The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The must have gimmick post (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I was really interested in this post , but many seemed to ignore the question and gave advise about how one should start and so on ... I'm an established manipulator with various awards in eourope .. but I love to throw some gimmicks between now and then during a pure manipulation act ... I really think that this is an important question and a list could be made .
on the other hand these little secrets are sometimes dear to magicians even deARER than a big illusion . ( I once remember lance Burton feeling that way about a boby pin holder .. in the magic magazime if I remember well ) there are lots and lots of gimmicks some are hard to aquire , but these have prooved in many cases the real source of amazement .
I asck those who care lets stop giving general advice and dive into the world of these little gems .
thanks elias .
I'm opened a new post so that those who have already seen the previous post will notice it again.
.tahnks all and best regards.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Wire coat hangers, pliers, gaffa/duct tape and safety pins. For making a whole variety of holders/droppers for balls etc.
I've found these to be must haves. Also, a decent prop bag/case which stays open by itself. I use a doctor's bag.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 10:52am
...and a topit.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Yes you mybe right , but there are some pieces of art , that are difficult to make or have patent , these are the ones I'm interested in
I ll give an example , while ago I was in paris I went to dream magic shop and found a coin catcher its a gimmick to wich you attache any coin and it works ala cigarette catcher , never found it anywere else , for me it was like finding a tresurre , dsince I do a misers dream routine I ended up adding it during the sleight of hand and it gave a nice extra touch .. its like what peters marvy open hand production does to the rest of the routine .and believe me there are some wounderful silk gimmicks that do mirracles in the wright hands .and still widly unknown it would be great if we can help each other to find them .
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
So these are for personal use, or is this a fishing expedition for marketing a new product? Sorry, it's the cynic in me.

One I've been using is Michael Boden's "Grab and Go" for deck productions. You can find the how to vid on Hocus Pocus' site.

And sorry, but the best gimmicks are still going to be found in BOOKS. From coin slings, bobby pin holdout/holders, gaffed cards, ect, you can't beat Bill Severn's Magic Workshop.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
There is no fishing going here , and you might be right about books , but still there are some goog gimmicks that I go fishing for during fisms for example that I never found in books or other online stores .for example ive been in the hunt for sakoh card droper and extractor .. no luck till now .help would be appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the best deck dropper in the world. This is a copy of the famous magician Sakoh of Fickle Fire fame.

I have an original and love it, it is lighting fast and works on the left or right side of the body.

http://www.52magic.com/index.php?gOo=goo......uctname=
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Nice! I like that idea, Bill.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hmmm... I see a number of our items listed that are counterfeit.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fantasio Bic Ligher to Card Fan is a good transition trick.
http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......_id=4127

dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I thought fantasio stop making those. yes its one nice trick . is this droper the same as sokoh jaket retriever .
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fantasio may have stopped offering them for sale. I don't know if this is current stock or stock still on dealers shelves. Why I say that is because, I recently found Fantasio supplying his dancing cane gimmicks only to dealers. So I emailed him if I could purchase a kit from him. He never responded, which is unlike him, so I guess he will not sell from his site. I have also found other products of his being sold by dealers, but he said on his site is not available. So who knows?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what a "sokoh jaket retriever" is, does it look like one?

I know Sakoh made 2 types of playing card deck gimmicks. One is a Deck Dropper and the other is a deck ejector, he called a Deck Holder.
They were both $75.00 each at the time.

A little history. Kikuchi 1st introduced the Deck Ejector/Holder back in the 1980's. Sakoh improved the design and the method for release of the cards.

dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Its not retriever its the ejector ... excuse me .. were can I find that ?
why such nicve gimmicks and holders are dificult to find ..? these holders and gimmicks are what make a manipulation act magical .. and read this well . these are the differance between picking a silk from a table or making it magically appear .. these make the diference between picking a deck of cards to manipulate and making cards appear to manipulate them .. these cause a ball to appear insted of "traveling invisibly to the hat "witch is not as magical as working away from the hat . and the list can go and go...on the other hand it takes more time to adjust , get comfortable with ... but that's what take an act to the next level.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't know where you could get this ejector type gimmick. UGM had them when I posted several years ago and by special arrangement with Stevens Magic, Mark got several in. They sold quickly. Then I heard that Sakoh was a slow supplier and the item was removed from UGM web site.

This is a good example of magic items not being around forever, buy them when they are offered, and then don't trade them of sell them off, if you think they will be used by you in the future.

dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I hate that , but you are right . can you discribe the working I think that richard ross used something similar in his jumbo cards first production , but it was cloth . . he showed it to me at fism 2000 as we became friends .
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of Anatole
This list is not necessarily an endorsement of any of the products. I only provide them for you to investigate and for others to comment on.

There's a card dropper available at Tony Clark's website:
http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/......ct_id=81

There's the Murray Card Dropper for a full deck at Denny and Lee Magic Shop:
http://www.dennymagic.com/products/other......ropper1/

There's a card dropper sold at China Magic Shop
http://www.52magic.com/index.php?gOo=goo......dsid=646

There's the McDermott Little Wonder Card Holdout
http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/wpima......8219.jpg
(This item is from an auction and is no longer available, but it will give you a title of a holdout worth looking for, and possibly from studying the picture you can figure out how to make one of your own. You may have to save the picture to your computer and open it in a graphics program so you can lighten the image in order to see it more clearly.)
There's the Abbott Slick Card Clip
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Slick......oryId=-1

I think in Ed Marlo's _Card Fan Productions_ he also discusses card clips.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 10:50pm
Chapter Five of Fischer's _Illustrated Magic_ is devoted to "Fakes, 'Gimmicks.' and other Secret Accessories" and is six pages about gimmicks, only a few of which are "must haves." But just looking at the photos of Figures 82 and 83 on pages 76 and 77 is enough to arouse your sense of wonder and whet your appetite.

lybrary.com sells a pdf of _Illustrated Magic_ for the bargain price of $10.00. Chapter Seven of that book--"The Wonders of Card Magic"--has a section on card flourishes and is where I learned how to execute the arm spread and turnover, shown here:
http://users.erols.com/parmenides/Magic/flourishes.mov
(This is a .mov file and may not be viewable on Windows computers. The pressure fan and springing the cards shown in this clip were learned from Henry Hay's _Amateur Magician's Handbook_. It is Henry Hay's hands that are shown in the photos for the card flourishes in _Illustrated Magic_.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
154 Posts

Profile of alextsui
I have been experimenting with magnetic holders lately in a recent show. The advantage is that since items are only held magnetically to the holder, I can steal stuff just by grabbing it and sliding it off the magnet in a natural arm movement without any fingers moving. Other holders would normally need one to pry the items out into the hand with the fingers.

Magnetic holders also work well for ditching items- just one quick touch and it's on.

However, the downside is that you need to be careful what other effects you have in your show. I happened to be closing my show with the linking rings and accidentally put the rings too close to my jacket. I had this weird "ring linking to jacket" effect for a while.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Magnetic holders are great , you have to experement a lot with them to prevent surprises , I believe that some Korean magicians have deviced the most deceptive cards productions and vanishes using a combination of magnetic or shim cards in addition to BA . If you know what I mean .
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
The book 'Illustrated Magic' by Ottokar Fischer has a lot of gimmicks pictured and their uses. Here ia link to get the book, very inexpensive. http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Magic-......00OKBO8S
John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The must have gimmick post (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL