value. Mr. Lorayne also has some afterthoughts about revealing even more memorized cards within the structure of the routine.

Psud-O-Mem (in Best of Friends 1) is different in that a number is freely chosen, the spectator remembers the card at that number, then "mixes" the deck. The magician goes through the deck to memorize its order. The spectator reveals his chosen card and the magician tells him at what number the card lies within the pack. There are also afterthoughts to reveal other cards within the "memorized deck."

Great effects, thanks for asking the question and bringing them to my attention!

Thank you for doing the research! This is what the Magic Café is all about Smile.
Cannister Macho Jury
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Cannister Macho Jury
Ben Earl has a great version in Gambit 2,unfortunately it appeared in a recent DVD with no credit.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Check out Deck Memorization by Mike Boden.
Card Cavalcade II by Mentzer
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 17:57, Cannister Macho Jury wrote:
Ben Earl has a great version in Gambit 2,unfortunately it appeared in a recent DVD with no credit.

Hello, Cannister Macho Jury.

"...unfortunately it appeared in a recent DVD with no credit."

Did this appear on Ben's "Past Midnight" DVD set, or was it on another person's DVD? Thank you for any additional specific information in these regards.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
McSweeney
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of McSweeney
Quote:
On 2012-01-28 21:09, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 17:57, Cannister Macho Jury wrote:

Hello, Cannister Macho Jury.

"...unfortunately it appeared in a recent DVD with no credit."

Did this appear on Ben's "Past Midnight" DVD set, or was it on another person's DVD? Thank you for any additional specific information in these regards.

Mike

Since the Past Midnight DVDs are now over 4 years old, and since no credit would be necessary if Earl's own routine appeared on Earl's own DVD, I think it's safe to assume that the set in question is not Past Midnight.
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1255 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 15:37, 1tepa1 wrote:
I am not quite sure who came up with the principle, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was Alex Elmsley.

Actually the basic principle is found in Scarne on Card Tricks. Forgot who's trick was it but at least it indicates that the idea is fairly old.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2012-01-28 21:53, McSweeney wrote:
Since the Past Midnight DVDs are now over 4 years old, and since no credit would be necessary if Earl's own routine appeared on Earl's own DVD, I think it's safe to assume that the set in question is not Past Midnight.

WOW!! What a snarky comment...and one that violates your own pledge (linked to in your profile) that you would "not be a self-righteous, pompous git".

Eschew obfuscation.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Yeah, I think it was Elmsley who discovered the Gilbreath Principle."

Actually it was Gene Finnell who invented the Gilbreath Principle. It was stolen by Norm Gilbreath. This according to Bruce Cervon.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Read the Castle Notebooks. Clearly stated there.

But of course if you also spent years studying with the Professor, perhaps you know better. What did Vernon tell you about it?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
There are quite a few folks who have claimed that they discovered it first.

Barry Solayme claims he published it before Gilbreath did, and that Gilbreath stole it directly from him.

There is a well established record for those who choose to do the research, and credit is still given to Gilbreath for the discovery.

As always, the further back you go, the murkier the waters tend to get. Thank goodness for the Max Mavens and other well read researchers out there who have hard facts to offer up on just about any "card controversy".

As for Cervon.......he wore an ascot........just sayin'.
McSweeney
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of McSweeney
Just as clearly as Gilbreath has been credited for the principle in a much larger percentage of the Printed Word?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Just as clearly as Gilbreath has been credited for the principle in a much larger percentage of the Printed Word?"

Which means what exactly? Vernon has stated that many of Dr. Daley's notes on tricks were posthumously credited to Annemmon because the transcriber confused Dr. Daley's word Anon (meaning anonymous) for Annemmon. Just because someone is credited in the printed word means nothing. One of Zarrow's Four Ace effects was attributed in print to Vernon. And the person who fixed the attribution? Harry Lorayne in Closeup Card Magic.
McSweeney
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of McSweeney
Quote:
On 2012-02-09 17:51, Slide wrote:
"Just as clearly as Gilbreath has been credited for the principle in a much larger percentage of the Printed Word?"

Which means what exactly? Vernon has stated that many of Dr. Daley's notes on tricks were posthumously credited to Annemmon because the transcriber confused Dr. Daley's word Anon (meaning anonymous) for Annemmon. Just because someone is credited in the printed word means nothing. One of Zarrow's Four Ace effects was attributed in print to Vernon. And the person who fixed the attribution? Harry Lorayne in Closeup Card Magic.

Please, inform me. I don't own the Castle Notebooks, so I have a few questions.

Is Cervon the only one who has ever leveled this accusation? Has this accusation ever been printed outside of the Castle Notebooks? Has there been a general consensus that this is the case?

If there hasn't been a general consensus, and if Cervon is alone here, then the Vernon effect is an ineffectual argument. That was a case of mere misattribution, where all parties agreed on the mistake and there was no controversy.

This, however, is an accusation of theft.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I have no answer for you Mcsweeny other than to point out the Castle Notebooks were never meant or publication so one can assume that this is what Cervon believed and since they were notes taken at the magic castle that this was something discussed and understood by the inner circle at the time.

I am personally doing a careful study of the castle notebooks since I believe that only a handfull of people will actualy do that. Many treasures within.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Btw, the word "stole" is a direct quote. Take of it as you will.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2012-01-18 12:00, Harry Lorayne wrote:
For those who care - Terry's Pseudometry is in the December, 1979 issue of APOCALYPSE. That's the original. I've seen some of the "take-offs" (not all, obviously). Considering those I've seen - stick with the original. Great idea. HL.

What a class act--Harry recommending another person's work ("Pseudometry") when Harry himself apparently has a similar version (i.e., "Psud-O-Mem" in Best of Friends, Volume 1)

(And yes, I realize that Apocalypse and Best of Friends are both written by Harry Lorayne. That still doesn't diminish Harry's strong unequivocal recommendation of Terry Lagerould's "Psuedometry" effect.)

All the foregoing is just IMHO; your mileage may vary.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Psuedo-memory demonstrations (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL